What's new

Mortons Clean and Protect Softener Salt

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
Yep - at one extreme, I've seen a brine tank, with the cap off the brine well, filled to the very top. Softener wasn't working... go figure.

And many times I've seen little to no salt at all in the brine tank. Softener doesn't work in this situation either.

We've seen salt bridging as well - typically when the user thinks if a little salt above the water level is good, a LOT of salt above the water level must be better.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW I've never had an issue with bridging, and I always fill the brine tank as full as I can.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
To follow up with this thread, I recieved an email and phone response to my inquiry. Here is the email version which reflects about the same information as I got with the phone conversation:

Thank you for contacting Morton Salt. We are sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with the Morton® Clean and Protect™ Water Softener Pellets product you purchased.

Our products are produced across many of our manufacturing locations and processes. Each of our processes are slightly different in how they manufacture our products, which causes a slight variation in color and size of the pellets. However, all products are tested to ensure that they meet our specifications prior to shipment. These visual differences will not impact the functionality of the pellets or negatively impact the water conditioning systems.

Will you please be so kind as to provide us with the following information so we may continue to log your feedback:
• the LOT number (near or on the seam on the bottom of the bag that will start with the number 5 and contain 8 digits)
• a picture of the salt

Should you have additional questions or comments, feel free to contact us via our toll-free number (800) 725-8847, Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST, or via our website at www.mortonsalt.com. Again, thank you for contacting Morton Salt.

At this point, I'm uncertain as to what to do. After clearing the small amount of scum off the top of the brine tank, the water seems to be pretty clear. I'll keep my eye on it and see how it acts over time.

Mep, I'm sure your comment works for you on filling the brine tank to the top with salt. But for me, it doesn't work. In the beginning, I kept the salt filled to the top and since I use a little amount of salt, the salt turned to mush and kept it from working correctly. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong with it. Plus you can never see directly how much water is in the brine tank after it refills. The water supplied to my wash is already softened to 5 grains and I soften to zero grains. So my softener only regins ever 9-10,000 gallons. Sometimes only 1-2 times a month. So the salt can sit in the brine tank for a long period of time. I can see if you have really hard water and your usage dictates multiple regins a day, then filling the brine tank to the top makes sense. So a blanket statement to keep the tank full of salt might not work for everyone. In my case, it doesn't work or make sense. I keep the salt higher on one side so the salt is out of the water and I can still see how much water is in the tank. The pellets disolve properly given my usage. It works better like this for me....

MEP001

Reaction score
Yeah, I've serviced softeners that hadn't worked in months or years, and the salt does tend to break down. Most that I deal with will use 15 bags of salt a month, so they're regenerating almost once a day.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
For now I decided to switch to Diamond Crystal Pellets...I picked up 10 bags from our local Tractor Supply Company for $4.99 a bag. It is snow white like the Mortons used to be...I can't see risking issues with the softener just because a Mortons rep said it "Shouldn't" cause any issues! Plus, at $4.99 a bag, its a little bit of a cost savings.

MEP001

Reaction score
That's a good price, worth a 10 minute drive the opposite way.

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
For now I decided to switch to Diamond Crystal Pellets...I picked up 10 bags from our local Tractor Supply Company for $4.99 a bag.
Snatch it up while you can. Tractor Supply's price on line for Diamond Chrystal is $5.99 / bag, or $5.69 if you buy 20+ bags.
Home Depot has it for $4.92/bag @ 6+ bags.

OurTown

Reaction score
Rural King is $4.99/bag for Diamond Crystal. IIRC it was only $2.99/bag when we bought our wash in 2017.

HeyVern

Reaction score
Step Saver today was $.15/lb + $8.00 delivery charge

MEP001

Reaction score