What's new

Pricing -am I out of touch?

washnshine

Reaction score
Wowsers!!! Id literally be rich if I cpuld chsrge that much!!! Just had our 3rd price incre3in 4 yrs, to

Wait for it

$1.50 / 4 minutes!!!
One of the neat things about the forum is that we collectively represent diverse markets and we’re all trying to do the same thing: offer quality service at a price point that works in our region.

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
Perhaps people should add the average household income around their wash. I think this would give people a baseline for if they are under or over priced for the local market.

Roz

Reaction score
Costs for chemicals, for pit cleaning, spare parts, and labor have all gone up more than any price increase mentioned here. You will always have a few customers that complain, most customers will not blink as everything is increasing in price.

Where have all the day laborers gone? Impossible to find help and the ones you do find are rarely worth the higher hourly wage you need to pay, or they don't want to do manual labor when they can zoom in their work from home. We need more immigrants or guest workers to solve the shortage of labor.

Eric H

Reaction score
Perhaps people should add the average household income around their wash. I think this would give people a baseline for if they are under or over priced for the local market.
My customer's income varies wildly. Minimum Wage may be a better tool used to understand different markets. I think Massachusetts is now at $14.25 with a $15/hr minimum coming soon. Someone here, I think it was Soonermajic's market, is at $7.25/hr. This would certainly help to explain why I can support a $4 startup while he feels his market will only bear $1.50.
In any case, I can't understand how there is much profit when charging such low prices (not a criticism). We are all buying the same supplies: vac hose, HP hose, timers etc. The only significant difference is chemical costs...and utilities...and your loan payment...and payroll... As long as everyone is satisfied with their Net income I guess it is none of my business what they charge.
Didn't I start this whole thread as a complaint about the number of blue berries in my blueberry muffin?

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I have a very clean, modern, well-maintained 5-bay SS car wash just outside Sacramento CA. In December 2019 AFTER I installed new Air Shammee dryers, bay booms, mat holders & signage, I increased my wash prices from $2 for 3.5 minutes to $3 for 5 minutes. I posted a notice 6 months prior, letting my customers know in advance & received NO complaints! We accept paper bills & all credit/debit cards (and absorb credit card fees). My vacuums are $1 for 2.5 minutes. This year, several dumpy SS car washes around me have increased their prices, at the same time their maintenance has dropped (dirty bays, no soap, worn brushes, problems with Cryptopay, no phone # posted). For now I'm very happy with my prices. I have a solid 4.5 Google & Yelp rating. I'm greeting many new customers every day & my car wash is busier than ever! I've learned in this industry that if you're going to raise your prices, customers need to see VALUE.

Last edited:

Islandwash

Reaction score
I'm in an east coast Shore market, my pricing has been for over 3 years, Bay start up is $2.00 for 2 minutes. Vacs at $1.00 for 3 min. I am going up shortly. Customers are more cognizant of the cost of living than we may think. Look at the price of Fast Food , all has risen in the past few months. Every one of our suppliers has raised prices since Thanksgiving . Minimum wage at $13 hour but all including myself start at $15.

jprb

Reaction score
I raised self Service prices last year to $1/minute. Most of my labor (time) and trash comes from the self service bays. I haven’t raised my IBA prices (yet), but chemical prices have gone up substantially the last couple of years.

My decision was also based on my other expenses- natural gas, auto fuel, and FOOD. Have you been to McDonald’s lately?

Attachments