What's new

Problems with air compressors?

cruth25

Reaction score
1. I got a 6 bay self serve that has a 2 hp 30 gallon tank in it. Its a single phase 110 plug in. It recently started tripping my breaker. We think it needs a new capacitor. What size motor should I replace it with? 5hp? I like a good amount of foam brush action and presoak and tire clean psi for my customers.

dogwasher

Reaction score
I think you should probably replace it with the same HP motor...you will be fine.

MEP001

Reaction score
Don't spent $150-200 on a motor for a non-commercial compressor. Replace the whole unit with one rated for continuous duty that runs on 220V.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
1. I got a 6 bay self serve that has a 2 hp 30 gallon tank in it. Its a single phase 110 plug in. It recently started tripping my breaker. We think it needs a new capacitor. What size motor should I replace it with? 5hp? I like a good amount of foam brush action and presoak and tire clean psi for my customers.
cruth25,

If you suspect the capacitor, it should be easy to test it with a low cost multimeter with that specific feature or let a motor shop do a quick test on that component.

mike walsh king koin of bismarck

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Check the wires going to the capacitor. I had the same issue and found one of them had been rubbing against a piece of metal under the cover and created a short circuit situation whever it was vibrating. It was sporadic, didn't happen every time, just sometimes. Which meant it wasn't metal on wire contact all the time, just after vibrating a bit.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I spoke with my Director of maintenance services, he at one time worked in a motor shop. He said that a 2 hp 30 gallon air compressor is barely sufficient to handle the load of a 6 bay car wash. He said to take the motor to a motor shop and have the capacitor and the start switch checked, it’s more than likely the start switch on the back of the motor, it shouldn’t cost more $50 to have it repaired if it’s the start switch. Also check the pressure switch contacts, to see if they are burned. How old is this air compressor? We have a 2 hp 30 gallon air compressor at one of the washes that’s got to be 20 years old that’s still in service, running every day never a problem with it.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't agree with your DOM, Kevin. We ran a 6 bay for nearly 3 decades on a 20 gallon unit. A self-serve just doesn't use a ton of air at any one time. I believe you could run one off a bicycle pump if you have the stamina :D

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
I don't agree with your DOM, Kevin. We ran a 6 bay for nearly 3 decades on a 20 gallon unit. A self-serve just doesn't use a ton of air at any one time. I believe you could run one off a bicycle pump if you have the stamina :D
I agree, especially if there's no air used with tire cleaner/presoak or for air-operated pumps. I ran an old wash that used air only for foam brush; I came in one Friday evening to find the compressor motor had just failed. I had a small battery charger and a $15 12V compressor that I plumbed into the tank and wired through the pressure switch, and it lasted until Monday morning when I could get a new motor.

I remember one guy who would buy a portable diaphragm compressor with a small tank for each of his washes about once a year at $350 a pop. I finally convinced him to spend an extra $50 and get a 60-gallon upright for one wash - he hasn't touched it in 15 years.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
......I had a small battery charger and a $15 12V compressor that I plumbed into the tank and wired through the pressure switch...
Now that's getting creative. Next you're going to tell us when that failed, you plumbed in your old hand operated tire pump and hired the neighbor kid to pump it when a customer came in. :) lol

MEP001

Reaction score
Luckily I didn't have to - the compressor lasted through the weekend and had died but was still smoking when I got there Monday with the new motor.

dbrown2911

Reaction score
I came into a no wax issue in my auto bays and found my air compressor tripped off on motor overload. I reset it and it fired up but didn't sound that good. It is a Kobalt 60 gallon Cast iron oil lubricating with 155 PSI max. It seemed like it took frever to reach 100 psi and when it did it just kind of floated around until it got hot and tripped overload on motor again. I am new and never paid attension to what pressure is..what is a normal pressure to pump up to on these?? I have 2 auto bays and 3 self service bays that have foam brush and tire clean pumps... just not sure if compressor is going bad or pressure switch is bad and i am pumping it up too much?? help please!!

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Well, the one you have probably was set at the factory. How old is it. If it's taking that long to get it too 100#'s of pressure it might need valves (actually an overhaul kit). What is the name of the compressor?

How old is it, what HP is it? Is it the compressor that's making the noise and/or any air leaks while it's working?

A little more info on the specs could help in your diagnosis!

Randy

Reaction score
Oh Boy!!! It should go off at around 150 psi. Telling me that it takes long time to reach 150 psi tells me that the air pump or head it worn out. How old is this air compressor? Are you using a lot of oil or blowing a lot of oil out of the pump into the tank? With 2 automatics you might be undersized on air, you might have to go a larger air compressor. Id try to find another pump So I'd have a back up air compressor, Ebay and Craigslist are good plaecs to start.

dbrown2911

Reaction score
Ok there is also another compressor that Is not hooked up next to this one that is piped together for storage I assume? Not sure what's wrong with it but is this a common practice? If one dies then pipe a new one into it? The compressor looks new but when I came on board it had a lot of water/ oil in tank

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Air is drawn in thru a 1-way check valve in the head of each cylinder. That would be the first thing to check. If that check valve is bad then one cylinder might be pulling in air and the bad one is pulling it in and pushing it out so it would be useless (like a 2 cylinder motor hitting on 1 cylinder). That could be why the motor is working so hard to blow the breaker! That would be the first thing to check and would be a simple fix. Other than that then you would have to climb into the head and if you're not familiar with mechanics you might call a pro.
If you're planning on doing it yourself make sure you have all the right parts for it and in the meantime you will need to borrow, beg or steal something to put yourself back in business.

As far as piping into another compressor the PO probably did that just for extra capacity. Does it have a compressor & motor on top of it???

Finally, if you find that it is the intake valve, it should just unscrew off of the head and take it to a place that sells air compressors and they would probably have the part, or even Grainger's. (every town has a Graingers don't they?)

dbrown2911

Reaction score
Ok thanks I will look into this. Yes other compressor has motor and compressor on top but motor not wired. It is working hard getting hot and tripping manual overload push button on motor. And this small town don't have a grainger but have a small pop shop I can try. Thanks for info. Is a rebuild kit worth the fix if a new unit is $400??

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t think I’d try to rebuild a $400 air compressor. I’ve found that trying to rebuild the pump on the cheap discount store air compressors is a waste of time. I’d get the other air compressor wired up and on line, if it’s any good. Then I’d replace the pump on the one that acting up now, so I‘d have a backup air compressor. Ganging together the tanks is common practice when they are undersized for the system they are trying to maintain