What's new

MiFi Internet

Etowah

Roz

Reaction score
Is anyone using cellular internet to run their car wash (SS/IBA)? Our provider Comcast is terrible but we have no options. Each time they push out a firmware update at 1-2AM it knocks out the internet service until someone physically power cycles the modem. It is hurting the business and they have been useless in trying to solve the problem for the past year since we installed their service. Now looking at cellular solutions like a Mifi however hard to find good info on the service.

cooll903

Reaction score
is there an option in the router to auto restart everyday? or you can have a computer hardwired to the network with some remote software like teamviewer and you can login to the router and restart it but you would have to be up late or really early to do it. also make sure that you have a static ip and not an ip that is provided by dhcp from your isp. servers and the like hate it when the public ip changes.

Roz

Reaction score
Unfortunately a SW reboot is not possible. When I call Comcast they try to do such a reboot but then tell me to power cycle the modem before they will have a tech support person talk to me. They are useless.

I am considering using a mechanical timer to turn off the power to the modem at 6AM each morning for 15 min (smallest amount of time on the mechanism). Comcast is not consistent on the morning firmware update which adds to the puzzle. I cannot use a wifi controlled socket as I lose internet so I would not be able to turn back on the power - unless there is a wifi socket that is in the ON mode if it loses internet service (have not found such a socket).

Will keep looking at cellular data solutions so I can dump Comcast. Crazy thing is that my comcast modem at my other wash has not been rebooted in 3 years.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Do you need to use the Comcast modem? Usually you can provide your own and reduce your bill by not renting from them. I had a lot of issues with their equipment but once I bought my own it's been bulletproof.

MEP001

Reaction score
I helped a guy set up his Cryptopay using the method here. He's been running it for about four years with no issues. He only has his Cryptopay on it.

DavidM

Reaction score
I have been though the same issues with our DSL provider over the last couple years. There are some devices that can help. One is an outlet that automatically power cycles if the connection to the internet is lost. The functionality is called auto-ping. If you have a land line, there is a device that you can call into through the landline and power cycle whatever is plugged into it.

I know this only fixes a symptom but in areas where there is only one ISP, we are stuck dealing with these issues.

This one is may be more complicated than required ...... https://www.amazon.com/Web-Power-Sw...t2&qid=1600346868&s=industrial&sr=1-1-catcorr

If you have a land line ....

cooll903

Reaction score
I have been though the same issues with our DSL provider over the last couple years. There are some devices that can help. One is an outlet that automatically power cycles if the connection to the internet is lost. The functionality is called auto-ping. If you have a land line, there is a device that you can call into through the landline and power cycle whatever is plugged into it.

I know this only fixes a symptom but in areas where there is only one ISP, we are stuck dealing with these issues.

This one is may be more complicated than required ...... https://www.amazon.com/Web-Power-Sw...t2&qid=1600346868&s=industrial&sr=1-1-catcorr

If you have a land line ....
you can build that cheaper with a raspberry pi. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-zero/

12 bucks and 15 minutes

DavidM

Reaction score
Rarely is building your own solution cheaper unless your time is free. The link to "auto reboot if connection lost" is to reboot the raspberry pi if it loses its connection. In order to power cycle another device, you would need some additional hardware. I know it can be done, but not for $12 and in 15 minutes, at least for me.

There are some cheaper, simpler devices than what I shared that would do this too. The one I linked to is probably overkill for most people.

Dave in IL

Reaction score
We use a Verizon jet pack to run our cryptopay and our Unitec WSII. The cellular is much more reliable than the service we had through our phone/cable company. Seems like every time someone ran into a pole within a 3 state area our service would be down for 3 days. None of that with the cellular. Every once in a while I do have to re-start it, don't know why. The original jet pack we had had a tendency to overheat but Verizon replaced it free. We are happy with the set up and it saved us a bunch of money and headaches.

washnvac

Reaction score
Put a little digital timer on the power supply to the modem. Have it power down for 1 minute at 5 a.m.; there- it is reset. (instead of 15 minutes from mechanical timer)

Roz

Reaction score
Comcast tech visited us for the 10th time in a year. Brought a new business class modem that his supervisor had to approve. New modem is built by a private label vendor specifically for Comcast's largest corporate customers according to the tech. It has 8 POE ports which is better than the basic modem (4 regular ports). Tech gave me some story how the switch router attached to my old modem to have enough ports could interfere with the modem (never heard such a story). New modem allows us to eliminate the switch router. Will see how things go now.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
Plug the modem into a wifi outlet, there are dozens on the market, and you can reset it anytime you want to remotely.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Following advice from a previous thread, I'm currently using a ZTE hot spot with service provided by Consumer Cellular.

After finding the right location (attic) it has worked well until it didn't about 2 weeks ago. Seems that the T-Mobile/AT&T merger created a hiccup but tech support was excellent and after a new AT&T SIM card was installed, it's back to it's reliable self.

It's providing internet where there was none, allowing for the acceptance of plastic via the Coinless Mobile App, viewing of a Wyze camera, monitoring the entry door contact sensor and a newly installed water alarm.

All of this easily gets done on less than 3Gigs data/month and costs about $30.00.

Good luck!
MC