What's new

Pricing

rdarwa

Reaction score
What is everyone charging? We just bought a car wash in TX and I think the pricing is set to low. How much are you charging for wash and how much time are you giving? How about your vacuums price/time? Fragrance? Shampoo? Thanks for your help!

MEP001

Reaction score
What is your pricing at now?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Be careful what you ask as for as pricing.
It might be conscrued as price collusion in the government eyes.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't think asking for a general pricing is the same as colluding with your neighbor to control a market.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
How does the government explain the fact that gasoline pricing goes up and down at the same time and the pricing is almost identical from station to station? This pricing fixing concern seems a little ridiculous especially when in my 35 years in the business I have never heard of any car wash being charged with price fixing.

chaz

Reaction score
To help answer the original question.....

After 7 years, I went from $2 to $3 s/s start for four minutes, 4 months ago. Also changed to dollar coins from quarters in my changers. A few "customers" have driven off, including a guy yesterday who waited three deep and was wondering why it wasn't $1.50 start up, my wash never that price. The dollar coin helps my average activation increase as customers are dropping , in many cases a buck for more time rather than a quarter at a time. I am ok with being the highest in my area on s/s, I know when my pumps are running I am making money, and I have a better customer base that appreciate a clean well maintained wash.

My markvii gt700 is priced at 6,8,10, and 12. Dryer on the 10 and 12. Considering dropping the 6, and adding an 11 that would add a second soap to the 10. The 12 includes trifoam and a 2nd rinse pass.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am $2 for 3 min. Thinking of going to $3 startup and more time as well.

Kevin James

Reaction score
The problem with the Self-Serve car wash industry is the public perception is pretty low. The public thinks the Self-Serve car washes as a CHEAP priced place that only uses a hose and some soap. They don’t see the general operating costs, water, sewer, taxes, insurance, equipment, etc. Then on the other hand you have the car wash operator who doesn’t have the gonads to raise his prices to a profitable level in fear that they might go elsewhere because they might save a quarter. The operators we like are the ones who charge $1.50 for 5 minutes, Hello this is 2014 you need to raise your prices! We charge $3 for 3 minutes on the bays and $2 for 3 minutes on the vac’s. If they don’t like it go elsewhere.

washme1

Reaction score
JMMustang is absolutely right. You can be violating anti-trust laws by discussing pricing.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Under pricing has always been an issue in all the car wash sectors but especially in self serves. I think the image of a self serve depends a great deal on the location and the appearance of the wash. In my area there are some very attractive units where I have seen women in nice dresses and men in business dress using the wash. On the other hand there are others that I would be afraid to wash my vehicle at. I totally agree with Kevin on this one. If your wash is well kept and offers a good selection of services in the bay, pricing should reflect the value they are receiving. I also believe a strong marketing campaign is essential in driving sales as well.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
How does the government explain the fact that gasoline pricing goes up and down at the same time and the pricing is almost identical from station to station?
Can only Speak for me. Each Business day we get faxes and e-mails as to what the new price will be and the effective time. Same time for everyone. We adjust price to cover new acquision cost and see what the people down the street and around the corner are doing. Sometimes there is a delay in increasing and margins get aqueazed and sometimes we hold the line on decreases hoping to recover some lost margin.

Some stations are on cost of supply pumped. The volume and inventory is monitored by the supplier. The Price change is effective to include all sales after a certain time of day. Prices will change to reflect that.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I have one wash at $2 for 3min in MN, and in ND $2 for 3:20 The one state is higher because of the liberals that put a sales
tax on every cycle. If you guys are price fixing, don't do low ball price fixing- please do higher. I am pretty sure because the waxman and I are the same price, it can't be construed as price fixing, because it would cost a customer 5 tanks of gas to compare our prices.
Generally a persons local competition will dictate your profit and prices. There are still some out there at $.25 for 30 seconds

rdarwa

Reaction score
I have one wash at $2 for 3min in MN, and in ND $2 for 3:20 The one state is higher because of the liberals that put a sales
tax on every cycle. If you guys are price fixing, don't do low ball price fixing- please do higher. I am pretty sure because the waxman and I are the same price, it can't be construed as price fixing, because it would cost a customer 5 tanks of gas to compare our prices.
Generally a persons local competition will dictate your profit and prices. There are still some out there at $.25 for 30 seconds

This car wash is crazy. Everything is set at .25. 1min on the wash. The vacs are 2 min. Fragrance .25. Shampoo .25... Not sure how long they get. Well...everything is about to go up!

MEP001

Reaction score
This car wash is crazy. Everything is set at .25. 1min on the wash. The vacs are 2 min. Fragrance .25. Shampoo .25... Not sure how long they get. Well...everything is about to go up!
That's 1980's pricing.

As a general rule, if you've got the best wash with all the bells and whistles and everything is kept working right, you can charge a premium and attract the most desirable customer base.

chaz

Reaction score
Hey Kevin, agreed, I am not the cheapest in town....but my equipment is kept in working order, I fix issues and send refunds for problems promptly. And yes, if they don't like it, go elsewhere. As I have i said, I am 3$ for 4 minutes on s/s. Others around here are $2 or even some at 1.50$ for four minutes. They can have the cheap and messy customers. My vacs are still 1$ for four minutes, with add more time feature. One of these days I'll raise the vacs. My auto is 6,8,10,12 and my average wash there is 10.50$

seattleguy

Reaction score
IBA's were 7,9,11,13 Just went to 8,10,12,14
SS cash just increased to $3 for 3 mins. each $.25 buys 15 seconds
SS credit card $5 start buys 7 mins. each additional $.25 buys 21 seconds.
raised max charge to $20. That's what gets pre authorized.

vacs $2 4 minutes.

So far so good. I think I lost some of my worst customers who created most of the mess - the guys that just toss their garbage on the ground. I have noticed more nice cars lately.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“What is everyone charging? We just bought a car wash in TX and I think the pricing is set to low.”

Perhaps a better question to ask is what is everyone making?

For example, in Florida, many self-serves are making 1/3rd less than what they use to and price charged is pretty low.

Since self-serve wand is rental business, I would want to know per capita income in the trading area.

This will provide you with the first clue to judge if price is too high or too low.

slamdvw

Reaction score
In Gillette, Wy, we're $1.50 for 3:36, or $0.50 / min on cards. Vacs at $0.50 / 4.25 minutes.

Every other wash in town is at least $1.75 start and $0.75 vacs for 3 minutes.

We're also the only wash in town with an outdoor bay, as long as the hose don't keep blowing apart, we get lots of equipment.