What's new

In bay brush automatics

aca carwash 2

Reaction score
I know the market isn't what it once was. If I was to replace an old DS 5000 with a brush wash, what's the best one out there?

MEP001

Reaction score
"Best" is subjective. If there was an objective best one out there, there'd likely only be one by now.

I like the Belanger Freestyler, and I'd replace our Vector with one if funds were available. The guys I've talked to who have one say damage claims are almost zero.

BBE

Reaction score
We went with a tandem a few months ago. Love the wide open bay.

Forgot to add, distributor support should play a HUGE role in what type you choose.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
Forgot to add, distributor support should play a HUGE role in what type you choose.
That's a good point - if I were not able to repair things myself, I wouldn't and couldn't go with a Freestyler because there's not a reliable distributor around.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
We installed a D&S IQ a few months ago. It's a whole new concept from any other wash that I am aware of. We couldn't be happier with the wash. Again, the distributor is very important!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Broadway makes one of the most reliable and economical friction roll-overs (five-brush) on the market. However, to my best knowledge, the company still sells exclusively to new car dealerships.

Autec has a similar five-brush design that has been massaged and upgraded so it is highly marketable for retail use.

In terms of reliability, I would rate Autec roll-over on same level as old PDQ Laser 4000, one of the industry’s most notable workhorses.

With a “short-bay” design, the Autec allows you to offer profit centers like a tunnel does with the exception of automatic tire shine.

I also have clients with Istobal three-brush design who are very pleased with wash quality, reliability and profitability.

Another thing to consider is the staying power of some of the remaining in-bay OEM’s, especially those that specialize in cheap clones.

For example, the bulk of in-bay equipment spending today is convenience store and petroleum market, not self-serve.

Merchandisers that have become more serious about carwash are going more friction/less touch-less and buying quality because their customers are no longer willing to accept the typical half-ass wash at the gas station.

Self-serve operators may not like to hear it but the demand drivers for wands continue to decline in most markets as automatic washing increases and there are few signs of wand resurgence.

So, your investment in a quality friction machine capable of decent hourly throughput and exceptional average sales per wash could provide you with a significant competitive advantage.

Hope this helps.

aca carwash 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, does region come into play when making a decision? I'm in a prime location on the east coast in Md, next to a Mcdonalds, high traffic count , not much annual snowfall. I have 2, 12 year old D&s 5000 and people still use them but sales have declined pretty significantly due to both wash quality and economy. I believe the area is prime for a full service wash. Do you think I would generate new customers with a good brush wash. Traffic count is 30k plus and I'm right next to a busy McDonald's

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It's hard to say what would be best. If you anticipate a higher volume and some busy peak time washes you might want to look at a short tunnel if you have the room. Is it a 24 hour McDonalds? There is an EE next to a McDonalds near me. I don't think they are doing the business they expected but I think part of that is the location and entrance issues.

aca carwash 2

Reaction score
Customers that want a clean car go to full service. Do customers go to brush washes vs touch less for a cleaner car? Can a situation be created where a token is dispensed for a free vac with a top wash without having an attendant?

MEP001

Reaction score
Customers that want a clean car go to full service. Do customers go to brush washes vs touch less for a cleaner car?
I've noticed that many members of this forum who have a touchless and a friction auto side by side say that their customers prefer the friction wash.

Can a situation be created where a token is dispensed for a free vac with a top wash without having an attendant?
There are add-on units to do that. I've been considering adding a small hopper inside the Goldline cabinet to attempt the same thing.

http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/coin_hoppers&R=All&S=TS&FILTER_NAME=COIN_CURRENCY&FILTER_VALUE=Cube%20Hopper

soapy

Reaction score
I am surprised no one has mentioned Ryko for a friction machine. They sell more friction rollovers than anyone. They are a very reliable machine. I have added the token dispenser to all of my automatics and have been happy with the results. One thing I wish my token tellers had was a button that people have to push to get the token. I still see many people drove off without knowing that they get a free vac token.

Doug P.

Reaction score
I have a friction machine next to a touchless, I feel this is a great combination but I don't compete with conveyer washes. Volume is almost identical on each machine after 10 years. My machine is a Wesumat and repair parts are very expensive. I would consider another Wesumat when I buy my next friction machine but I would consider other brands as well. I have 9 other touchless machines and the Wesumat cleans much better than any of my touchless autos. Damage claims have been negligible.

Doug P.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
aca - as you can see, there are a lot of opinions as to which one is the best. To me, manufacturer and distributer are two of my top things I look for.

I am in the middle of replacing one of my 20yr old touchless autos with a PDQ ProTouch ICON. Take a look at their site and see if there is a distributor close by. You can also PM me your contact info and I can tell you how the install goes. Equipment is scheduled to arrive next week.

JustClean

Reaction score
I am in the middle of replacing one of my 20yr old touchless autos with a PDQ ProTouch ICON.
Hi Jeff,
is there a reason for choosing the Icon instead of the Tandem?
I've got a gantry machine and think instead of copying this design of other manufacturers they should have spent the tandem another side brush to make it perfect. No stuff on the floor, wide open bay, pump stand in the plant room, and so on. I understand that in many locations you just don't have the space. But this would be the only reason why I would go with this design. What is yours?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
...is there a reason for choosing the Icon instead of the Tandem?
My distributor says the Tandem is good but slower than the ICON. It has more moving parts, requires a little more bay length and costs more. Also, I know it doesn't help with cleaning cars, but I like the show of all the lights on the ICON with the ProGlow package.

BBE

Reaction score
My distributor says the Tandem is good but slower than the ICON. It has more moving parts, requires a little more bay length and costs more. Also, I know it doesn't help with cleaning cars, but I like the show of all the lights on the ICON with the ProGlow package.
The Tandem supports the proglow package now too. It is a bit slower than the icon probably is.

Most likely you would have to look at your market and competition in the area. In our case, we already have two mark vii gantry systems in the area. And we also already had a washworld high velocity that we put our tandem in next to. We wanted to set ourselves apart from the very unattractive and intimidating gantry look. And also, having a nice wide open automatic bay right next to it with the washworld, I think it would be a very tough task to ask customers to choose to pull into a gantry system for us.

termn8tr

Reaction score
Autec hands down. We have 3 AES-425 units and these machine are top quality, consistent and extremely reliable. Our oldest unit (2006) has nearly 160,000 washes on it and it like a Rolex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking!!
Autec has Fantastic Customer Service Second to None!

mac

Reaction score
Sort of like asking which single malt scotch is best. Opinions all over the place. One thing I've noticed being down here in FL, is that any machine with hydraulics will have the hose end fittings rust and blow out from 2 to 4 years. Bob Roman you mentioned the Broadway, which is found in car dealerships all over the place. I just would not put one of those in a for profit wash simply because it has no pizzaz. It's like Hooters, do you really go there for the food? Just my .02 worth.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Agreed Mac, it’ like comparing a circa 1960’s Chevy Biscayne station wagon or Impala, 4-door sedan with a 2012 Sonata.

That’s why I like EV-I or M-Nex 22 - great quality, profit centers and with proper merchandising strategy and calibration for express format can produce a legitimate 20 CPH with short-bay design.

So, two of these units would make a mini-tunnel conversion not such a slam dunk as is often portrayed.

“I am surprised no one has mentioned Ryko for a friction machine.”

Ryko makes a good in-bay but historically the company has targeted primarily convenience store and petroleum sites.

For example, Ryko has more short tunnels at gas sites than anybody. However, as Mac would say, the tunnels were OK but not marketable enough for private investor retail sites.

Ryko has also gone through major management shuffles along the way.

In final analysis, I also believe a lot of operators cringe at the prospect of loading a bay with something that most people see at gas stations.