What's new

Ics Or Drb Cashiers

New Investor

Reaction score
Also just for the record, it took me two year's to pick who i would go with for three pay terminal's between ICS and DRB. I finally made a choice, and i believe it was the right choice for me. I believe they are both great companie's and you have to do a ton of homework to see which fit's what you want to do. Most people who do there homework realize that there are +/- of each unit. I don't believe it's important who i chose, but just do what work's best for you and your application and i'm sure you will be fine.

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
Earl, we have 3 autocashiers for our exterior express, and our volume is over 120 cars per hour. In fact 2 autocashiers will do over 120 cars per hour. we have a third for that busy saturday when there is a problem. We only have $1 bills for change, and we typically have to have $1500 + for a busy weekend. It is amazing that the majority of people will put in the correct amount, the $20 is the exception, so we are able to "reuse" the bills accepted each day!
Bud, I do not think taking the money out each night before closing is a good idea. Someone is going to figure out what you are doing and take advantage of your regularity, it could be dangerous and costly. We remove and replenish our autocashiers randomly daily till 5pm. At night we have designed doors for both the ICS and the DRB autocashiers to protect the machines from crack heads. The doors also make our opening and closing procedures simple.

Last edited:

JK Xpress

Reaction score
New Investor - FYI, when I made my purchase (Auto Sentry eXP) the competing DRB unit did not dispense bills so it made my decision that much easier.

I did plenty of research in this area - but it didn't take anywhere near 2 years.

LOL right back at you.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
The DRB XPT has the option to dispense dollar bills. I believe it was a $4,000 + option which I didn't feel that I needed. I looked at both machines, priced out both and compared their options as to what I though I needed. The DRB actually cost more in my case. I took the opprotunity to add SITE WATCH at that time.

Bud, I also do not remove the change at night for the reasons Jimmy states. The coin hopper will hold 1000 coins but I only batch them in 500 and replace them only when I get to under 100 in the hopper. The machine is secure with an alarm (it's very sensitive) MEDCO LOCKS, the hex bolt and the security camera. Jimmy has realy cool boxes that he lock at night that also dub as his menu board when they are open...... it's a fantastic design!

At the SECWA show Unitec has it's own portal version that has limited software. It functions as a stand alone unit and does not require SITE WATCH to queue the cars. That would eliminate $35,000 in computers and software on top of $16,000 per unit for the XPT.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have no doubt that autocashiers have their place. Just as I have seen "Pay at the Pump" generate some acceptance especialy with those who do not wish to leave hte car to pay because it has packages or children in it.

I also had customers from the BP that remodeled and put in an auto cashier a half mile from me come and say I cannot work that thing, so I am coming here now.

Originaly all my family washes were with Gas stations. So, just as with reconciling $ for Gas sales, reconciling $ for wash sales is no different with the current tunnel controllers. Since most auto cashier operations seem to run with a human loader as well, I see no labor savings for our operations vis a vis 2 auto tellers and our loader/ cashier. Since we run 2 shifts and a crew of 3 we have the ability to have a second person for those crazy days so the cashier is not the production limiting factor.

I know of one guy, who put in the auto tellers and said if he does another place he would likely not use them after seeing our operation. Another guy considering them was also taken to questioning the decison.

Although I have heard of totaly unattended operations in Michigan that do high volume . The customers must all be mensa members. Can't tell you how many times a day my guy is yelling "NEUTRAL" as the car starts to take off down the conveyor.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Earl, one thing to remember is that when "pump your own gas" started there was probably a lot of opposition on that too. In fact Oregon and maybe another state's people either can't figure it out or the government thinks that their population is to stupid to pump their own. Rosi never did figure it out.

buda

Reaction score
Auto Sentrys And Self Service Gas

Today almost three years later we find the acceptance to the Auto Sentry's is perfect. In fact, you go out and try to help the customer and they let you know in no uncertain terms that they can handle it.

And we are selling 40%-45% of our customers a $7 or $10 with no service advisor.

At the beginning we had someone out side all the time helping them thru the process.

OREGON and NEW JERSEY are the only two states that do not have self service gas.

In Oregon it is the Independent Gasoline Dealers Association that has lobbied for years to keep the majors out of Oregon. No majors operate gas stations in Oregon it is all independent dealers.

The issue of self service gas, like the Sales Tax which we do not have either, comes up about every 7 to 8 years on the ballot and the population vote both of them down. Nothing to do with the government, and Oregonians are smart enough to pump their own as they are in using Auto Sentrys.

Bud Abraham

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
It seems like just yesterday but it has been 5 year since we started pay at the pump in our facility. We were one of the last around. Anyway the attraction was clear. Time savings for some and people who did not want to leave their car unattended. For us it took some of the load off the cashier for people who really did not want to come into the store anyway. None of these benefits apply to the Cashier and loader person versus the auto cashier and loader setup. The one benefit seems to be an overall acknowledgement that the machines do better upselling then live people. Another downside might be that we offer specials with our top package like free air freshener, windshield washer solvent, lotto tickets, cold drinks. I guess you could do this with the Auto cashier / loader where the customer would present the reciept to the loader for the giveaway.

QuickSpa17

Reaction score
Just a reminder since I didn't really see any mention about it....

Yes, the higher volume you have the more bills you will need to support it. But just remember that a large portion of your customers may use credit cards to process their transaction. Just something to think about...