What's new

Potential purchase

MEP001

Reaction score
Mep said don’t have anyone on site that wants to sell you stuff.
Can you quote me on that? Because I see nowhere that I said anything close to that. Or are you perhaps sensitive to such comments because you're in the very position to make money off him?

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
If there is solid signs that the area is in a positive growth curve and, this is the biggest IF, you can get it at close to just the value of the dirt, it may be viable. Some of that equipment may be reworkable but the safe bet is to assume you're gonna have to replace everything. Equipment sitting for 10 years is a huge concern to me. If you can rebuild it, how much time do you have, or want, to spend to do it? It can be done but assume worst case scenario. With the age and lack of maintenance you're going to have to treat it like a frame off rebuild on a car. Just the pump that is in two pieces on the RO can now retail over a grand. From the pictures the building, lot, and islands are going to need a bunch of work. As someone else said you could easily be looking at $200K+. Depending on what you choose to do for an Automatic, it could be approaching $300k on top of your purchase price.

Last edited:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
New packages at 200-300K? Although I like new equipment a lot of these washes were built in marginal areas and won't support that. I see a lot of washes like these in the South that don't gross 50K/year. That's probably a big reason why it's closed and been sitting ten years.

JTR1

Reaction score
New packages at 200-300K? Although I like new equipment a lot of these washes were built in marginal areas and won't support that. I see a lot of washes like these in the South that don't gross 50K/year. That's probably a big reason why it's closed and been sitting ten years.
What area are you in?

mac

Reaction score
Can you quote me on that? Because I see nowhere that I said anything close to that. Or are you perhaps sensitive to such comments because you're in the very position to make money off him?
Reread your post. You clearly said don’t have anyone there who wants to make money off of you. That is what you posted. So you are recommending free advice from strangers to a new investor. Great advice there Mr Expert.

MEP001

Reaction score
You clearly said don’t have anyone there who wants to make money off of you.
That's still not what I said.
So you are recommending free advice from strangers to a new investor.
No, I'm recommending they get their advice on whether or not to replace all the equipment from an experienced operator instead of an equipment salesman.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I've seen people spend more than that. Not saying it's the right move, but they have. Anyone on my side of the business has. Some of us have enough ethics to try to talk them out of it but sometimes you hold your nose and take the money if you've tried. Sometimes you can't get them out of their "pot of gold dreams". Like I said, if he can get it for the cost of the dirt, it may be feasible but there are a lot of other factors that would make me nervous. What is the area doing? What is local support like, both wash owners and dealers? Is the plumbing, electrical, and sewer still up to code? Etc. Etc. Etc

JTR1

Reaction score
Definitely a possibility... do you have any recommendations on how to get this one to bring customers?

BenBranam

Reaction score
See if you can find a car wash repair technician in the area by calling any car wash distributor or chemical distributor in the area. Pay him/her for their time and ask them to do an inspection. What equipment works, what is going bad, and what is bad.

To do this right they will want the water and power on so they can turn everything on and run it. A good tech can really give you a good idea of what you will need to replace.

Photos are hard to see. One of your high-pressure pumps is definitely bad.

JTR1

Reaction score
See if you can find a car wash repair technician in the area by calling any car wash distributor or chemical distributor in the area. Pay him/her for their time and ask them to do an inspection. What equipment works, what is going bad, and what is bad.

To do this right they will want the water and power on so they can turn everything on and run it. A good tech can really give you a good idea of what you will need to replace.

Photos are hard to see. One of your high-pressure pumps is definitely bad.
OK thanks how can you tell one is bad?

Randy

Reaction score
About the only way to tell if any of the pumps are bad is to put water and power to the pumps and run them. Everything looks pretty dirty and corroded.

BenBranam

Reaction score
If the technician can't explain it to you then call another tech.

Bad, as in doesn't work or will not work for long. When some of your high-pressure pumps start sucking air you will get a pulse through the line that makes a lot of noise in the bays. It means the pump needs to be rebuilt or is going bad and won't last for much longer. Depends on what kind of pumps you have and who can do the work to rebuild them and if you caught them soon enough to rebuild or they have to be replaced.

There are so many ifs, maybes, and probablies, that a good tech will help you out and be worth the price you pay them.

Martins

Reaction score
So did ya ever buy this thing or just dilly dallying like usual?

;)

(i know this guy personally.)

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I would do a gut job and start all over personally. I just did with 6 ss only car wash and total cost was $30K for just about everything. This is my 3rd location so 7 years into the business I felt comfortable taking this project on with my warehouse personnel. I also purchased the pump stand used and rebuilt it (thanks Greg) and vacs from another operator here locally. I did the following:

Acid wash the whole place and the lot
Repair and paint the metal mansard
New Coleman bay doors and wiring to ER
New foam brush and triple foam booms
New low pressure and high pressure lines with trough
Rebuilt coleman pump stand
Rebuilt Fragramatics combo vacs
Lorex 16 ch video surveillance system
New Air compressor
New LED lighting

Still need to add a water softener and get the spot free system up but I wanted to get the place up and running so figured I would do that here soon.
No doubt I saved A LOT doing it myself and buying used equipment though. Best of luck and ask this forum plenty of questions, this is a helpful group!

Reaction score
This would be the best site for expert advice. Getting someone you can trust on site might be the hardest part. Most distributors want to sell equipment and don't care if you succeed or fail, they make their money regardless. Get your advice from someone who doesn't stand to make money off you.

I don't know how bad the pump stands are, there looks like a lot of surface rust and either rust or leaves on the floor under them. If they aren't rusting out, you could refurbish and replumb them. There's lots of used SS equipment out there to buy cheap if you end up having to replace the stands. Look in Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston, I know guys who have bought used equipment for $1500 that originally cost $20,000, still in almost perfect condition.
What site or sites are usable to find used equipment? I'll look around every now and again for a deal and dont have much luck.