What's new

PDQ 4000 Tires and inner tubes

Roy

Reaction score
Getting off on your other subject, do you have Virtual Treadle? Sounds like a problem with that. There are a couple different relays, and it will also depend on the version of software you have in the VT controller. If you can not reach your distributor, please call PDQ Tech Services and they will help you out.

As for the distributor not wanting to fix your machine, please provide me with some more information, either by PM or phone, and we will see what we can do to resolve your situation.
Every time I call PDQ they tell me that they can not help me, I must go through my distributer. I have two distributors in my area, the techs for both do not have a clue.

Roy

Reaction score
Same here, I change tire and tube every time together. I also clean the rim as best as possible. These days, the tire dry rots before I have to change it. Since going to a 'tubeless' tire...problem has almost vanished. But I will say this...it always goes flat when I have my tie on or need to be somewhere else...lol. Standard operating procedure.
I checked my tires and the ones I am using are tubeless. All 3 of my 4000's have tires that are less than a month old, but yet I still replace one tube every 3 days on average only on the rail tires.

Roy

Reaction score
Roy, I noticed you said you are buying the tubes "by the case". How about the tires? Some years ago I had the same problem with two machines, 4000's. I have no idea why but whenever I didn't change the tire along with the tube, it would be flat inside of a week. I checkeds the inside of the tires etc but they would still go flat. As soon as I started changing the tire and tube, the prblem went away except for the normal flat. I probably only change 3 or 4 tires a year on my machines. As a matter of fact I have two I am going to change shortly because the tread is so worn ( on the bridges).
I change the tire after the 3rd tube goes flat. Last year I replaced 28 tires for three machines. This year I bought 30 tires from 3 different places each machine has 10 tires and 30 tubes, trying to see if it was from where I bought them. It does not look like it matters where I get them.

Roy

Reaction score
Getting off on your other subject, do you have Virtual Treadle? Sounds like a problem with that. There are a couple different relays, and it will also depend on the version of software you have in the VT controller. If you can not reach your distributor, please call PDQ Tech Services and they will help you out.

As for the distributor not wanting to fix your machine, please provide me with some more information, either by PM or phone, and we will see what we can do to resolve your situation.
The distributer that put my machine in is WET in New Mexico. I called Robert about this problem two weeks ago and he said that he would call me back at the beginning of the next week to schedule a time to come out, he never called back and I have left 3 messages for him since. The other company is Auto Auto Wash. I do not know is they are a actual distributer for NM, but they have a tech, but I have a problem getting him out because he is there to maintain the 30 some Auto Auto Wash car washes.

Roy

Reaction score
I used to keep a disposable coverall on hand for just such a need - nowadays I don't ever wear anything but jeans and a t-shirt and don't really go anywhere but the wash every day.

What are the inflation requirements/limits of a Laser? The tires on a Vector call for 70 PSI, and in five years I've replaced one tube. It still has the original tubeless tires with tubes in them. Maybe the high pressure keeps them from flexing and breaking.
From the book and the sticker on the Laser 4000, it says 25lbs per tire.

Roy

Reaction score
20-25 psi ,no higher than 40 psi. We run at 30 psi.

I figured I was not the only one who broke down ,while wearing my " Sunday" clothes.
If you have lasers you are like a doctor, you can and most likely will get a call when you are out for the night. Most of the time it is a tire problem. I have learned to have something to change into when I go out. I have put up with the tire problem for years and I thought that maybe there was something I could do to solve it easily. I built robots and automatic acid baths in the semi-conductor industry before getting into car washes. Maybe it is time that I better automatic. I am already making a replacement for my first car washes hand wash bays.

MEP001

Reaction score
Call the WET distributor in Austin, Texas. There are a lot of Lasers around, and if this was a common problem I assure you I would've heard about it before now.

lag

Reaction score
We run cheng shin tubeless tires,and carlisle tubes(seem to be the best) . We install an old tube as a liner ,and run at 30 psi. We run many lasers ,and very rarely get a flat. We used to have all kinds of problems with tires ,but through trial ,and error found the above system to work best for us.

The other issue sounds as if you do not have the most up to date software fot your VT. 2.1 or higher is the latest. if you do not have 2.1 ,just order a VT update kit (part#10141005 ) it will have a new chip ,and you will also add a relay. If you do not have a VT then your treadle needs rebuilt ,or the prox x31 ,or cable is going bad.

lag

Reaction score
Roy... One other thought. Do you have diamond plates on your rails where the tires run?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I don't have any of these of course, but has anyone thought about filling the tire/tubes with liquid rubber or something to make them "run flat" or something like that. I'd be awful unhappy if I was messing with these tires very often.

JustClean

Reaction score
Years ago my Dad had a ride-on lawnmower. Every second week he had to replace or fix the tube since he had a hedge that lost its thorns. Riding the mower along this hedge killed the tires. After fixing them for year I suggested to just fill the tires up with this emergency tire refill that you can buy for your car....He hasn't replaced a tire or tube since. Maybe worth a try?

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
Roy..We run similar to Lag. We buy tires and tubes from our distributor, use an old tube as a liner and switched to stainless steel rims several years ago. We monitor the tire pressure closely every P.M. service and inflate to 25 psi. Tire failure is a very minor problem. Years ago the recommended pressure was 15 psi on painted rims and we had major problems with tube damage especially on the rail tires due to torquing of the rims when reversing direction, and rust cutting in to the tubes. we have both types of rails, diamond plate and rough grit surface. Let us know what the cause was for your tire problem.

Gabriel

Reaction score
It seems I remember on the old Forum that someone had switched to some kind of go cart tire or something like that and had almost totally solved his flat tire problem. Does anyone esle remember that old post?

galen

Reaction score
Tires and wheels

Also you want to check the rollers on the rails. If they are worn, (12-18 months) then the tires may be tracking down the rail off to one side. This will cause a grove to form in the tire rubber. Also it will reek havoc on the inter-tube. Speed up wear. Rollers are important for everything to track straight. If you look inside the tire, it should be smooth. Go ahead, put your hand in it. It won't bite. If the tire has ribbing or wrought inside, you have the wrong tire. A cheap imitation. Get tubeless. There is no reason why you shouldn't get a year out of them if everything is set up right. And as was suggested, place another tube as an extra liner inside the tire. Pre-inflate the tube and let the air out a couple of times to center things and get the wrinkles out.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Also you want to check the rollers on the rails. If they are worn, (12-18 months) then the tires may be tracking down the rail off to one side. This will cause a grove to form in the tire rubber. Also it will reek havoc on the inter-tube. Speed up wear. Rollers are important for everything to track straight. If you look inside the tire, it should be smooth. Go ahead, put your hand in it. It won't bite. If the tire has ribbing or wrought inside, you have the wrong tire. A cheap imitation. Get tubeless. There is no reason why you shouldn't get a year out of them if everything is set up right. And as was suggested, place another tube as an extra liner inside the tire. Pre-inflate the tube and let the air out a couple of times to center things and get the wrinkles out.
My rollers are 8 years old on 2 of my machines...guess I need to change them!

mac

Reaction score
I find it somewhat amazing that one of the socalled leaders of our industry can not figure out how to do something as simple as a small tire. There is also a product out that comes in a small aerosol can that fills the tube with foam, in essence making it a solid tire.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I have been using the same two Automatics for over 6 years and have never changed a wheel, tire or had a problem with the drive system. It would seem that PDQ could improve on this design if others are doing it. This is the same antiquated system that farm equipment used 40 years ago. Someone is asleep on this one. I would look at other options or demand some engineering improvements.

lag

Reaction score
I have been using the same two Automatics for over 6 years and have never changed a wheel, tire or had a problem with the drive system. It would seem that PDQ could improve on this design if others are doing it. This is the same antiquated system that farm equipment used 40 years ago. Someone is asleep on this one. I would look at other options or demand some engineering improvements.
PDQ , to my understanding ,will not be making any improvements to the LW 4000. For years we have been making our own improvements to their design.

They have done nothing to help the end user in recent years. as a matter of fact they have made it harder for the lowly LW 4000 operators. Just read the number of posts from frustrated owners ,who all they want to do is to get their business back up ,and running.

We are lucky ,we have been doing this along time ,and can repair any issue that comes up,except one ,2 months ago I had a watchdog reset ,and lost my option number ,call the distributor,and the tech said they had to come out .We have had to do this before,and was able to do it over the phone. I told them we could do it over the phone,and was told NO. I called our pals at PDQ ,and was told to call the distributor. I have extra controllers , so the one with the wrong system number sits in a pile.

Washworld here we come.

One other note. this is not a slam on the people who work at PDQ (alot of good people who are doing what they are told), but the company itself(Management).

Gabriel

Reaction score
I would say that is a very good engineering solution and hopefully it will lead to a pleasing outcome. Let us know!

tn carwash

Reaction score
take your tire to tractor supply and have them order for you but be sure to order 4 ply and not 2 ply. they can also order your tubes just be sure to get bent stems. you can also order your tubes from kleen rite but not your tires as are 2 ply and they also have rims. the reason for 4ply tires is motor run on durning the winter. hope this helps