What's new

How do I open these?

slash007

Reaction score
I finally took my RO filter housings and need to check the o-rings and probably change the filters, but can't figure out how to get them open. I remember that when I first changed the out a few years ago it was difficult, but am not sure how I got them open. Does the black part just pop out of the stainless housing? If so, any tips on how to get it to move? Thanks. 20220317_161031.jpg

I have the u-pin style at my other wash and they are so easy to work on. Thinking about just buying two new housings if I can't find an easy way to open these. https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-33397-ami-components-pv4040ssau-316-housing-u-pin-style-4-x-40.aspx

Last edited:

traveler17

Reaction score
Is the black part rubber? looks like you should be able to pry it up

MEP001

Reaction score
Is there a clamp on it that you've already removed? I'd probably try to pound the plastic cap out of the housing with a rubber mallet, or use a pair of screwdrivers to pry it out. I assume there's an o-ring around the plastic cap that's making it difficult to remove. Make sure you use some silicone grease when you reassemble it.

slash007

Reaction score
Is there a clamp on it that you've already removed? I'd probably try to pound the plastic cap out of the housing with a rubber mallet, or use a pair of screwdrivers to pry it out. I assume there's an o-ring around the plastic cap that's making it difficult to remove. Make sure you use some silicone grease when you reassemble it.
I did take the clamp off that was on the black rubber part. I figured you just pry it out, but was afraid to damage the housing. I tried a little with some flat screwdrivers, but it didn't budge so I figured I'd see if there was an easier way. There are o-rings inside on the black part.

traveler17

Reaction score
I did take the clamp off that was on the black rubber part. I figured you just pry it out, but was afraid to damage the housing. I tried a little with some flat screwdrivers, but it didn't budge so I figured I'd see if there was an easier way. There are o-rings inside on the black part.
That is the exact housing I have at one wash. Has an O ring seated just below the lip. Like MEP said use a rubber mallet and a flathead

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't recommend this, but if you "bump" the system on a couple times it will gently pop the cap out. Or it'll blow it out so hard it'll leave a dent in the ceiling, but it still does the job.

slash007

Reaction score
I don't recommend this, but if you "bump" the system on a couple times it will gently pop the cap out. Or it'll blow it out so hard it'll leave a dent in the ceiling, but it still does the job.
Lol too late, but I would have tried that. I just remember having the hardest time when I worked on them last. I'm pretty sure it's just a bad internal o-ring in there, but being so hard to open, I'm just going to go ahead and replace the membranes while I'm at it.

Randy

Reaction score
Back in the day when we had to change these we'd put about 5 lbs.of air pressure to the unit and they'd pop apart. But be very careful not to put to much air to it or you could get hurt. We had a cage that we used when we had to open one.

slash007

Reaction score
I was able to get one open by using a flat screwdriver and a mallet and lots of arm strength. I had to get the screw driver in, then work my way all around a few times until it was open enough to finish prying it open with a larger screw driver. I replaced the membrane in one so far, but it turns out the internal o-rings I bought were too large, so I just put it back together and am hoping that the membrane was the issue and not the 0-rings. If I still have the same problem with TDS, I'll have to do this crap all over again. Even putting the caps back on was a bi***h.

mac

Reaction score
What I did was to get a small threaded pipe about a foot long. That fits in one of the holes the black part. Be careful not to run it in to far so as not to crack it. Then slide a bigger part over that. Then put a tee. On top and bump the sliding pipe up to the tee. Should come off after a few bumps.

slash007

Reaction score
What I did was to get a small threaded pipe about a foot long. That fits in one of the holes the black part. Be careful not to run it in to far so as not to crack it. Then slide a bigger part over that. Then put a tee. On top and bump the sliding pipe up to the tee. Should come off after a few bumps.
Great idea. Might give that a shot next time if these hold up. I ended up using a thinner flat head all around, then a medium flat head, then a larger one to finish it off. Wasn't too bad after the 1st cap. I ended up getting everything changed and on a 3:2 ratio, TDS is about 8, so I'm ok for now I think. Was over 120 before I changed the membranes. Was really hoping to get to 5 or lower on TDS, but would probably have to have a 3:3 ratio for that.

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
This is the way we do it - by inserting a threaded nipple into the center port. Best not to pry it.

Russ