What's new

More CFL Conversion questions

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I have a wash with 400 Watt Metal Halide lighting running off 230 Volts.

I want to convert one fixture at a time as they fail to CFL.

The new CFL lamp will fit in the fixture just fine, but it is a 120V lamp. I have two wires running to my fixture, both 120V to ground and 230/240 across them. If I were to convert all fixtures at one time I would just change one of the wires to neutral in the lighting panel or breaker box and wire directly to the lamp socket, but I can't do that if I change one fixture at a time.

Now my crazy idea:
The transformer in the 400 W Metal Halide fixture is a four tap (120V, 230V, 277V, and 460V). I want to toss the capacitor and keep the transformer. I want to rewire the transformer, use my existing incoming power to the fixture and transform it to 120V for the new CFL lamp. I don't know how (or even if possible) to rewire it because I don't know the designed output voltage of this transformer. If I had this designed output voltage I could figure if I could convert my incoming 230V to something close to 120V. As I typed this, I just realized I could get up on the ladder and just measure it - so that's what I'll do.

What do you think? Will it work?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I have a wash with 400 Watt Metal Halide lighting running off 230 Volts.

I want to convert one fixture at a time as they fail to CFL.

The new CFL lamp will fit in the fixture just fine, but it is a 120V lamp. I have two wires running to my fixture, both 120V to ground and 230/240 across them. If I were to convert all fixtures at one time I would just change one of the wires to neutral in the lighting panel or breaker box and wire directly to the lamp socket, but I can't do that if I change one fixture at a time.

Now my crazy idea:
The transformer in the 400 W Metal Halide fixture is a four tap (120V, 230V, 277V, and 460V). I want to toss the capacitor and keep the transformer. I want to rewire the transformer, use my existing incoming power to the fixture and transform it to 120V for the new CFL lamp. I don't know how (or even if possible) to rewire it because I don't know the designed output voltage of this transformer. If I had this designed output voltage I could figure if I could convert my incoming 230V to something close to 120V. As I typed this, I just realized I could get up on the ladder and just measure it - so that's what I'll do.

Or....strip the fixture of the transformer, forget the 120v cfl and try the 277 volt cfl instead. We had re-wired all our Hubbel wallpacks at one wash to 240v and I was going to use just one hot and the ground but decided to try the 277v bulb..works like a charm. Getting same life out of them as the 120v bulbs I'm using at our other washes.

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you getting 240V as two 120V legs to the fixture? It isn't to proper electrical code, but you can use a 120V bulb with just one leg and the ground as the common. After you've replaced all the MH bulbs on a circuit you can then run one of the legs as a common.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
GoBuckeyes,
Good idea. As I have 240V into the fixture, those were the lamps I was searching for. There was not a lot to choose from. I didn't think to look for 277V lamps. I'll order a couple of 277V lamps and give it a try.

MEP001,
I had thought of that, but there is no ground wire. Ground is currently through the conduit - I don't know if that's to code either, but that's the way it is.

Kevin James

Reaction score
Why not do it up right and go with LED conversion kits and you won't have worry about changing the wiring.

MEP001

Reaction score
MEP001,
I had thought of that, but there is no ground wire. Ground is currently through the conduit - I don't know if that's to code either, but that's the way it is.
Yeah, I wouldn't do that. It is to code like it is, but if anything at all goes wrong the conduit could get electrified if you're using it as a common.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Why not do it up right and go with LED conversion kits and you won't have worry about changing the wiring.
Because LED conversions are EXPENSIVE. I do plan on doing that with my 320W fixtures as no CFL will fit in them. I am dragging my feet waiting (hoping) the cost of LED comes down.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW One by one I converted my Tunnel 400 W. MH to these.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-40744-lsi-legacy-surface-mount-led-light.aspx

The 400 W Fixture lenses weren't that great . The last two I go were the ones linked to. The 4 I got earlier were a prior model and about $50 more and they were great. These are better.

I figured saving 250W per fixture was about 2.5 Cents an Hour or about 30 Cents a day / $100 per year. About a 4 year break even figuring one bulb and Ballast Change saved.