What's new

LW4000 didn't measure a corvette

HCW

Reaction score
Can a LW4000 measure the front end of a corvette or is it not possible? We started washing cars yesterday and everything was going well until a mid 90's corvette pulled in, all the passes cleared the car EXEPT the last pass, the spot free, it impacted the front end! The customer was nice enough to try it again after I adjusted the length from 7 to 8 but same result, arch cleared the front by a couple of inches on all passes EXEPT the spot free. Does the arch get closer to the vehicle on last pass? I adjusted the length from 7 to 8 with same result (on corvette only, all the other vehicles we washed didn't have any problem). Is it because the front end on this car is very low?
Any ideas?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can a LW4000 measure the front end of a corvette or is it not possible? We started washing cars yesterday and everything was going well until a mid 90's corvette pulled in, all the passes cleared the car EXEPT the last pass, the spot free, it impacted the front end! The customer was nice enough to try it again after I adjusted the length from 7 to 8 but same result, arch cleared the front by a couple of inches on all passes EXEPT the spot free. Does the arch get closer to the vehicle on last pass? I adjusted the length from 7 to 8 with same result (on corvette only, all the other vehicles we washed didn't have any problem). Is it because the front end on this car is very low?
Any ideas?
1. test a car you know it sizes properly. what is the result?

2. what on the laser adjusts the wash to the front? ultrasonic?

3. does the laser use an ultrasonic to sense the car every pass because on my machine it sizes the car once then a wheel count prox dictates all other passes length.

good luck!

boywonder

Reaction score
The T-bar eyes are what see's the front and rear of the vehicle. So what you are saying is that it completes the pass prior to the spot free, goes to clear the dump valve and then starts the spot free, then impacts? Are your tires inflated properly? Are the speeds vastly different then from the prior passes to this last one? It could be that the front eye is bouncing across of through the front end of the car. Use to have that problem alot of the Ford 4x4 where it could see through the rear wheel well housing. Having run a LW4000 for a lot of years and I never had problems with a corvette. When you adjusted the length after the first impact did the second impact move forward of the previous, or was it in the same spot?

HCW

Reaction score
The T-bar eyes are what see's the front and rear of the vehicle. So what you are saying is that it completes the pass prior to the spot free, goes to clear the dump valve and then starts the spot free, then impacts? Are your tires inflated properly? Are the speeds vastly different then from the prior passes to this last one? It could be that the front eye is bouncing across of through the front end of the car. Use to have that problem alot of the Ford 4x4 where it could see through the rear wheel well housing. Having run a LW4000 for a lot of years and I never had problems with a corvette. When you adjusted the length after the first impact did the second impact move forward of the previous, or was it in the same spot?
So what you are saying is that it completes the pass prior to the spot free, goes to clear the dump valve and then starts the spot free, then impacts? Yep
Tires are new, and no issues with all other cars so far. i was wondering if the T bars are adjustable? If so, maybe they need to be lowered to detect a slanted front end like a corvette? But then WHY did the arm clear the car on all the other passes?

Scrub Free

Reaction score
So funny I had same issues with Ford 4x4 maybe I don't get many of that model anymore but it went away after a few years.
Be sure Bridge is going home. Otherwise
Weak amp or weak t bar eyes

boywonder

Reaction score
The T-bars are adjustable. I believe that the driver side should be around 18" and the pass side around 36". I haven't owned a 4000 in years but those numbers seem to stick in my head. But you have to make sure they clear all bay obstructions. But it sounds like your getting a false reading from your photo eyes. But heres the thing those photo eyes usually fail to the opposite way, meaning they don't see each other and end up going full limit. Try turning down your amp in the bridge box. Usually they should be around 3, turning them down, will dumb down the eyes. Also was the sun coming in the exit end? When we had problems with the Ford 4x4's its was always in the afternoon, with the bright sun shining in that end of the bay. I know its hard to figure this out, especially when you don't have access to these types of cars on a regular basis.

HCW

Reaction score
The T-bars are adjustable. I believe that the driver side should be around 18" and the pass side around 36". I haven't owned a 4000 in years but those numbers seem to stick in my head. But you have to make sure they clear all bay obstructions. But it sounds like your getting a false reading from your photo eyes. But heres the thing those photo eyes usually fail to the opposite way, meaning they don't see each other and end up going full limit. Try turning down your amp in the bridge box. Usually they should be around 3, turning them down, will dumb down the eyes. Also was the sun coming in the exit end? When we had problems with the Ford 4x4's its was always in the afternoon, with the bright sun shining in that end of the bay. I know its hard to figure this out, especially when you don't have access to these types of cars on a regular basis.
Yes it was in the afternoon when it happened, but why would it measure correctly all other passes but not the last one(spot free)? Also why we didn't have any issues with all the other cars we washed? Sorry for all these questions but we've only had it running for 2 days now. The driver side Tbar is 7" off the ground and the passenger side is 40" off the ground. I contacted the PDQ installer this morning and he said that we need to accept that it won't wash all shapes of cars.

soonermajic

Reaction score
HCW, sounds like you have had a great experience, throughout this process, w/ your distributor...

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I contacted the PDQ installer this morning and he said that we need to accept that it won't wash all shapes of cars.
Frankly, I think that is a cop out. Although I have never owned a PDQ, it stands to reason that if an auto can't see the car, it should go to "Full limit" or not wash it at all. I'm not buying it...someone can fix that machine.

boywonder

Reaction score
Its not the fact that its not seeing the car, it is. What might be happening is the front photo beam is reflecting across the hood, around the car, what ever. When it sees itself its thinks its at the end of the car and moves to its next process. Im assuming that the previous pass is like a HP rinse. When you mix a low vehicle, sunlight, and water you have alot of reflective surfaces for that beam to bounce across and connect. I would say to find a corvette or similar vehicle, and try washing it in the morning. If it doesn't do it then, its most likely a reflective issue. If its still happening then you need to adjust your setup. Oh, and that is a cop out by the installer. As long as it fits the length and the height you should be able to wash it.

getnbusy

Reaction score
I am wondering if the arch rotate gearbox is worn or if the shear bolt is bent. If the box is worn terribly, and the next to last pass is hi pressure, it could very well be that the spray arch is obstructing the front t bar eye. Did the corvette have one of those police car style push bars on the front ?? a lift kit ? or something stupid like that ?? Is your machine showing any fault messages at all ??? Im probly way off base but it is something to look at anyways.

HCW

Reaction score
I'll describe the cycles on this incident step by step 1-low press presoak 2- second low press presoak 3-high press rinse 4-triple foam 5-high press wax 5-low press spot free. All passes cleared the front end within 3" or so except the spot free all three times we ran same vehicle, the arch was 6" or so deep in the front end. One thing I noticed is, when the wax pass finished, the arch docked to purge and I think it docked at the wrong location (6" too short)
The arch isn't obstructing the front eyes on Tbar, the triple foam didn't build up on Tbar eyes, the sun was facing the eyes BUT other vehicles washed before & after the corvette without any issues.
We still have couple small issues with this newly installed machine but the installer told us they can't be adjusted on this LW4000. One of them is the passenger side pass is much further away from vehicles than the driver side and the chemicals are missing 5" in the center of all vehicles, I thought adding the VT should measure both sides of vehicles?

getnbusy

Reaction score
Those items can be adjusted. It sounds like the ultrasonics need to be calibrated. However, the vt system is quite sophisticated. If the problem is deeper than that, I would suggest getting your pdq dealer out there. Bypass the learning curve and go straight to the source. Pay em what it takes to get it running right and save yourself some grey hairs. You will be glad you did in the end. Fwiw I fooled around with the wrong guy here in nc a couple years ago. I got the same ole kinds of responses. My fault, machines fault, never his incompetence. Bla bla bla whatever. I ended up paying the pdq distributor $3500 to do what my " installer" couldn't. Worth every penny

Scrub Free

Reaction score
Do you have a vt?
If not I have a reflector on floor I think measures the passengers side

MDrost1

Reaction score
FYI my drivers side tbar is 9 1/2" from floor. Passenger side 39 3/4". I do not have issues washing corvettes. Maybe a mid limit or Front limit issue. The front tbars eyes as mentioned before. Adjust amps and check to see if eyes are good. Sound like a broken record, sorry.

MDrost1

Reaction score
Oh yeah, if your lw is registered call pdq tech support. Have them walk you through a VT setup and calibration. They will do this. This might help the measure issue. The width measurements are to be adjusted in the VT controller. Not 80#.

Reaction score
I wash mine daily in my 4000 no issue
But it's reflecting off something sunlite certain daytime
Or hight I'll measure my tbars for ya