What's new

Pricing -am I out of touch?

Bricks

Reaction score
After four years with the same SS pricing we increased it from $2/3.6 minutes to $3/4.6 minutes. I have already noticed many different scenarios with customers. Some make snide remarks. Some see the price and leave. One guy came looking for me because he thought it was broken because he put $2 in and it didn't start. He was a little embarrassed when I showed him the price increase. Then he made a snide remark. These are all cash customers. Most of the credit card customers probably didn't notice the increase and just swipe and wash. (we are count up) We now have the most expensive SS pricing in our 34K population city.
The wash I’m in contract to buy has 4 minutes for $1.50. That has to change. It’s quarters only too. Current wash is $1.75 for 3.5, so a little better, not much though.

washnshine

Reaction score
After four years with the same SS pricing we increased it from $2/3.6 minutes to $3/4.6 minutes. I have already noticed many different scenarios with customers. Some make snide remarks. Some see the price and leave. One guy came looking for me because he thought it was broken because he put $2 in and it didn't start. He was a little embarrassed when I showed him the price increase. Then he made a snide remark. These are all cash customers. Most of the credit card customers probably didn't notice the increase and just swipe and wash. (we are count up) We now have the most expensive SS pricing in our 34K population city.
Where do the ones that leave have to go that offers a cheaper price? Yours seems very fair and reasonable with the increase, but I don’t know what’s around you.

OurTown

Reaction score
Where do the ones that leave have to go that offers a cheaper price? Yours seems very fair and reasonable with the increase, but I don’t know what’s around you.

The cheapest one is $1.50/4 minutes halfway across town. Of course we are better in many ways. I try all car washes in town on a regular basis.

Eric H

Reaction score
After four years with the same SS pricing we increased it from $2/3.6 minutes to $3/4.6 minutes.
I went to CT, about an 1.5hours away, to visit my daughter and found a SS priced at $5.50/ time wasn't listed. This location was was not what I would describe as clean or well maintained. Every market is different but I think my customers would string me up!

washnshine

Reaction score
I went to CT, about an 1.5hours away, to visit my daughter and found a SS priced at $5.50/ time wasn't listed. This location was was not what I would describe as clean or well maintained. Every market is different but I think my customers would string me up!
That’s the highest I have heard of. I know the time matters, but still up there to start.

Randy

Reaction score
On Tuesday I have a service call planned to raise a local car wash here to $4.00 for 4 minutes. They are at $3.00 for 4.5 minutes now.

OurTown

Reaction score
On Tuesday I have a service call planned to raise a local car wash here to $4.00 for 4 minutes. They are at $3.00 for 4.5 minutes now.

That is a heck of a jump at 50%. (price per minute) Ours was only about 18%. I would be curious how it works out for them.

sparkey

Reaction score
I would be happy to get $2 for the 3.6 minutes. I'm about to make that move though.

Randy

Reaction score
I would be happy to get $2 for the 3.6 minutes. I'm about to make that move though.
I have a car wash friend who agonize for over a year on whether he should raise his prices as all the other car washes in town were at $1.25 for 4 minutes, he didn’t want to lose any business. I sent him the stickers to go up to $2.00 in the bays and $1.25 on the vacuums. About a month ago he pulled the trigger and raised his prices, cut back the time and not one compliant and he’s making more money now. Raise your prices and don’t look back.

OurTown

Reaction score
time wasn't listed.

I notice this most of the time even though our county's "weights and measures" auditor says we need to post it.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I notice this most of the time even though our county's "weight and measures" auditor says we need to post it.
Some areas require it. It's not required in Texas.

Eric H

Reaction score
Some areas require it. It's not required in Texas.
I don’t know if it is required and I’m not brave enough to ask the people that would know.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen the time posted in the North East except on places that use bonus time

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
December, 2014...after my price change.
The new owner is contemplating going to $4.00/3 min
IMG_0050 (2).JPG

OurTown

Reaction score
Has anyone raised their prices and it backfired? It has been over a week and we have been really slow. Could be the weather though. And gas prices. On the cameras I saw another person look at all the meter boxes and then leave. Yesterday I had a guy ask me if I raised it a dollar. After I said yes he made some type of comment under his breath but still used the minimum. Two others yesterday started the bays and then left time on them. I guess three minutes was enough for them? I figured since I am forcing people to purchase another minute then they would use it. Again these are all cash customers. No card users have mentioned anything.

Bricks

Reaction score
Has anyone raised their prices and it backfired? It has been over a week and we have been really slow. Could be the weather though. And gas prices. On the cameras I saw another person look at all the meter boxes and then leave. Yesterday I had a guy ask me if I raised it a dollar. After I said yes he made some type of comment under his breath but still used the minimum. Two others yesterday started the bays and then left time on them. I guess three minutes was enough for them? I figured since I am forcing people to purchase another minute then they would use it. Again these are all cash customers. No card users have mentioned anything.
I hope it works out well for you. I’m also in Ohio and it’s been very slow this week.

New Washdog

Reaction score
We're at $5 start, $1.25 a minute. Not many complaints. But geographical location and competition are everything.

David Rolf

Reaction score
I've been lurking on this post for a while and I made the decision to increase my price this weekend to $4.00 start price for 4 1/2 minutes. I'm at $3.50 now for a very busy 4 bay, 6 vacuum wash. I don't see any real impact on my customers. Just the other day I stopped and got a burger for $12.50 at Carl's Junior! They will get used to the increase like everything else these days. I'm the only game in town for self-service with a population of 7000. Can't leave money on the table in these times but understand it's different for each operator. Thanks for everyone's perspectives.

Etowah