What's new

How To Make a Temporary High Pressure Hose Patch in Ten Minutes for $2

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
OK guys, you know Murphy's Law affects carwashers too. At my wash high pressure hose breaks happen most often on the weekend. In an act of desperation to keep a unit running I discovered this technique a few months back. It actually works so well I thought I would share this with you guys. You may laugh when you read this, but don't knock it until you've tried it. I have patched hose this way and the result is 90-100% reduction in leakage and the patch will last for months. I'm not advocating these as long term repairs, but it certainly will last long enough that you can order the proper replacement hose from a mail order house. It works best on straight runs but will work somewhat on gentle bends- enough to keep running.

OK, so we have a leak here on my undercarriage hose:

Dig through your garbage can and find a uncrumpled, smooth aluminum can and remove the top with a razor knife. "unwind" the can into about 3/4" thick strip:

What you will end up with about a 4' long strip of malleable thin aluminum:

Wrap aluminum can snugly around break a couple of times, then begin to work outward on both sides of the break, overlapping tightly so the aluminum is about 2" wide:

Secure with three quality hose clamps tighten the center one over the break, then put a clamp on each side, as close as possible to one another. It is preferable to have their sides touching. Re- tighten each clamp a couple of times.

And that's it. Like I said, it looks bad but works much better than I imagined. I have been able to completely stop leaks in 1" hose with this. It's works so well, an empty aluminum can is now part of my toolkit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
A full can of an adult beverage would be better for the tool kit.
Actually a good idea on weekends when no hoses are available.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could also stock a full can and empty it prior to the repair.:)

Seriously, though; good tip. Thanks!!!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Won't work for me. I don't drink and have my own hose crimper, but have tried repairs in a similar manner by clamping another hose over the break. Just for the record, my method doesn't work. Is your repairman a member of Blue Man Group? I know you and know that you are no "girlie man" and would have no problems getting in there and getting your hands dirty.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Is your repairman a member of Blue Man Group? I know you and know that you are no "girlie man" and would have no problems getting in there and getting your hands dirty.
A hose crimper is a pro tool for you big multi site operators out there in the sticks. Us humble operators in the metro areas just have to make do. But yes, it does work rather well, when in a pinch.

As far as the gloves- Well you know us big city metrosexuals. The well-kept women at my place like a man with soft girlie hands, and I aim to please. Even the mechanics at the shop next door wear them all the time. I got into the habit of wearing them and must say my hands stay in much better shape. They were always cracked at the fingertips from the constant chemicals and cleaners.

I ran out of my black mamba gloves, which make me look menacing, so I'm using up my blue medical gloves.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Instead of pealing a tin can, how about self-fusing silicone tape (such as "Rescue Tape) ... plus the 3 hose clamps? I did that on gash in a LP hose (underground sprinkler run). It worked great.

Yes, in my case it was only about 65 PSI, but such tapes are rated to (supposedly) withstand 700-900 PSI. Reinforcing a half dozen or so tight loops of that tape with clamps sounds like that might be a pretty good 'n real EZ temp fix for even an HP hose.

JJJ/SSCWN

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Is there a reason that you coiled the metal around the hose? It seems that a rectangular piece about the size of a playing card layed longways, bent around the hose, and clamped in the same manner may be easier and possibly work better :confused:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It seemed to me overlapping worked best. It builds up mutiple layers that seems to withstand the high pressure OK.

JJ I've tried some silicone tape, but everything I work on is usually wet and/or grimy. I have had limited success with it.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can get a hand-swager for around $200. When you repair a break you usually end up replacing the length between the break and the closest end, but the repair is quick and permanent.

soapy

Reaction score
I bought some fittings that make a permanent repair in seconds on high pressure hose. Just cut the hose were it is leaking and slide a tapered metal coupler inside the hose. It comes with 2 parts that slide over the hose first and then tighten around the hose and coupler with a wrench. I keep a few of these on hand.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
I bought some fittings that make a permanent repair in seconds on high pressure hose. Just cut the hose were it is leaking and slide a tapered metal coupler inside the hose. It comes with 2 parts that slide over the hose first and then tighten around the hose and coupler with a wrench. I keep a few of these on hand.
Soapy are you talking about reusable ends? Sounds like something different, if so, can you give any more info on the fittings and maybe some pictures? Thanks

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Hmmm ... 2011 ... Greg's approach seems to have withstood the test of time. Robert ... do you have a link to the Menard's 3/8" hose repair?

The problem with Soapy's reusable approach is that in some troughs & in equipment rooms it seems it can be a bit tricky at times to use a cutting wheel on a grinder with all the sparks flying etc.

Thanks for tip Greg ... How many times have you been successful doing the leak repair that way & what was the longest it lasted before you could do something more permanent???

If it is in the bay ... we just put a new boom hose on within a few minutes with a ladder & crescent wrenches & teflon tape stored handily a few feet away.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
How many times have you been successful doing the leak repair that way & what was the longest it lasted before you could do something more permanent???
I don't use it often but it has gotten me out of a pinch many times. As long as the hose isn't bending in a radius and you can get a good wrap around the injury it works. It will not always stop leaking 100% but slow it enough to keep the pressure up until the proper hose can be installed. I normally use it on large diameter hose (1/2"-1") on IBAs and will work in that application just fine for weeks or months. I had a friend that patched on that way and he said he completely forgot about it until many Months later when he was working on something and saw it again.

Etowah