What's new

Ics Or Drb Cashiers

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Since both are supporters of the Forum, you'll have to use something else to help you.

JK Xpress

Reaction score
Planning a car wash is a long process - I would think you would have already decided on this.

bonanza1

Reaction score
i thought i had made my decision but have had some negative feed back about the one i chosen,but i guess i can not mention a name because they pay for advertiseing on this site.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Jimmy,

why are you considering a switch? I like my DRB XPT and site watch, but I never owned ICS PORTAL. What I liked about the DRB over the ICS was at that time the XPT had a bar code scanner and the ICS did not. Comming up on 2 years of operation for this XPT and I've had very little issuse.

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
Doug, we are using ICS. but because of the security doors for autocashiers we produce, we have worked with the Unitec/DRB unit. Our next 2 washes are planned for using the ICS.

JK Xpress

Reaction score
My place has 2 Auto Sentry's from ICS.

The choice for me was easy. The ICS display is way larger than DRB and you actually touch the screen instead of buttons on the side.

This makes it easier for the consumer.

Plus if Bank of America and Chase are using this type of technology (large touch-screens) for their ATMS, it is good enough for me.

B of A and Chase have deep pockets and you know they have sent many $'s on market research.

buda

Reaction score
Auto Sentry's

Hands down, the ICS Auto Sentry's are the way to go. The company has a car wash background and I believe the owner, Kevin Dietrich owns a carwash. He knows what an operator needs.

There customer service support is second to none and they "always" solved my problems immediately.

I would not hesitate for a second to recommend them, in fact a consulting client of mine is buying ICS units after studying the others.

You will not go wrong with ICS.

Regards
Bud Abraham
CUZZINS CAR WASH

wash free or die

Reaction score
Please don't make your decision based on what you read on this forum alone. Talk to seasoned operators who have experience with both systems. If you can, visit some washes, check them out for yourself and solicit some honest feedback from the owners.

Having used both companies, my strong recomendation is DRB. I also talk to a lot of operators and no one I've ever spoken to has been pleased with ICS. That doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be, but...

I don't work for DRB, have no grudge against ICS nor any personal stake in your decision. This is just my objective opinion and experience.

Good luck.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
How do these Auto cashiers work as far as supplying dollars for change?

Do they recirculate bills put in or do you stock a Hopper with ones , Fives etc?

Seems like even if it held a 500 ones, if you sell 500 car washes at $3.00 or $6.00 you can run out of change easily. Lets saay 250 people paid with 5's or 10's and needed $2-4 or average $3.00 in change. That means it would need to hold 750 singles which seems like a lot.

Do people run out of change on heavy days?

buda

Reaction score
The ICS bill cassette in our system can hold huge numbers of $5.00 bills to give change for $10's & $20's.

We also put at least $400 in dollar coins the coin hopper.

Our packages are $5.00, $7.00 and $10.00 so you see with a $10 and a $7 wash purchased they get 3 $1.00 coins. If they pay with a $20 they get 2 - $5's and 3 - $1.00 coins.

Works absolutely wonderful for us. Would use them a second time without question.

Regars
Bud Abraham

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My thought is that if they pay for 140 7 dollar washes with 10's or 20's you run out of change. Is that correct?

buda

Reaction score
Auto Sentry's

Earl

We have washed as many as 650 cars on one day and not had to replace the $5's or the $1 coins.

It is based on what you put in the machine in the morning when you open.

In our case, we empty the machines every night and reload every morning, to insure we do not have any breakins.

Bud Abraham

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
My DRB XPT only dispenses dollar coins. durring the busy season I replace $500 every 3-4 days. I have multiple levels and endless cominations of pricing as both EE and flex service are handled by 1 XPT. In the winter I keep a back up of 500 coins. Only once did I run out and I was lucky enough to have a bank open on saturday that I was able to get $125 worth of golden dollars.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I thionk my question would be geared toward High volume wash with maybe 2 aouto cashiers and 1000 car + days .

As I said with an average wash that needs change maybe needing $2.00 and 2 casheirs youi could handle 400 of these. It would also depend on % of CC usage. Anyone out there doing the higher volumes car to chime in?

Keeping spare change on hand is nothing new. It is not unusual for me to have $500.00 in quarters in my car. "Just in case."

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Earl,

I didn't see that you asked for a cut off limit in car counts? either way my one XPT handles over 250 cars per day in one lane. Most high volume sites have 2-3 lanes (Jimmy J's Car Bucks has 3) and do 600-900 CPD or 200-300 cars per machine. In transaction time they probably peek out (depending how simple you program them and cash vs CC sales) at 70 -80 CPH per machine.

My highest day was about 250 coins dispensed. It doesn't matter if it's a high volume site, only how many cars one machine can handle and the pricing points that generate a combination of change.

I have one big advantage in my layout. I have a casheir room 40 feet from the XPT so I can break larger bills and not dispense all of my coin. The biggest frustration comes from customers who insist on paying with a $20 for a $5 wash. Usually they turn in 50-70 coins a day for paper money. The main goals in adding the XPT were:

• Less cash handling by employees
    Faster transaction time
    More accurate queuing
    Less thieft of service
    Decrease in payroll

Auto cashiers are applicable in any size and any type wash... not just high volume.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I didn't ask for a cutoff on car counts because with a question about running out of coins at 200 cars per machine, it is implied that the car count would be at least that much per machine. Now, a local guy with 2 autos tells me he has hit 140 CPH in peak hours . I think his pricing is $3, 5, 7. So, at 2/3 washes he may need $2-3 change. Don't know what CC % is . In theory each macine could easily go thru $100 coins per hour and be out of change in 4 hours on a busy day. (If his hold $400.00 as well) . I will ask him about it but was wondering about others experiences and the need to keep extra change on hand.

JK Xpress

Reaction score
Earl,

The Auto Sentry dispenser can hold up to 2,000 bills ($1's or $5's) and can well over 1,000 $1 coins. Running out of change has never been an issue.

If you are considering ICS or DRB, I have listed in a prior post why I went w/ ICS. Plus Ben's Car Wash also details another advantage of ICS over DRB - he states that the DRB unit only dispenses coin - well if I am your customer and stop in for a $3 wash and receive $17 back in coin - sorry I am never coming back.

Calling for rain tomorrow so if you want give me a call - I'll answer anything ask.

JK

New Investor

Reaction score
Just for the record JK Xpress the XPT by DRB dispenses bill's. So i guess now you will be coming back lol.