What's new

Menu pkgs for Petit. New type thinking...?

soonermajic

Reaction score
There are a lot of guys in S.Tx who are changing the thought process, on menu signs. They're putting most expensive on bottom, & giving it a different type name
They're saying it works great.
Here's what they're doing:

GOLD $16
2 pass PS, Triple Foam Polish, High Power Rinse, Clear Coat / Wax, SFR, Dryers

SILVER $13
2 Pass PS, High Pressure Rinse, Wax, SFR, Dryers

Rinse Off $10
2 Pass PS, High Pressure Rinse, SFR

Mud & Bug Xtreme $19
Undercarriage Blast, Wheel / Tire Clean, 2 Pass PS, Triple Foam Polish, High Power Rinse, Ceramic Wax, SFR, Turbo Dryers

What do yall think?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you need to keep it simple for the customer. Best wash on top. Best wash is most descriptive with clear benefit stating the most features.

It makes zero sense to price at $19. The customer perceives this as $20 anyway, so why not get the extra buck?

And also why not go even more expensive and put on a 3d presoak pass???That's what I do. My top price is $22 with a per car avg of $20.31.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I think you need to keep it simple for the customer. Best wash on top. Best wash is most descriptive with clear benefit stating the most features.

It makes zero sense to price at $19. The customer perceives this as $20 anyway, so why not get the extra buck?

And also why not go even more expensive and put on a 3d presoak pass???That's what I do. My top price is $22 with a per car avg of $20.31.
1 reason to not go over $20, is because 6 of our 7 tunnels has a top wash of $20. They also have wheel scrubbers, preppers, crazy light show & Tire Shine. None of which I have.

There are quite a few sites in Austin & San Antonio area, where guys have used this "teverse" menu. It is counterintuitive, to what we all think. But, they swear by it.

washnshine

Reaction score
40 years ago we used to have our menus start with the cheapest on the top and go the most expensive package on the bottom. I’m not saying that was the best thing to do, but I think more people had the patience/attention span to read through the whole thing than they do now. It probably also helped that there weren’t so many extra services back then. It was just whitewalls, under spray and the legendary Hanna polish ‘n wax.

soonermajic

Reaction score
40 years ago we used to have our menus start with the cheapest on the top and go the most expensive package on the bottom. I’m not saying that was the best thing to do, but I think more people had the patience/attention span to read through the whole thing than they do now. It probably also helped that there weren’t so many extra services back then. It was just whitewalls, under spray and the legendary Hanna polish ‘n wax.
Never thought about patience & attention span.

dax_festival

Reaction score
We put our highest wash on the top left so its the first thing customers read.

soonermajic

Reaction score

Im gonna disagree about pricing. Every marketing class in the world, says price to the nearest 9. $9, $99.90, etc...

I have town of 60k, w/ 6 tunnels (3 of which are less than 1 mile) & an7th being built!! #8is rumored on the way (thanks Tidal Wave!🤯🙄😡).
Avg top pkg is $20 @ those 6 tunnels. I want to be below their top pkg.
I will report my progress ...

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i have done it with 9's and other numbers and in my business it makes no difference, other than me getting an extra dollar. Add in the fact that over 50%+ pay credit and it matters even less.

ShinePro

Reaction score
I m going to add to the menu discussion by asking this.

with all the new stuff thats been put on the market over the last 2 years
Ceramic
Graphene etc
My middle two washes are almost identical in how the car looks on the way out and very similar experience in the bay
My bottom wash is the only one that folks complain about - but its less than 5% of my cars.

(We all had 4 wash packages because thats how many buttons were on the old paystations)
I am thinking about major changes to my wash packages after we do more testing with ceramic and graphene
We are thinking that Carnuba is going to be history!
do we really need to keep 4 or more packages/choices for them to select from?
I m considering making the choices even easier with only 3
Thoughts?

washnshine

Reaction score
Keep the premium sealants and high shine products on the top package only. Incrementally add everything else you offer, as you see fit:

Underspray
Wheel/rocker blaster
Tire/wheel cleaner
Bug/salt treatment
Trifoam polish
Additional detergent/presoak bath or pass
Traditional clear coat protectant or drying agent
Spot free rinse
High pressure prep or rinse (friction machine)

There are a lot of functions that can be gradually added and still add value as you climb up the menu. Three choices is definitely simpler on the customer, but either way, I would save the just buffed, high gloss, high beading shine products for the very top package only - whatever it is you are using.

Our cars looks great with a premium wash that includes a thorough cleaning (wheels, tires, bug prep if needed, trifoam polish and then a ceramic product called Vantagloss by Quest. I’ve gotten great results with the Simoniz ceramic product too. Using a ceramic foam polish and ceramic sealer really negates the use for carnauba in my opinion. I think most operators agree that it is not about the name - first rain x came out, then carnauba came out, then ceramic, now graphene - but it is about using the more advanced/latest generation products, because that is where the improvements come from - evolution - not what they name it. I have not given graphene a try yet - I really have not seen any washes marketing it yet, but I’m sure it’s coming.

ShinePro

Reaction score
Keep the premium sealants and high shine products on the top package only. Incrementally add everything else you offer, as you see fit:

Underspray
Wheel/rocker blaster
Tire/wheel cleaner
Bug/salt treatment
Trifoam polish
Additional detergent/presoak bath or pass
Traditional clear coat protectant or drying agent
Spot free rinse
High pressure prep or rinse (friction machine)

There are a lot of functions that can be gradually added and still add value as you climb up the menu. Three choices is definitely simpler on the customer, but either way, I would save the just buffed, high gloss, high beading shine products for the very top package only - whatever it is you are using.

Our cars looks great with a premium wash that includes a thorough cleaning (wheels, tires, bug prep if needed, trifoam polish and then a ceramic product called Vantagloss by Quest. I’ve gotten great results with the Simoniz ceramic product too. Using a ceramic foam polish and ceramic sealer really negates the use for carnauba in my opinion. I think most operators agree that it is not about the name - first rain x came out, then carnauba came out, then ceramic, now graphene - but it is about using the more advanced/latest generation products, because that is where the improvements come from - evolution - not what they name it. I have not given graphene a try yet - I really have not seen any washes marketing it yet, but I’m sure it’s coming.
😁
this looks like something I would write!

testing graphene Aug 9th
I ll let you know…..

washnshine

Reaction score
😁
this looks like something I would write!

testing graphene Aug 9th
I ll let you know…..
Please do - much appreciated. Always nice to get some feedback before trying it. I looked as the sds for the Simonize graphene and was surprised to see it contained mso. Their hot wax and ceramic does not have mso, and you generally see mso in the lower products. I’m curious. It is the same price as their ceramic at KR. What brand are you going to try?

ShinePro

Reaction score
Please do - much appreciated. Always nice to get some feedback before trying it. I looked as the sds for the Simonize graphene and was surprised to see it contained mso. Their hot wax and ceramic does not have mso, and you generally see mso in the lower products. I’m curious. It is the same price as their ceramic at KR. What brand are you going to try?
I have no idea what KR sells their stuff for
I m a Chemquest guy
No mso bs

ShinePro

Reaction score
back to the original question though
I think over half the people in line dont even read the menu
They either get the highest $$ wash or one that they deem necessary for what they want to spend or for the weather forecast.
Sunny all week = top wash
Rain in 2 days = medium wash
Most dont know what half the stuff on the menu is anyhow.

soapy

Reaction score
I have always priced my on the wash packages with cheapest on top and most expensive on bottom, 30 years and counting. Each wash package has a different name also.

Last edited: