What's new

Potential purchase

JTR1

Reaction score
There is a carwash in Milton FL that has not been used in ten years or so from what we can find. It is in need of repair and some TLC I was hoping to see if anyone had any advice regarding the equipment onsite.

If anyone knows the area I believe there is only one other car wash near by that is self serve.

This is my first carwash so I am pretty ignorant to the industry help will be appreciated

Attachments

JTR1

Reaction score
Do you plan on using that equipment? Some of it looks pretty rough.
Honestly I’m not sure if ill be able to the research I have done shows me the automatic is from 99’ and everything else might be from 2001 but I have been told the car wash has been sitting for 10 years inoperable

Twodose

Reaction score
That’s not really that old for the equipment if it was taken care of properly, sitting there for 10 years in the Florida heat and humidity obviously hasn’t done it much good. I would say an experienced carwash owner would have their hands full with equipment it that condition. It looks like you are in a fairly populated area, just curious how many bays?

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
I can't comment on any specifics regarding equipment, but from my 20 years as an engineer / project manager in industrial plants, be sure to avoid "optimism bias". As humans, we unfortunately tend to think that any project will cost less and be completed more quickly than it finally turns out. In thinking about this as an investment, I would factor in whatever your "worst case" estimate is for cost and time to get the wash running effectively. Please don't use your "hopeful" estimate for cost and time in any investment decisions.

Also, paying for some expert advice on likely equipment refurbishment costs would seem to be a really good up-front investment. If their advice shows that it would cost too much to make the project viable, then it would be money well spent.

JTR1

Reaction score
That’s not really that old for the equipment if it was taken care of properly, sitting there for 10 years in the Florida heat and humidity obviously hasn’t done it much good. I would say an experienced carwash owner would have their hands full with equipment it that condition. It looks like you are in a fairly populated area, just curious how many bays?
I agree, to say the least it will be a learning experience it currently has 4 self serve and one automatic that is pictured above

JTR1

Reaction score
I can't comment on any specifics regarding equipment, but from my 20 years as an engineer / project manager in industrial plants, be sure to avoid "optimism bias". As humans, we unfortunately tend to think that any project will cost less and be completed more quickly than it finally turns out. In thinking about this as an investment, I would factor in whatever your "worst case" estimate is for cost and time to get the wash running effectively. Please don't use your "hopeful" estimate for cost and time in any investment decisions.

Also, paying for some expert advice on likely equipment refurbishment costs would seem to be a really good up-front investment. If their advice shows that it would cost too much to make the project viable, then it would be money well spent.
Do you know where I would start my search on some expert advice, I would like to get someone on site. I always try to fight my optimism being a builder myself I have been on few projects where everything worked out perfectly.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would like make it operational and run it.
I think the point of that question is because it needs a lot of work and you're looking at a lot of labor to get that place up and running. If you are "handy" you can get it running for a lot less. My blanket recommendation is to probably forget the auto for now. If you decide to have an auto swap it for another newer auto (even if used) and you can make the SS equipment work with modifications. Mark VII is not my favorite but it works. I used to pull off the low pressure hardware off the individual pump stands and build a low pressure manifold for the entire wash.

I just refurbished some fragramatics vacuums and it costs on average close to 1K each to completely refurb them.

Meter doors with CC -$1500 each

New low pressure system and lines- 2K

Cat High Pressure Pumps may or may not work. ~ $700 each or

New lighting at ~$100 per fixture, plus installation.

They do make a conversion kit for the Rowe changers.

So without building a spreadsheet or even pulling out a calculator I'm gonna say budget at least 20K for the Self serve and building in if you do the work yourself- 100% more if you have to hire it out. Auto is a crapshoot but at least 10K to get it running and then you have a 20 year old auto.

Be interesting to see what the other guys think.

mac

Reaction score
I am a little familiar with the place as I sold equipment in FL for many years, but some of this is conjecture. I remember a lady owning it and this was her introduction to the business. The people who sold and installed the stuff were a$$holes. What they did bordered on criminality. As I recall the owner got fed up with being ripped off and simply walked away. So the equipment was poorly installed and badly serviced. Then it just sat for 10 years. A good hands on tech could get things running but it would take time and money. And it most likely had a bad reputation when it was open. The Mark 7 self serve stuff is junk. Poor design, over complicated and takes up way too much space. If you are new to this industry, and even if you have great skills at rebuilding things, pass on this. If it was a good deal it would not Have sat for 10 years. If you want to get into the business buy a good one in good shape.

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
Do you know where I would start my search on some expert advice, I would like to get someone on site. I always try to fight my optimism being a builder myself I have been on few projects where everything worked out perfectly.
Sorry, I'm on the wrong continent (Australia). Hopefully someone closer to you can help.

JTR1

Reaction score
I am a little familiar with the place as I sold equipment in FL for many years, but some of this is conjecture. I remember a lady owning it and this was her introduction to the business. The people who sold and installed the stuff were a$$holes. What they did bordered on criminality
I am a little familiar with the place as I sold equipment in FL for many years, but some of this is conjecture. I remember a lady owning it and this was her introduction to the business. The people who sold and installed the stuff were a$$holes. What they did bordered on criminality. As I recall the owner got fed up with being ripped off and simply walked away. So the equipment was poorly installed and badly serviced. Then it just sat for 10 years. A good hands on tech could get things running but it would take time and money. And it most likely had a bad reputation when it was open. The Mark 7 self serve stuff is junk. Poor design, over complicated and takes up way too much space. If. As I recall the owner got fed up with being ripped off and simply walked away. So the equipment was poorly installed and badly serviced. Then it just sat for 10 years. A good hands on tech could get things running but it would take time and money. And it most likely had a bad reputation when it was open. The Mark 7 self serve stuff is junk. Poor design, over complicated and takes up way too much space. If you are new to this industry, and even if you have great skills at rebuilding things, pass on this. If it was a good deal it would not Have sat for 10 years. If you want to get into the business buy a good one in good shape.

MEP001

Reaction score
This would be the best site for expert advice. Getting someone you can trust on site might be the hardest part. Most distributors want to sell equipment and don't care if you succeed or fail, they make their money regardless. Get your advice from someone who doesn't stand to make money off you.

I don't know how bad the pump stands are, there looks like a lot of surface rust and either rust or leaves on the floor under them. If they aren't rusting out, you could refurbish and replumb them. There's lots of used SS equipment out there to buy cheap if you end up having to replace the stands. Look in Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston, I know guys who have bought used equipment for $1500 that originally cost $20,000, still in almost perfect condition.

mac

Reaction score
Well JTR you will get different views on this. Mep said don’t have anyone on site that wants to sell you stuff. I guess he thinks salesmen do this as some religious avocation. A GOOD sales guy will try to sell you a package that will get you the greatest return on your$$$ and show you how to keep it working.
here are some random thoughts. I sold my business last year, for a nice tidy profit thank you, and have a wash similar to the one in question. I’m in Cape Coral FL.
Unless you have worked on this for many years your best bet would be to rip out all the old stuff and start with new with a warranty. That will cost somewhere over 200K.
The question now is will the site give you a decent return? There are enough Challenging things running these without having to rebuild everything. If the equipment is so sad you can expect to spend maybe around 50K on site improvements.
Do some real estate investigation. Is the area growing. What is average income within a 10 mile radius. Any competition within 5 miles? And most likely a bank owns it. Talk to them and express mild interest only. If they had it for 10 years they might be willing to dicker just to get it off the books.
These are things I learned, sometimes the hard way, selling equipment. And yes, if I got involved,I would do it for a profit motive. I was never the cheapest vendor, only one of the best in showing in showing people how to make money doing it. I probably talked as many people out of doing this as I did the others. Good luck. It never hurts.

JTR1

Reaction score
Thank you I appreciate that the area is growing, it is the only self serve within 6 miles or more I think all others are automatic so that would be helpful and potentially a problem for mud and big trucks that use the wash I am kinda of thinkin I could work one bay specifically for those guys “try” anyways.
Do you know how I can get in touch w a rep near by? Are you a rep also? I just want to make sure I understood correctly.

mac

Reaction score
Although technically retired I still have contacts in the biz. I’ll make some calls and get back to you.