What's new

Pricing -am I out of touch?

Eric H

Reaction score
I’ve been craving a blueberry muffin for a few days so I went through the drive-thru at the locally owned donut shop. I ordered at the speaker and drove around to the window. A nice pretty girl hands me my bag and asks for $2.97!!! I said “excuse me. How much?” She kindly responded “yeah, prices have gone up”
I may be out of touch but I didn’t realize things were this out of control.
I know that there are many here that are still struggling with price increases for their SS bays and vacuums. Does this make it easier for you to raise prices?
I’ve included a picture of my blueberry muffin for all of you to enjoy 7432F2B9-3D52-40F3-B19C-4F347519F05B.jpeg

New Washdog

Reaction score
I’ve been craving a blueberry muffin for a few days so I went through the drive-thru at the locally owned donut shop. I ordered at the speaker and drove around to the window. A nice pretty girl hands me my bag and asks for $2.97!!! I said “excuse me. How much?” She kindly responded “yeah, prices have gone up”
I know that there are many here that are still struggling with price increases for their SS bays and vacuums. Does this make it easier for you to raise prices?
I’ve included a picture of my blueberry muffin for all of you to enjoy View attachment 4750
Blueberry muffin? It is obviously a three blueberry muffin, hence the exorbitant cost! lol!

washnshine

Reaction score
I’ve included a picture of my blueberry muffin for all of you to enjoy View attachment 4750
Did it come cut in two? Maybe it would have been less had they given it to you whole. Labor charge perhaps? 😆

Monte

Reaction score
The question is.....will you return at that price? Or use a competitors wash, that hasn't increased it's prices for no justification. Muffins...car wash...coffee, it's all the same game. You will return and pay that price if there is no competition and you enjoy bb muffins.

MEP001

Reaction score
Blueberry muffin? It is obviously a three blueberry muffin, hence the exorbitant cost! lol!
I was gonna say, if I paid $2.97 for that pathetic excuse for a muffin I'd be pissed. Especially when I can get four really good ones at my local grocery chain for $5.

A nice pretty girl hands me my bag and asks for $2.97!!!
For context, how much would one muffin cost five years ago?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
from what I know, there are two ways to price your goods and services. The first is cost basis. The second is market-based. I think it's good for us all to analyze our own prices. We should know our market and what our competitors charge for similar services. If your car wash has better pressure, soap, options then maybe you can raise price.

I saw the trend with pricing and the detail shop changing about a year and a half ago. We raised our prices significantly and saw very little price objection from customers. Our schedule stayed just as busy as ever and the profits increased.

Some businesses take advantage and push it too far; that's why you got a fifty cent cafeteria muffin for three bucks.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
I wonder how inflation will affect EE pricing. Are the unlimited packages at $25-$30 per month sustainable with increased labor, chemical and other costs? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Eric H

Reaction score
The question is.....will you return at that price?
No, I won’t return. I know where I can get better quality for a lower price. 43BA22C5-98F7-4CC4-BE11-44BB2DE60096.jpeg
$2.25 and I’d walk naked through a blizzard to get one.
As far as Carwash pricing goes, I’ve spent the past 20 years increasing efficiency and reliability. I’m in a good spot and I’ll hold the line for my customers. I could easily raise prices but won’t...for now.

Eric H

Reaction score
I wonder how inflation will affect EE pricing. Are the unlimited packages at $25-$30 per month sustainable with increased labor, chemical and other costs? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
I’m more concerned (interested) in how it will effect the $3 and free vac guys. The one up the road has been there about 10 years. I don’t know how he can hold the $3 price. Unfortunately for him, I suspect it would cost $40-50,000 just to raise prices. He has “$3 Carwash” signs everywhere.
How would you like to be a guy finishing building a 5 million dollar tunnel in this market?

Bricks

Reaction score
Four tiny “berries”. Yes, it makes it easier to raise prices. I’m at $1.75 for about four minutes of heated, softened water. Thanks for the eye opener!

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
I just raised prices at my wash last week. Im sure I will lose some of my low end customers, but honestly that is 50% of the reason I am raising. I did take this opportunity because prices are flying up everywhere. Im in Jax, FL. Went to a local seafood restuarant that I have been going to for years last week. Fried shrimp basket went from $16.49 to 19.99. My wifes menu actually had it at 18.99, so they obviously have been raising prices for a while. At that price with a family of four I wont be back for awhile. The food wasnt as good either (assuming struggling for cooks), so that on top of the price increase, I can make it better at home. Ill keep yall posted on my price increase and how it effects biz.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I just completed floor heat system replacement at 3 locations...(7 months apart).
Propylene Glycol cost $28/gallon for the first job.
In August, the price was $34/gallon.
Yesterday I paid the same supplier $45/gallon! OUCH!

My supplier says "Supply Chain issues". He orders glycol by the tanker truck and this year he's lucky to receive half orders.

Materials in general ...water heaters and boilers, conduit, copper pipe and fittings, PEX, lumber, raw steel, stainless steel, etc., have seen significant price increases and reduced inventories this year.

My quotes now state "Prices valid for 15 days". I now require 100% materials pre-payment with bid acceptance.

I'm not in this business for the fellowship.

Roz

Reaction score
Our pit cleaning costs are jumping from $850 to $3200 due to (insert your pick)
Crazy! No rhyme or reason....

OurTown

Reaction score
After four years with the same SS pricing we increased it from $2/3.6 minutes to $3/4.6 minutes. I have already noticed many different scenarios with customers. Some make snide remarks. Some see the price and leave. One guy came looking for me because he thought it was broken because he put $2 in and it didn't start. He was a little embarrassed when I showed him the price increase. Then he made a snide remark. These are all cash customers. Most of the credit card customers probably didn't notice the increase and just swipe and wash. (we are count up) We now have the most expensive SS pricing in our 34K population city.