What's new

In bay brush automatics

Jeff_L

Reaction score
...We wanted to set ourselves apart from the very unattractive and intimidating gantry look. And also, having a nice wide open automatic bay right next to it with the washworld, I think it would be a very tough task to ask customers to choose to pull into a gantry system for us.
I understand that thought process. Unfortunately I also didn't have the bay length to support the Tandem and still get the backs of the longer vehicles.

steve569

Reaction score
That’s why I like EV-I or M-Nex 22 - great quality, profit centers and with proper merchandising strategy and calibration for express format can produce a legitimate 20 CPH with short-bay design.

Robert, What brand are the EV-I or M-NEX 22 ?

mac

Reaction score
The M22 is made by Istobal, who bought the old Magic Wand. Don't know about the EV.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Customers that want a clean car go to full service.”

This isn’t true. When I go to an in-bay automatic, I expect a clean car.

“Do customers go to brush washes vs touch less for a cleaner car?”

I would say mostly, yes.

“Can a situation be created where a token is dispensed for a free vac with a top wash without having an attendant?”

Yes.

“We wanted to set ourselves apart from the very unattractive and intimidating gantry look.”

Gantry design does not have to be unattractive or intimidating.

“I think it would be a very tough task to ask customers to choose to pull into a gantry system for us.”

One of my clients converted from self-serve to express format. This required shutting down several wands and in-bay touch-less.

Result was overall increase in net site sales.

Cause was generation of many new customers and zero loss of old customers.

Cause was a great many touch-less customers changed to friction washing.

I have clients from one side of country to other with long touch-less tunnels, 125’ to 140’.

They wash high volume, high quality. They have to because cost of chemical and water/sewer is “huge.”

Cost of chemical is rising plus new products like hot wax have COGS of $0.75 to $1.25 per application.

So, you have to have an amazing wash and quality to get customers willing to pay higher price. You also have to promote gantry. This means giving it away, kissing babies and shaking hands for 60 to 90 days to educate customers. Etc.

“Robert, What brand are the EV-I (Autec) or M-NEX 22 (Istobal)?”

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I would go to the ica show or a regional show when they have exhibits and you can see what the going trends are and look for yourself.... I know secwa has a tour where they visit all self serve car washes (maybe everyone does it?). Everyone has different options like mep1 said. Unless you are purchasing used?

carwash00

Reaction score
Maybe a Mark VII SoftWash/ChoiceWash XT? the wash quality is GREAT and they attract customers! The SoftGloss MAXX From ryko is really good cleaning and reliability wise! but maybe a mini-tunnel (Say Tommy or Sonny's) would be best if you are into unsurpassable wash quality and reliability, but they are very pricey.