What's new

New Laserwash Machine - problems

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Sorry guys....I look at threads on this site every day, but never seem to remember to check for PM's! The new machines have been working pretty good, although our summer volumes in upstate NY are 50% of what the winter months are.

We've had some issues with arch rotation errors, but PDQ downloaded a new version of their software a couple weeks ago and that seems to have helped. Once we got past the startup issues of solenoid valves that were blowing apart under HP and the wiring glitch that caused the one bay to not read the side of the vehicles, they have settled down and are a pretty good machine.

I can't wait to put them through their paces this coming winter and see how they hold up. At this point, I would not hesitate to recommend one of these machines to another operator or new investor.

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
How about an update a year later? starting to get interested in one of these except as long as PDQ has the current distributor be the distributor that rules me out! And they won't let me buy without distributor and install myself or with help of another competent distributor? still curious about long term updates that you guys might have after a year or more in operaton?

guitarandy

Reaction score
How about an update a year later? starting to get interested in one of these except as long as PDQ has the current distributor be the distributor that rules me out! And they won't let me buy without distributor and install myself or with help of another competent distributor? still curious about long term updates that you guys might have after a year or more in operaton?
It has been a good first year. There have been a few glitches but PDQ has been good to address them. PDQ support is the best I've come across. As for the distributor, I wouldn't install one without good distributor support.

Etowah

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I would have to concur with GuitarRandy. These machines are a solid IBA platform and I'm glad that I waited and purchased them versus the M5's. Mine will be 2 yrs old this fall and for the most part they chug along each and every day. Having owned L4000's and M5's there are some new issues to deal with like E-Chains but you don't have to worry about flat tires anymore.

We have had a higher incidence of main swivel failure than what I am used to with the other machines. It's PDQ Part No. 03240011 and they seem to last about 8 months before failing. These arent supported with a bearing above them like the L4000's and I think that has something to do with the additional side stress that they encounter. Just my uneducated opinion. I'd like to find another place to buy these, as they are about $160 a copy from my distributor. Has anyone else experienced early failure of these swivels?

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
How do they have side stress if there is not a boom anymore? Isn't there a trolley hose that moves side to side in e chain, like a G5? Do you have a picture of the setup on the new laserwash I would love to see it as I cant find any pics on pdq's website of the important areas I would like to see?

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
forgot to mention you want to get a swivel from Kleen-rite made by mosmatic part #SWM34412 its $270 dollars but will outlast all other swivels. I can only get 2-3months out of it but before I couldnt even get a month out of the other ones due to my chemical make-up, If you get 8 months out of what you have now then this one surely will last a few years I bet. I can only dream of getting that kind of life out of a swivel>......

Mike

Reaction score
PDQ has switched to a super swivel on the Laserwash 360 machines.
The new super swivel is simuliar to the older LW4000/M5 designs in where it is a duel bearing design (internal to the swivel) for improved reliablity.
The new PDQ part number for the current super swivel is # 03240017

guitarandy

Reaction score
I would have to concur with GuitarRandy. These machines are a solid IBA platform and I'm glad that I waited and purchased them versus the M5's. Mine will be 2 yrs old this fall and for the most part they chug along each and every day. Having owned L4000's and M5's there are some new issues to deal with like E-Chains but you don't have to worry about flat tires anymore.

We have had a higher incidence of main swivel failure than what I am used to with the other machines. It's PDQ Part No. 03240011 and they seem to last about 8 months before failing. These arent supported with a bearing above them like the L4000's and I think that has something to do with the additional side stress that they encounter. Just my uneducated opinion. I'd like to find another place to buy these, as they are about $160 a copy from my distributor. Has anyone else experienced early failure of these swivels?
I'm at 21 months (36,500 cars) and my original swivel just blew apart. I hope my distributor has one in stock. Of course it blew on Saturday night.

guitarandy

Reaction score
As usual Washing Equipment of Texas doesn't have the part. It went down on Saturday and I will have to wait til Monday to even order it. If I pay next day shipping I will only be down 3 days.:mad:

guitarandy

Reaction score
As usual Washing Equipment of Texas doesn't have the part. It went down on Saturday and I will have to wait til Monday to even order it. If I pay next day shipping I will only be down 3 days.:mad:
Wash Equipment of Texas found one in Houston. Please disregard my previous snarky comment.