What's new

NAYAX vs CRYPTO PAY

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the purchase of new credit card readers (swipe, chip, & tap) for my 8 SS bays. I've been using the Mercury Payment System from Carolina Pride and its been great for 10+ years. Unfortunately they sold off the software to a company in Canada called Spiffy Wash Systems and it is no longer supported by CP. We constantly have software crashes, etc. and Spiffy is nonresponsive to our call. My customers are getting frustrated. At the ICA show in Nashville, we checked out both Crypto Pay as well as the Nayax equipment. I'm leaning towards Nayax because the readers handle all three methods (swipe, chip, tap) with one box. I've done a search on both here and read most of the posts. Some folks back in 2019/20 were having terrible luck with Nayax from readers getting wet and locking up, poor customer service when they called in, etc. That was a few years ago, and I'm wondering if anyone can give an update on more recent installs, and if the same problems are still present.

Thanks in advance.

Roz

Reaction score
I hear about many more machines going down on Nayax than CryptoPay. The one box design is the only advantage of the Nayax. CryptoPay control sw panel is better and you can have remote control of the device with the CryptoPay. CryptoPay costs more if you purchase both swipe and tap systems but long term should not be a consideration. If meter box is small that may be a driving factor unless you add a standalone box for CryptoPay.
Both have poor customer service.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Cryptopay works relatively well and at this time appears to be the best out of the box solution for the entire wash. Downside is that is double the cost to have swipe and tap on all devices.

I bought two Nayax readers six Months ago but have not installed them yet. Sleek interface and my math indicates it will cost more in SS and IBA. But hopefully the more modern interfac e will even encourage greater use.

Reactions: sjb

Carwashking

Reaction score
I suggest let’s see what Crytopay brings to the Market at the ICA Show. Nayax for me is not as trouble free for self serve as cryptopay. I also have Monex in one of my locations and have a problem canceling after start up price for no apparent reason. I will spend a hour tomorrow on phone and offer video of what is happing. How does water drops cancel sale if made for Carwash operation.

OurTown

Reaction score
Has anyone on here had Nayax for years? They don't look like they would hold up well to chemicals, sunlight and ice but would like to hear some real world experience.

Blanco

Reaction score
Ive had both for years. Cryptopay on my bays and nayax on my vacs. If Cryptopay came out with a all in one card reader it would be a no brainer. Only downsides to Cryptopay is sometimes it does not accept a card for whatever reason which means money and/or customer loss. Also, the pre authorization charges for crypto pay will give you bad reviews and plenty phone calls.

Cryptopay

Pros
- Website is easy to navigate and look up info
- Fleet accounts available
- Customer service is great and always responsive (rarely needed)
- Can detect coin count status for cash sales

Cons
- Customers have to swipe multiple times to get transaction authorized
- Pre authorization charges confuses customers and promotes bad reviews.

Nayax

Pros
- One swipe or chip insert and its ready to go. Never loser a sale or customer
- No pre auth charges

Cons
- Website is very difficult to navigate
- Customer service is terrible

OurTown

Reaction score
Ive had both for years. Cryptopay on my bays and nayax on my vacs. If Cryptopay came out with a all in one card reader it would be a no brainer. Only downsides to Cryptopay is sometimes it does not accept a card for whatever reason which means money and/or customer loss. Also, the pre authorization charges for crypto pay will give you bad reviews and plenty phone calls.

Cryptopay

Pros
- Website is easy to navigate and look up info
- Fleet accounts available
- Customer service is great and always responsive (rarely needed)
- Can detect coin count status for cash sales

Cons
- Customers have to swipe multiple times to get transaction authorized
- Pre authorization charges confuses customers and promotes bad reviews.

Nayax

Pros
- One swipe or chip insert and its ready to go. Never loser a sale or customer
- No pre auth charges

Cons

I would like to add a con to Cryptopay but also take one away:

You have to use Worldpay as the processor and their customer service sucks.
You can call Worldpay and change the name of your car wash to add "Pre-Auth" as a pre-fix to almost eliminate the bad reviews and calls about the hold.

How well have your Nayax readers held up? How long have you had them? Why not use them in your bays?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Nayax

Cons

I wish the website was just difficult, I found it to be impossible! Maybe with repetition it would have gotten easier but I never got my Nayax units installed because of other reasons. The website interface is truly overwhelming.

Blanco

Reaction score
I would like to add a con to Cryptopay but also take one away:

You have to use Worldpay as the processor and their customer service sucks.
You can call Worldpay and change the name of your car wash to add "Pre-Auth" as a pre-fix to almost eliminate the bad reviews and calls about the hold.

How well have your Nayax readers held up? How long have you had them? Why not use them in your bays?
I agree. World pay is terrible. I have thought of adding the pre auth to the wash name but I just have been dreading the moment of calling world pay and getting transferred through six different countries.

Ive had Nayax for a few years. I purchased 19 and at first when I fired them up I want to say I had about 9 bad swipers. I purchased them all from gin san with my vacs. Not sure if gin san got a bad batch or what happened but eventually got those swipers replaced with refurbished units from Nayax directly. I was not thrilled about getting refurb units after I bought brand new but it was better than units that did not work. Here we are two years later and I have not had a single issue with any of my nayax swipers. Keep in mind I have them on my vacs which is a less harsh environment then the bays. Im not sure how they handle in the bays.

Honestly the reason I have not converted my bays over yet to nayax is because of their website. Its so difficult to navigate I don't even bother going on it any more to check my sales. Cryptopay website is user friendly. I do need to upgrade my bay swipers soon though as my Cryptopay swipers are near 10 years old. Ive have both and still can't decide which ones I want in my bays.

Blanco

Reaction score
I wish the website was just difficult, I found it to be impossible! Maybe with repetition it would have gotten easier but I never got my Nayax units installed because of other reasons. The website interface is truly overwhelming.
Your absolutely right. The website is impossible. It does not get easier. I quit going on it a long time ago.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the purchase of new credit card readers (swipe, chip, & tap) for my 8 SS bays. I've been using the Mercury Payment System from Carolina Pride and its been great for 10+ years. Unfortunately they sold off the software to a company in Canada called Spiffy Wash Systems and it is no longer supported by CP. We constantly have software crashes, etc. and Spiffy is nonresponsive to our call. My customers are getting frustrated. At the ICA show in Nashville, we checked out both Crypto Pay as well as the Nayax equipment. I'm leaning towards Nayax because the readers handle all three methods (swipe, chip, tap) with one box. I've done a search on both here and read most of the posts. Some folks back in 2019/20 were having terrible luck with Nayax from readers getting wet and locking up, poor customer service when they called in, etc. That was a few years ago, and I'm wondering if anyone can give an update on more recent installs, and if the same problems are still present.

Thanks in advance.
ScottV carolina pride has the best swiper in the industry I think have never used another reader that would read any card 1st time everytime. My cryptopays you have to swipe 3xs on a brand new one out of the bag and have a delay from hell in between. I have a wash I am debating hard on Nayax or cryptopay myself. I like nayax it looks way modern current to date with 2023 and 1 unit has chip or swipe or tap and has CASH APP and so many ways to pay. I know the lower income clients use CASH APP for everything and was thinking about switching just for that reason alone. Cryptopay people call raising sand ALL the time because of the pre authorization fee. I also heard but not 100% certain with nayax you got to run cat5 Ethernet cord to each bay if you don't want to use there cell service. Cryptopay to have both Tap and swipe you need to have another meterbox seperate just to mount all that which is ridiculous.

Someone needs to build a nayax system display style modern all in 1 unit chip,swipe tap with acceptance of ALL the apps Apple pay,Google pay Cash app ect. Have the durability & acceptance of a carolina pride swiper. The WIFI connectivity of cryptopay and setup plug & play. You could put them both out of buisness if they where $1500 each people would pay it and have a American answer the phone for technical support and have a log in website app for daily and monthly deposits. It would be a game changer for the Industry.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
The Carolina Pride systems that I have use a magnetic stripe reader from Brush Industries called "The Sidewinder." They are excellent in wet environments and hold up for many years. My problem is not with the readers, but with the Mercury Payment System that those readers / timers communicate with. That's what keeps crashing and leaving customers dissatisfied with our bays. At one of our sites, we are up to 65% credit, 20% coins, 15% bills for methods of payment. So it's critical that we have a system that's reliable. We've always used count up in our bays, and preauthorize $15. Most new customers call in to complain, but our voice message greeting explains the "hold" amount, and how the actual charge will come through the next day.

Getting the software bugs fixed on the Mercury System would be the best fix in the short term. But they do not have the means to handle chip card readers, or Tap and Pay so I really need to migrate to another system that can handle it.

I'm wondering if the wet environment is an issue for the Nayax readers, couldn't they be installed with a clear box cover to protect them. Just like the Hamilton DRS Changers have over the bill slots. The customer would just have to life the cover to access the reader.

Last edited:

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the wet environment is an issue for the Nayax readers, couldn't they be installed with a clear box cover to protect them. Just like the Hamilton DRS Changers have over the bill slots. The customer would just have to life the cover to access the reader.
I have thought about that too and seems like it would work great for tap or chip but might need to be excessively tall for swipe.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
For those folks using either Crypto Pay or Nayax, are you they able to charge sales tax to the transaction? In wonderful NYS, cash transactions are tax exempt, but credit card sales are taxable ay 8%. .

East Adams Car Wash

Reaction score
I currently have fleet cards for some of my accounts with my current card works system. Will Nayax function in some similar manner?

SuperShine

Reaction score
That’s what I use for my SS bay Nayax readers. Thought they’d be ripped off within a week but so far so good. 🤞 helps keep the readers clean and water free. Tap works without lifting the cover but almost everyone I’ve observed still lift and tap 🤦🏼‍♂️ for the record six months without any dead readers. A few external stop buttons though and they are a must if doing count up.

I use tap fleet cards too. Works great and no more demagnetized fleet cards to constant replace. I agree though, the Nayax web portal is crazy complicated. You do figure it out though but I’ll go a few months without logging on and forget the interface quirks when I want to produce fleet reports.

East Adams Car Wash

Reaction score
I use tap fleet cards too. Works great and no more demagnetized fleet cards to constant replace. I agree though, the Nayax web portal is crazy complicated. You do figure it out though but I’ll go a few months without logging on and forget the interface quirks when I want to produce fleet reports.
I am just getting ready to install my Nayax. Can you help me with how the fleet card program and Nayax more in detail?

mucoucah

Reaction score
I am joining the chorus of a poor experience with Nayax. Purchased on right after the SWCA this year, in early March. Spent a month trying to get a my account activated. Was about to return the unit when finally got the email.

My first login to their "backend" website was like "Holy ****"..

After watching their videos and messing around a little, I decided to adjust the settings to match my current rates, etc.. and lo and behold, now the unit wont boot back up..

I guess I am about to experience their customer service next week to try to get it working again.

the VPOS seems to have a lot of potential, it is just unbearably difficult to use and manage..

@tdlconceptsllc , how did you get CashApp to work with Nayax? What I found is that you can add the CashApp card to Goodle/Apple Pay and use it as a normal payment method via NFC. Did you find another way, without the card and without Google/Apple pay?

CashApp would be one reason I would keep insisting on getting Nayax to work..

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I am joining the chorus of a poor experience with Nayax. Purchased on right after the SWCA this year, in early March. Spent a month trying to get a my account activated. Was about to return the unit when finally got the email.

My first login to their "backend" website was like "Holy ****"..

After watching their videos and messing around a little, I decided to adjust the settings to match my current rates, etc.. and lo and behold, now the unit wont boot back up..

I guess I am about to experience their customer service next week to try to get it working again.

the VPOS seems to have a lot of potential, it is just unbearably difficult to use and manage..

@tdlconceptsllc , how did you get CashApp to work with Nayax? What I found is that you can add the CashApp card to Goodle/Apple Pay and use it as a normal payment method via NFC. Did you find another way, without the card and without Google/Apple pay?

CashApp would be one reason I would keep insisting on getting Nayax to work..

Someone mislead me on info about CashApp Nayax will accept the cashapp card you can swipe but no way on the app. I got to digging into it myself. So no real advantage on Cashapp