What's new

Martial Arts

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
True Martial Arts are not considered sports. Judo (literally the gentle way) and competition Tae Kwon Do (the way of kicking and punching) are sports and recognized as olyimpic sports. Not to take anything away from either Judo or competition TKD, both are great forms of defense and can be lethel. Although I do watch "ultimate fighting" it is not what real martial arts is about. It is a sport based on technique with no "do" or "way".
A good martial arts program can be benificial to anyone, including children. It can give them disipline, respect, confidence, compassion and much more. I did not start untill I was 34 and it has been one of my greatest life achivments. I was so passionate about MA that my mom (who lives in another state) was inspired to join TKD and she made it all the way to black belt at 64 years old!
Anyone else have comments or interesting stories about the martial arts?

This is a TKD front kick:

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Here is one of my mom as a brown belt sparring with her 9th Dan (degree) instructor.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
This is a black belt Ninjutsu/Aiki Jujutsu/Judo instructor demonstrating proper technique.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I thought Everlast would make something that lasted longer than 1 month! I asked if it was supposed to be for kids and they said no it should have not done this. It scared the heck out of me when it split and spit dust into my eyes (I guess it tried to punch back). This one sold for $60.00, the next step up was $599.00! Needless to say I made them give me another one and I modified it for around $20.00. These speed bags are fun, the smaller they are, the faster the go.

CaliCWKing

Reaction score
This is a real jujutsu arm bar.

actually, a 'real" jiujitsu armbar, his right leg should be across the chest, or his right knee wedged into the side, "under" his "opponents" arm. This way there is no rolling to escape. Trap my head only and i am going to roll into the armbar and my arm will escape, as there is nothing but gi cloth holding me in.

Ive been taking Muay Thai and JiuJitsu for the past 7 years, wrestled for the last 15.

TKD is good to learn to stay in shape and develop discipline as a youngster, or to discover traditional martial arts as you get older, without the high risk of getting hurt. But in a one on one situation, the style is kind awkward, since you are not really protection your face. Its well known that a straight right hand is any TKD practicioners worst nightmare.

Judo is a lot more effective, IMO, and is a very good tool to know how to use.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
That is great! Do you regularly compete in Maui Tai boxing matches?
What type of Jujutsu do you practice? If I knew more about Japanese MA I might know by your spelling. Sounds like you have your striking and ground work covered!

I would focus more on my ground work if I were a cop or in the military, but I do well enough on the ground that I prefer to practice standing up rather than "rolling" with sweaty guys (I sweat a lot and I like wrestling women instead). I am NOT ranking on wrestling, it is a fine art that I do appreciate, its just not for me and I do not think I am at risk by sticking with TKD.

In sport TKD they do lower their hands but in traditional Tae Kwon Do your are taught to keep your hands up. Because TKD focuses on speed and perfection of kicking techniques, it is very hard to get in close enough to punch on a well trained TKD Black Belt. I am a striker, but I did enjoy my limited judo and Jujutsu training. The instructor in the picture is a 4th dan in judo (sorry I use Korean TDK terminology) and was at least 2nd in Aiki Jujutsu and Ninjutsu too. He had competed internationally in Judo and is one of the highest skilled Martial artist I have trained with. This was not a traditional class as we trained in several arts at once under what he called Ninjutsu. It was a very interesting class! I was able to attend for only about 6 months, in that time I archived the rank of 5th Kyu green belt in Aiki-Ninjutsu (that is what is says on my certificate). About the time I had to stop, we were starting Kendo and learning techniques with every size staff imaginable all the way down to sticks smaller than a finger to use on pressure points and joint locks. From this class I learned a lot of Japanese techniques that complimented my Tae Kwon Do.
You may be right about Judo, I have learned so much about my own balance and how to easily put some one else out of balance. I have forgotten the Japanese name but I have always loved the "one arm shoulder throw". Throws are very effective!

CaliCWKing

Reaction score
Not in Muay Thai matches, but have competed in wrestling and Brazilian JiuJitsu numerous times. Keeps me in shape year round and transfers over to other sports as far as conditioning goes.

I hear you as far as not wanting to roll around with sweaty dudes, i think i have just gotten used to it over the years and dont pay it no mind. But of course when i go home at night i like to wrestle women as well :).

Danny

Reaction score
I know this thread has been quiet for awhile but thought I would add my own. I trained in Brazilian jiu jitsu for 2-3 yrs and then stopped when I got married. It has been 4-5 yrs but last week I started at a local school again. It felt GREAT! I was wore out but loved it, that was mainly do to rolling with a 275lbs guy and I'm 150lbs he he he I love it!
CaliCWking is right with the armbar techniques. It is possible to roll out of the armbar with knee tight in the armpit if the opponent doesn't roll with you. I would like to add Muay Thai to my skills since it is also offered at this new school. Well rounded is standing and on the ground after all.

Danny

Reaction score
I took my first Muay Thai class last night...man do I have a lot to learn. One of the things I like is this instructor incorporates sport and street into his training. He also helps in the transitions from Muay Thai to Jiu Jitsu to make a well rounded individual.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Sounds fun! Does the school have regular matches once you have practiced enough?
I watched a Maui Thai fight the other night and that leg kicking looks painful!

Danny

Reaction score
The school is part of 3 affiliated schools. There is talk of some interschool tournaments down the road. Their rules are no sparring for 6 months. Keeps everyone safe which is always a good thing. Muay Thai can be a brutal striking art, anyone with doubts check youtube! I am still getting into shape, building cardio now, but I will do the brazilian jiu jitsu tournaments when they have them. I have several years experience in that and can hold my own.

Danny

Reaction score
In a traditional BJJ match it is straight grappling. Street and MMA BJJ incorporates striking. I have trained quite a bit in street, no-gi, and mma with cops, marines, and cage fighters we will spar allowing light punches, light elbows, open handed or grappling gloves. Punching and kicking with BJJ is mainly to open someone up for the submission. But to be well rounded you have to have a standing and ground game.