What's new

Problems with air compressors?

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
I think Randy is right. If you have 2 auto bays and 3 coin bays your air compressor is as important to you as your equipment is. If it were mine I would spend the bucks for a GOOD commercial air compressor which will cost more than that one. Just to take care of the foam brush and presoak we use 2HP uprights (Graingers). My 7-bay has a 5 HP commercial in it. I would still fix the other one as a standby if you have room for it.

The key is if you don't have air, you're shut down.

Let us know what you do!

MEP001

Reaction score
dbrown2911 said:
Also air seemed to be leaking from top of compressor head when running?
See if you can find exactly where the air is "leaking" when the compressor is running. You might have a blown head gasket, or you could have a problem with a valve that's keeping the compressed air from getting into the tank and it's blowing the safety on the head.

I wouldn't think a leak from a blown gasket would cause the compressor to trip.

Randy

Reaction score
Ok thanks I will look into this. Yes other compressor has motor and compressor on top but motor not wired. It is working hard getting hot and tripping manual overload push button on motor. And this small town don't have a grainger but have a small pop shop I can try. Thanks for info. Is a rebuild kit worth the fix if a new unit is $400??
What did you end up doing about your Air compressor problem? This is the last air compressor this car wash operator will have to buy for his 3/3.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What did you end up doing about your Air compressor problem? This is the last air compressor this car wash operator will have to buy for his 3/3.
Depends how ong you live:) Been thru a couple of Champions in 40 years. Maybe they are better now:)

dbrown2911

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! Yes it was blown head gasket. We have put another temp small compressor in its place while I am waiting on parts and have also dug into the bigger one that the previous owner was using as storage. Going to get both up and running and think I will be in good shape! Thanks again!!

Randy

Reaction score
I'd have to say you got lucky on that one, if it’s nothing more than a head gasket. If you’re getting a lot of oil in the tank or the compressor is using a lot of oil you might want to start looking for a replacement pump. I would definitely get the other compressor up and running.

MEP001

Reaction score
When the compressor motor started to fail, it was a big problem because the auto and the self-serve low pressure functions won't run at all. I added a second, smaller compressor and tee'd the two together. The peace of mind from having a reliable backup was worth the $750.