What's new

In-Bay and Vac Station Lights

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The LEDS I bought are a full fixture. The 100 watt fixture should replace a 400 watt Metal halide and give similar light. According to the company, payback time is only 6 months with energy savings. A 65 watt should equal a 250 watt MH. One picture is a 65 watt LED next to a 65 watt cfl light during the day. Other picture is of 100 watt LED.
The highest wattage I found on the site were 80W. HAve you got a secret access code?

soapy

Reaction score
When I ordered they told they wereout of the 80 watt but were going to substitute 100 watt for the same price. Give them a call and see what they have in stock now.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Opinions are varying....Did you see the pictures I posted on post #8? There was no trick photography there. Same camera settings. I went from 175w MH's to 85w CFLs. That's more than 50% savings in electricity with the same fixtures. Bulbs are $15.00. I've only had 2 burn out in 2.5 yrs...

Are CFL's that much higher in Australia? Plus aren't you guys on different electric than we are? 220v single wire? Maybe some of the differences that is causing problems for you?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. I thought a Spambot was an automated computer program. Those replies looked like he knew the post content.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Mep is probably right. His country and the IP location don't match, but I don't know that he is just not home right now either. I'll let him chime in and defend himself or let Jackson make the call.

I sent him a PM. If I don't get a reply we'll probably have our answer.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In looking at T8's I noted that there is a "Ballast Factor" which affects lumens. Seems a lot of Ballasts are rated at .85 which menas you get .5% out of what you put in . Some are hhigh output at 1.15 or so. I thhink the lumen output is higher proportioneately as is electricity used.
For those chaning to T8s what ballast factor are you using.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about buying a LED flood light from these guy’s http://www.polepalsolarlightingsystem.com/catalog/cat-100004/ledfloodlights#.UnP11V_n85u But haven’t gotten around to pulling the trigger yet. This is the place that Soapy got his floods.
Thinking of calling to see about the 100w Fixtures. If they are about $100 each I will try 2 to see how they work.

Bought some 150W fixtures from TSS and tried 2 for 6 months to replace old 400W MH and they work great but they cost $500.00 each.

MEP001

Reaction score
In looking at T8's I noted that there is a "Ballast Factor" which affects lumens. Seems a lot of Ballasts are rated at .85 which menas you get .5% out of what you put in . Some are hhigh output at 1.15 or so. I thhink the lumen output is higher proportioneately as is electricity used.
For those chaning to T8s what ballast factor are you using.
It looks like the ballast factor rating also affects energy use. It would be useful if you wanted to fine-tune the light output. Don't confuse it with the old power factor rating - some of the cheaper HID lights used twice the energy that it took to run the bulb.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Update...Over 3.5 years later and 70% of the original bulbs are still burning 15-16 hours a day! Still enjoying the savings....

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
2Biz Your thread came to me in an email and because I haven't been on here for almost 2 years when we discussed lighting and you all helped to educate me with the lighting improvements that have been made. Thanks to all who chimed in!

One of my last threads stated the problem I had was I needed the small base in the other fixtures we wanted to relight and they were all "Mogul" bases. I bought the small base (E-26 not sure of the Number) but made the change on the test bench and the lamp fit fine because the base was smaller and the lamp fit fine without making any adjustments.

Since that time I have hired another employee to help daughter Julie as she is spending more time in the office. I did however give them the project of finishing the lighting at the rest of the locations. One of the time consumers was the small piece of metal that holds the lamp base and has 2 screws to hold it to the fixture had to be enlarged so the back end would extend thru it. The best way to do this for them was to bring them to the shop and enlarge the hole with the iron-worker. It had to be 3/4"or 7/8" (I don't remember) and that actually took most of the time. Julie dismantled the fixtures, ran the parts to the shop and returned them and Johnathon (new employee) assembled them.

So now all the bays are lit with the 85CFL's and they are doing fine.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Same here. I'm sure glad I thought of it ;)
I'm glad you thought of it too! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kevin,

If I remember right, switching out to the 85w bulbs saved me about $100 a month. Initial cost was about $200 including bulbs....Not a bad return for a few hours of work!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I started this thread back in 2011 and took some photos of the first bulbs/fixtures that were installed. Just had a bulb fail tonight....Doing the math....It lasted 6 years or 30,660 hours at 14 hours a day average. The box says life expectancy is 9,850 hours. I'll take it!

Randy

Reaction score
I started this thread back in 2011 and took some photos of the first bulbs/fixtures that were installed. Just had a bulb fail tonight....Doing the math....It lasted 6 years or 30,660 hours at 14 hours a day average. The box says life expectancy is 9,850 hours. I'll take it!

I've got only one florescent bulb left and I'm waiting for it to die so I can replace with a LED bulb. Looks like I'll be old and gray by the time it burns out, I think it's only 5 years old.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Congrats!

That's a lot of years of service. You must have great, smooth electrical service. I could never get that kind of life. No regrets since converting to LED though. At $100 a fixture they do everything necessary.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have all new 3 bulb vapor tight LED fixtures to install. Right now I lack the motivation to tackle a project this size! As long as the CFL's are doing as good as they are, there's not much pressure to get it done!