What's new

Looking to build a conveyor tunnel wash with a water reclaim.

Douglas54

Reaction score
Pros & Cons of water reclaim? So far I've only heard "expensive to install and maintain" but no specifics. Are they worth it? Do people really shy away from washing their cars if you have these? If they are so bad, why do people use them?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
If they are so bad, why do people use them?
Often, municipalities will only allow washes to be built, contingent on installing reclaim. Any time I was ever at a wash that had a reclaim system, the story was the same. It quit working and the owner never fixed it. I never stopped in a wash with a functioning reclaim. It appears that no one installs one by choice.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Yes, here in CA, recycle systems are required. They're a "necessary evil", as they say.

I'm probably going to go with a Sobrite system in my next wash that I'm building.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
Have you visited any washes using reclaim?

Have you found any info as to the well water quality and how much you can draw from it a day?

buda

Reaction score
Pros & Cons of water reclaim? So far I've only heard "expensive to install and maintain" but no specifics. Are they worth it? Do people really shy away from washing their cars if you have these? If they are so bad, why do people use them?
The first question is where do you live? Some states, some municipalaties require them so it is a mute question.
In other situations it is the cost of sewer connection. In Portland, Oregon I paid $11,000 fee for the sewer connection the same connection in California or Florida could run as high as $100,000 plus.
If you do not live in an area where they are required or costs prohibitive you can get by with a simple, wash water reclaim system which is very inexpensive.

Dcpagejr

Reaction score
Con-Serv

cyn85

Reaction score
Hello Douglas! I work over at Washify, we are a carwash POS system, if you want we can set a demo, so you can look into our system, I can have a rep call you and set a 15 min call? Please let me know! Thanks!

DPX22

Reaction score
I think this comes down to if your state/county requires a reclaim to be installed, followed by the water and sewer rate.

Our water rates are pretty high so I'm glad we have a reclaim system, but as you said, maintenance costs are high. Pumping out pits from the sludge, pump failures, and other smaller issues such as pipes and hoses leaking especially if your reclaim system is underground can add to monthly costs.

I feel the general opinion on reclaim systems being bad is the smell that the reclaim water emits and dirty work that comes with it. There are ways around the odor and maintenance as long as it is done on a periodic basis and not until there is a problem.

MC3033

Reaction score
I always think that it may be smart to do a reclaim for any new builds. You don’t know what the future holds. Is it possible to at least plumb everything and have the right tanks but not the equipment?

I’m also curious on ROI for tunnels. I’m always hearing 50%-80% water savings which is big money at an express tunnel. At the same time I can’t think of a single operator who recommends doing reclaim. How much do repairs and maintenance actually cost? 150k express site a year is at least $40k in water/sewer, could maintenance exceed that savings?

Dcpagejr

Reaction score
if you use your reclaim wisely, and maintain your units yourself the cost savings can be there.
I would at least include the infrastructure in a new build to prevent future costs when a municipality decides to require it in the future.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would at least include the infrastructure in a new build to prevent future costs when a municipality decides to require it in the future.
As a rule, if the municipality doesn't require something like a reclaim system when the car wash is built, it's unlikely they're going to come in behind and demand that it be added later.