What's new

Husky vs Harbor Freight small compressor comparison

Burky

Reaction score
What CFM should I look for with a 4 SS 1 IBA setup?

Burky

Reaction score
I see the single phase 2 stage 175 psi Quincy QT-54 is only 80 decibels. It says 24 amp but suggests or actually requires a 50 amp breaker? The 3 phase??? version would tend to make for no initial amp surge so the 3 phase breaker probably could be 20 amp ... just thinking out loud.

How many CFM for a 4/1 setup?

MEP001

Reaction score
What CFM should I look for with a 4 SS 1 IBA setup?
Your auto should have a CFM requirement. Your SS could need 3 to 6 CFM depending on the type of pumps.

Burky

Reaction score
Your auto should have a CFM requirement. Your SS could need 3 to 6 CFM depending on the type of pumps.
Excellent. Thanks! I have the specs for the Auto, but didn’t know what I need for each SS bay. I have flojet pumps.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Burky, can't tell you CFM requirements but you don't need anything special for a 4/1. ThatQT54 will serve you well, but any 5HP 80 gallon compressor will get the job done. The QTs are in stock at Northern tool if you need a local one.

Burky

Reaction score
Perfect. I have a QT54 on order. Hopefully comes next week. Thanks guys for the help.

MEP001

Reaction score
Another update: all the compressors have crapped out. I was too busy to keep close track on how long they lasted, but they all had motor failure. Two of them the motor just burned up, one (The Kobalt, the most expensive one) the motor ripped itself off its base. None of them lasted much more than a year.

In the meantime, I've found a new champion. This cheap, noisy-ass piece of crap has been running for two years and hasn't skipped a beat, even when it was so full of water it was literally only running for two seconds each time it came on. It runs more than half the time when the wash is busy, and it's really busy. I wouldn't recommend it for a primary compressor, but I bought one for home and one for backup at the wash if the main one fails.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Quincy, Curtis , Speedline, & Champion are great. Maybe in that order. ...

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm certainly not advocating a cheap compressor as a main. Mine is a 20 year old Husky 2-stage 80 gallon 7.5 HP, rated continuous duty, and it's been a workhorse other than several motor replacements.

soonermajic

Reaction score
You can find some dang good, very old, compressors on CL all the time.
I have bought 2 Curtis 7.5 3ph 80 gal off CL for $1000 each! 80s models, & both are built like a Sherman tank!

Rodebaugh1

Reaction score
I inherited a Porter Cable 60 gal and a Kobalt 60 gal when I bought my car wash. About a month ago, I had the Porter Cable compressor go out and a week later the Kobalt motor went out. I started scrambling for an Ingersoll Rand 60 gal at the local Tractor Supply. The sold the last one the day before. Checked with 5 other Tractor Supply stores over the next 2 days. Everyone of them sold all of their 60 gal IR's within the 3 days and had no idea when there would be another one in stock. Very strange. I wound up buying a 60 gal Dewalt. So, I'll see how they hold up.

Randy

Reaction score
I don't know how many air compressors I've fixed over the years, motors, air pumps, tank check valves, we keep at least 4 pressure switches on hand. If the tank is sound most of the time they are worth fixing. The best air compressor you can buy is a Saylor Beall https://www.saylor-beall.com/ they are built like a tank and they are expensive. Most of the big box stores air compressors are pretty much junk. The slower a air copressor runs the longer they will last.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
I don't use a whole lot of air. I replaced a compressor due to a leaking tank in 1998. I do not remember what the brand of the failed unit was. I replaced it with a husky 5hp (so they say) 60 gallon compressor. I think it was just over $500. Early November of 2021, it started to trip the breaker. I bought a new Ingersoll Rand, believe it or not home depot.com had the best price by several hundred dollars, and free delivery.
Point is, the husky lasted 20 years. After I replaced the husky, I decided to find out what was the problem. I found it had play in the compressor crank bearings, and the motor was fine. bought a new compressor pump from harbor freight for $169, and it works just fine. So now I have a spare.