What's new

New Laserwash Machine - problems

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
We have been up and running for about 2 weeks now with the new Laserwash platform. I have 2 IBA's and 3 SS bays at this brand new site. Overall I am very happy with the new machines, but have been having some typical software problems. My distributor has been working with PDQ on remedies to them and they have been able to fix most of the issues. These are units 0016 and 0017 so I expect that there will be some glitches that need fixing with a brand new generation of machine.

One of the problems that hasnt been fixed is the side measurement in one of the bays. One time it will read way left and the next vehicle it will read way right (all the way out to the side limits). I put the bay in maintenance mode and did a "Test, 1, enter" and pulled my truck inside. It went around it twice, measuring all of the sides correctly. I reset the unit and issued a test wash, and each time one of the side measurements was screwed up.

Not sure if any of you are having the same problems, and might have a remedy. My tech is coming back tomorrow, and hoepfully can get this quirk fixed.

ScottV

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
Scott-

What is the relationship of the underbody and the width measure sensors? Any possibility of that causing a problem with the measuring?

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Kris,

I'm not sure. My Distributor mentioned that when he tested his van with the wet wash (no undercarriage spray) that it worked every time. He says it might have something to do with the undercarriage spray causing intereference in the bay for the side measuring. To me that's a major issue, since only about 5% of my customers use the wet wash package. Everyone else wants the underbody spray.

I hope that you guys can figure this one out! At this point, the bay is closed down.

Scott

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Scott-

You mention "one of the problems" what are the others? so operators here that might be installing a new laserwash system soon will have knowledge of these issues so they can be addressed and fixed if the issue(s) were to happen at their site.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Well, lets see if I can remember them.

There was a casting that was cracking but has been replaced with an more robust version. It is where the shaft of the arch drops down through the box. I would assume all new models will be shipped with the upgrade.

We were also getting wash aborts - (error 212 Arch lost position). I guess they have determined that it is caused by the new feature where the arch goes across the front of the vehicle and oscillates back and forth to change the angle of impact under HP rinse. We've had to shut that off until they figure out a solution.

Something was screwed up in the programming of the door controls and I know our distributor worked with PDQ on getting that fixed. Now If I find one of them in the open state, I put the bay in maintenance mode, and then back in service and it seems to reset the doors and they close.

The "Flash Dry" feature is kind of neat to watch but we got some feedback from customers who thought that something was screwed up to be putting down spot free water and trying to dry it at the same time. When I tried explaining to them that it's actually supposed to be that way they would say "yeah, but it didnt dry the car all that well!" The flash dry isnt as effective as a double pass of just dry, so we have eliminated that feature from all but the bottom wash package.

Overall the machine seems to put out a good, clean car in a short period of time and dry's a whole bunch better than my M5 does. I wouldnt say that it dries better than my L4000, but I dont think they will ever make a machine like the L4000!

Top wash package is probably 1:30 less than my M5 or L4000 because of the way it rotates around the corners, the productivity arch rinse pass, etc. I think we are going to go back to spot free through the arch instead of the productivity arch because it does a better job on the side windows, especially when they have vent visors installed.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
An update. It's January 4th, and I am still unable to wash cars in this bay. The side measurement issue has not yet been resolved. My distributor has been onsite each week, more or less, from the time that they finished the install (Nov 24th) but the machine will not consistenly measure the sides of vehicles. I've been on the phone a number of times with PDQ Engineering and they have VPN'd into my site while we wash cars, trying to identify the problem.

Has anyone else experienced problems with their new Laserwash machine with respect to sonar side measurements? I'm at a loss on how to fix this and have only been able to operate one of the two brand new IBA's for the past month. I can't leave this bay open and expect it to wash cars correctly. On Christmas Eve I washed ~90 cars in the one bay, and none in this bay. I bet I watched 40 cars drive off as they werent going to wait in line.

PDQ has had my distributor change out the node, update the software, we've tilted the angle of the side sonar boxes and even installed foam board to cover up the windows on one side of the bay thinking that the glass might be affecting the measurements. Yesterday we test washed the same vehicle 6 different times and 3 of them were failed side measurements.

My distributor is coming back on Wednesday with more parts and more ideas on what to try to fix this problem, If any of you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it. To say that I am desperate is an understatement!

easywash

Reaction score
Compensation...

At best I think it's time to start asking your distributor & PDQ for some serious financial compensation...

guitarandy

Reaction score
Ouch! I was getting ready to order the new Laserwash later this month. Please keep us updated.

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
An update. It's January 4th, and I am still unable to wash cars in this bay. The side measurement issue has not yet been resolved. My distributor has been onsite each week, more or less, from the time that they finished the install (Nov 24th) but the machine will not consistenly measure the sides of vehicles. I've been on the phone a number of times with PDQ Engineering and they have VPN'd into my site while we wash cars, trying to identify the problem.

Has anyone else experienced problems with their new Laserwash machine with respect to sonar side measurements? I'm at a loss on how to fix this and have only been able to operate one of the two brand new IBA's for the past month. I can't leave this bay open and expect it to wash cars correctly. On Christmas Eve I washed ~90 cars in the one bay, and none in this bay. I bet I watched 40 cars drive off as they werent going to wait in line.

PDQ has had my distributor change out the node, update the software, we've tilted the angle of the side sonar boxes and even installed foam board to cover up the windows on one side of the bay thinking that the glass might be affecting the measurements. Yesterday we test washed the same vehicle 6 different times and 3 of them were failed side measurements.

My distributor is coming back on Wednesday with more parts and more ideas on what to try to fix this problem, If any of you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it. To say that I am desperate is an understatement!
ScottV, are you saying that you have two new machines, and one is working correctly and the other not? That's really odd!

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I'm nervous about saying that I think they have fixed the machine, because everytime we think that, something else pops up and bites us in the a*s! PDQ talked my own maintenance guy through the process of matching the wiring that he was seeing to the schematics that PDQ was looking at in Green Bay. They were able to find 2 wires in the bay node that were in the wrong positions. He changed out those two wires and it seems to have fixed the measurement problem. We washed about 50 cars in the last 2 days and have not had one instance of it not seeing the side of the car. The reason that I am cautiously optimistic is that Bay # 1 is wired the same incorrect way, but has washed cars flawlessly since we opened it over a month ago. We havent changed the wiring in Bay #1 because up to this point, it was the only bay that I had operating.

I have also been dealing with an issue with the controller / contactor for the HP pump on Bay #2. It has been an intermittent problem of not starting the motor that drives the HP pump. The controller never actually trips out (which would send me a text message) but the HP pump doesn't run. PDQ is going to replace that entire controller / contactor assy since my distributors tech has not been able to isolate the cause.

So it looks like we might actually have 2 bays running this weekend for the first time since we've been open for business at the end of November. Overall I'm still satisfied that I made the right choice by purchasing the new Laserwash platform from PDQ. I like it better than the M5 or L4000's that are at my other locations. I guess if anything, I have been "too patient" with getting things fixed. My machines were 2 of 16 that my distributor sold in his region and everyone wanted their installs completed at the same time. So people were stretched thin and it took too long in my opinion to remedy all of my problems.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
At best I think it's time to start asking your distributor & PDQ for some serious financial compensation...

Thank you, that made me seriously laugh out loud...that's all I can do is laugh after 10 years of this sh!t.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
ScottyV,
How are the laserwash's performing? Any updates? I have been looking at all kinds of IBA's lately and was optimistically watching your posts. Are you happy with the new platform? Do you use any of the functions for washing the back sides of mirrors..and does it actually work? Just doing some research. Nice to talk to someone who already has one.

Thanks,
Lighthouse.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Lighthouse,
Overall I'm very satisfied with the new Laserwash machines. Most / all of the initial start up issues have been addressed and they seem to have settled down and are now pumping out cars without any problems.
I am using a few of the new features but not all of them. The mirror wash feature works well and we have that turned on for all of the packages. It does cause the arch to miss the middle of the windshield on the drivers side of large vehicles, when it turns away to wash the mirror, but it is normally picked up when the arch comes up the passenger side.
We only use the rain arch for spot free delivery on the lower packages, but not on the top 2. In my opinion, if you apply triple foam you need to rinse it with the arch in order to get the side windows rinsed clear. The rain arch doesnt do that especially if the vehicle has vent visors.
I've had some positive comments from customers that are used to my other locations that have L4000's or M5's and have tried these new machines. Overall I feel like I made the right decision buying them, but I did grow a few more grey hairs during the startup and runin period!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Worked at a location w/2 G5's prior to opening my own wash.

Biggest consistent complaint was 'unrinsed'. They had trifoam.

Also worked at separate location for same company w/2 LW 4000's. Single foam. Never a complaint. Not one, ever. Just FYI.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Lighthouse, I use PDQ's Access "S" series pay stations because I now have 3 locations and all of them are tied into PDQ's Wash Access Loyalty System. We sell gift cards and wash club accounts online from our website, and it helps when you tell the customer that they can use those cards at 3 different wash locations in town.

The "S" series is a solid unit, was one of the first to give back $1 bills for change, and PDQ also honored our request about 4 years ago to update their software that allows for sales tax charges on credit card purchases which is one of the quirks in New Yorks tax law. Until then we were paying the sales tax out of our proceeds.

JustClean

Reaction score
Hi Scott
How are you going with your new Laserwashes? Is everything still working all right? It has been some while now and I was wondering how it all goes. Thanks a lot.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I also tried to PM ScottV a few weeks ago about his Laserwash's, but didn't get a reply. Maybe no news is good news.

Lighthouse.