What's new

No Prep

madstack

Reaction score
In response to Teebox's question (What did Belanger offer that lets you not prep?) in the "Replacing Conveyor" thread, Belanger fully automated the wheel cleaning process and their top wheel and Quick Fire wraps do a great job on the windshield, fronts and backs, respectively. We get them on as fast as the conveyor can take them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have 4 locations in the midwest with no prep. I have AVW, Belenger and Sonny's equip. Key si not mfgr as much as the right stuff. SUre, thre is the occassional cooked on Bug / Bird poop issue. Manual time needed to properly resolve leads me to believe it is really not solveable in a tunnel. Key components are double wraps and 3 top cleaning pieces, mitters preferred by me but top brush works too.

2 pairs of Lower details, experimenting with filament help as well.

Only real regular issue is brake dust on wheels. Have chosen not to address yet due to cost of equipment, Horsepower, Chemical, and water. I may do it and add it as an extra option at a price.

madstack

Reaction score
Only one pair but the new conveyor should open up some room for more equipment. A second pair is one of our options.

BBE

Reaction score
Only one pair but the new conveyor should open up some room for more equipment. A second pair is one of our options.
How fast do you run your line speed with that setup?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
85 cars per hour
>> We get them on as fast as the conveyor can take them. <<

I would think a conveyor could take cars a lot faster than 85CPH, although other factors my limit the speed.

madstack

Reaction score
It's as fast as we care to go. It's 25-30 years old and that powerpack really heats up at higher speeds. I should have qualified.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
It's as fast as we care to go. It's 25-30 years old and that powerpack really heats up at higher speeds. I should have qualified.
Is it the oil? The Electric Motor? Something else? If it's the oil have you considered a cooler? If the motor, considered addt'l fans?

sudsurfer

Reaction score
I have 4 locations in the midwest with no prep. I have AVW, Belenger and Sonny's equip. Key si not mfgr as much as the right stuff. SUre, thre is the occassional cooked on Bug / Bird poop issue. Manual time needed to properly resolve leads me to believe it is really not solveable in a tunnel. Key components are double wraps and 3 top cleaning pieces, mitters preferred by me but top brush works too.

2 pairs of Lower details, experimenting with filament help as well.

Only real regular issue is brake dust on wheels. Have chosen not to address yet due to cost of equipment, Horsepower, Chemical, and water. I may do it and add it as an extra option at a price.
What are the options for no prep if you only have top brush one set of wraps and mitters? Not all washes have luxury of two sets of everything.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What are the options for no prep if you only have top brush one set of wraps and mitters? Not all washes have luxury of two sets of everything.
Have had washes with one set of wraps and when economics permitted a second set was added. If room does not permit a slower line speed may compensate somewhat. I call this the "Time on target" factor.

mac

Reaction score
Please help me understand something about mitters. I just don't see how a piece of cloth moving slowly (compared to a rotating brush) will remove bugs. Most any decent rotating top brush will take off a lot more. What am I missing?

hkim310

Reaction score
mac, most of the time mitters don't do a great job in removing bugs. We have triple mitters here at our wash and we are thinking about adding a top brush to try and help with bugs on front ends/windshields. The main downside that I've been reading about on these forums with the introduction of a top brush into a wash tunnel is there are more chances for damage claims. I guess you take the good with the bad on that one.......

TEEBOX

Reaction score
So, If I want to eliminate prepping and have a choice of getting Hi Pressure equipment or another set of wraparounds, which would you get?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
So, If I want to eliminate prepping and have a choice of getting Hi Pressure equipment or another set of wraparounds, which would you get?
I don't think we can give you an opinion without knowing what you are trying to target. Maybe neither will solve the issue. If it's front or back end bugs that take a lot of time and massaging perhaps neither will work.

You may need to experiment. Try manually applying HP where the issue is, or try manually brushing the area the way a wrap. would.

I think HP is the only way to go for areas like wheels with the nooks and crannies but you pay the price in electricity and water. Double coverage of wraps is great especially if the second set is placed so there is a fair amount of dwell time after the first set. This double coverage has helped for rears of SUVs and Vans as well as the high sides of the same types of vehicles. I don't think the HP would solve that issue.

Have a Flipping top blaster at a location. When I got the 2nd set of wraps I bypassed half the water and plugged half the nozzles. People still get the show, and I pay less for water. Need to downsize the pump and motor. The blaster really didn't accomplish anything as far as I am concerned. (Place has triple mitters, 2 sets of wraps now, 2 sets of lower details and a set of Van Highs)

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Thanks Earl,

Here is whats Happening!

I suffer from the back ends of SUV's especially where the rear visors on the new models top rear windows protrude out remains dirty. I have a upright wraparound that does not flex. I'm thinking to increase the amount of preasoak to help with this issue. I'm trying not to prep anymore. This may be difficult with my current set up. So, I'm thinking of adding on another piece of equipment to help. By prepping that area with a bucket brush works as well as spraying it with prep guns too get is clean. So now I'm trying to eliminate the prep process.

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks Earl,

Here is whats Happening!

I suffer from the back ends of SUV's especially where the rear visors on the new models top rear windows protrude out remains dirty. I have a upright wraparound that does not flex. I'm thinking to increase the amount of preasoak to help with this issue. I'm trying not to prep anymore. This may be difficult with my current set up. So, I'm thinking of adding on another piece of equipment to help. By prepping that area with a bucket brush works as well as spraying it with prep guns too get is clean. So now I'm trying to eliminate the prep process.
Is this something a rear hanging top brush could target? If you are otherwise satisfied with roofs, hoods and windshields, a brush that lowers on the roof and follows down the back of the car might help solve your problem.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Is this something a rear hanging top brush could target? If you are otherwise satisfied with roofs, hoods and windshields, a brush that lowers on the roof and follows down the back of the car might help solve your problem.
I know what he is talking about because I have one of those vehicles. If you've seen any of the cars from the early 50s that had the visor over the windshield (also seems to be popular on redneck pickups), just picture that over the rear window. No hanging brush is going to clean that. My IBA will clean it, but it's the rotating side brushes that get the job done.

TEEBOX

Reaction score

I currently have a top brush. It doesn't help!