What's new

POS Tracking Sales Help!

tw1012

Reaction score
I purchased a two bay in bay automatic and have converted it to a full service car wash.

I offer three different exterior packages (Basic, Ultimate and Hand Wash) and four Interior/exterior packages (Wash and vacuum, quick detail, full detail, ultimate detail)

Currently the workers use the ACCESS pay stations for the exterior washes and I trust them to do their own accounting for the detail packages. They take the cash and make change for the customer or if it’s a credit card they swipe the card using a handheld processor and have the customer sign.

I only have four package options on the pay stations so I have created different value swipe cards for the pay stations and the workers are supposed to swipe the appropriate package and then attach the receipt to the cash amount or to the credit card receipt.

My problem is the workers could be swiping the lower cost packages on cash transactions and pocketing the difference.
The guys seem really honest and have shown time and again their honesty, but you can never be sure.
I also trust them to fill out their own time cards and I am worried they are giving themselves a few extra hours.
I was more on top of all the details and felt more comfortable about it earlier this year but I have since purchased several new washes and I have a lot less time to spend on site.

I am thinking a new POS system will help keep them more accountable. I would like to buy a thumb print time clock to make sure they guys have to be there to clock in.

1. What POS system would you recommend (keep in mind I don’t have a large budget so DRB is out of my price range)
2. Is there a system that utilizes thumb print clock in or do I need to buy a separate system?
3. Any ideas on how to verify the packages purchased against the receipts?

Thanks!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I was more on top of all the details and felt more comfortable about it earlier this year but I have since purchased several new washes and I have a lot less time to spend on site.”

‘The guys seem really honest and have shown time and again their honesty, but you can never be sure.”

“I also trust them to fill out their own time cards and I am worried they are giving themselves a few extra hours.”

Usually when someone gets the business model wrong, and full-service has tendency to get out of whack easier than other formats, the harder you work the more money you lose.

Based on your description of how you operate this site and issues involved, I believe it will take a lot more than just upgrading POS to solve your problem.

tw1012

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong we are profitable and the community loves us. We have very loyal customers and they love the workers.

I just want to tighten up my processes so I can get a better handle on the transactions. One though I had was to use the New Square POS system which utilizes an IPAD. Maybe do a user interface that allows the customers to choose their own package thereby reducing the amount of employee manipulation.

I would love to put in new paystations that allow the customer to make the choices but I don’t have the revenue to justify that big of an upgrade so I am looking for a cheaper option.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Don't get me wrong we are profitable… We have very loyal customers and they love the workers.”

I managed a wash like that once. Then, I discovered my CSA was selling services for discount and giving stuff away to friends like tire shine. Customers loved it, I didn’t.

“I would love to put in new paystations that allow the customer to make the choices but I don’t have the revenue to justify that big of an upgrade so I am looking for a cheaper option.”

Cost of touch-screen POS with smart technology and networking (allows management of other sites) is practically inconsequential compared to business enterprise value.

The modern carwash POS is a profit center not an expense line item. Lease it.

Don’t get me wrong. Square is great technology for a one-person mobile detail operation because there is no one to trust but owner.

However, with dynamic business like full-service you need to know and track; 1) how and when cash is acquired from customers and; 2) how cash and services flow.

If you are absentee owner, automation is the most likely method to get the business model right.

tw1012

Reaction score
So how should I implement it? I have noticed in newer washes the pay stations are in separate area from the person that implements the wash cycle. I assume to get the customer to make the choices and pay for the services before he has a chance to interact with the employee?

I have also noticed that the new washes are offering 4 separate detail options for similar pricing for each package which I assume helps when identifying what service is being given to the customer while monitoring the detailing via cameras?

If I were to install one of the newer pay stations which would be the best option? I have heard they can cost up to $100,000 but I assume there are cheaper options. I would just need a system that would allow the customer to make their selection and pay and then have them show the printout to the employee who would have to manually start the wash with a code and then provide the rest of the services?

Even with the automated system what is to stop the customer from flagging over an employee and saying “Hey hook me up with Tire shine”

Thoughts? My wash only averages 60-70 cars per day (year end average including rain days) So a large lease amount is probably not feasible.