What's new

How to manage employees

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i try, myself, to do everything i ask of my employees, from cleaning the bathroom to detailing cars, washing down bays and working on equipment. i demand alot but remain flexible. if an employee has a good idea, i implement a change based on their idea. i try to keep a fun and easy going work environment while producing quality work.

it is tricky. once an employee displays a lack of respect for me, the job, or other employees, it is the beginning of the end for them at the company. i'm a good boss but not great. it's something i always work at because i know i need improvement.

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Perfect. I am going to contact you privately and use this for my next article!

gee gee

Reaction score
If you make your employees a priority they will make your customer a priority. People do what you inspect not what you expect. Everything is a process and can be put clearly in writing for existing and new employees to follow. Track you outcomes and share the good and the needs improvement areas with each associate. Build a team approach with consistent objectives and monitor and celebrate the achievements. Just saying.

Robert2181

Reaction score
i try, myself, to do everything i ask of my employees, from cleaning the bathroom to detailing cars, washing down bays and working on equipment. i demand alot but remain flexible. if an employee has a good idea, i implement a change based on their idea. i try to keep a fun and easy going work environment while producing quality work.

it is tricky. once an employee displays a lack of respect for me, the job, or other employees, it is the beginning of the end for them at the company. i'm a good boss but not great. it's something i always work at because i know i need improvement.
I try to operate the same.

jasonHTCW

Reaction score
At my express wash and emissions center, we ask managers to carry out all the same tasks as the other employees. So yes, the bathroom cleaning to vacuum cleanout to prepping cars to cleaning out the pit, managers do it all Employees do not need to see a manager just sitting behind the desk. My managers also repair and maintain the facility. Train the other employees the repair procedures.

Montgomery

Reaction score
At my express wash and emissions center, we ask managers to carry out all the same tasks as the other employees. So yes, the bathroom cleaning to vacuum cleanout to prepping cars to cleaning out the pit, managers do it all Employees do not need to see a manager just sitting behind the desk. My managers also repair and maintain the facility. Train the other employees the repair procedures.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Another possible question relating to this thread is ... how many of us hire "day labor" &/or "non actual set up on payroll" but legally eligible help temporarily to help get caught up when we get behind on what needs to be done?

eckert16

Reaction score
For a little side help to patient owners when your current employees are 'green' or need some sort of 'guidance' or 'exemplar employee'...something to consider. There are extremely talented, ready, skilled, knowledgeable, able bodied 'retired' folks out there that willingly volunteer to help out those owners in need of temporary assistance....usually at the cost of asking kindly and having a lunch brought to the site. Not saying it's for every location, but it can help.