What's new

Home built air dryer.

Reaction score
As I truck on with the car wash upgrades another customer asked about air dryers. I like the idea of 3 phase blower. But I can't help but wonder what justifies the cost of the 110v models, its just 3 motors and a switch right? So I found this on kleen-ritecorp.com mount the motor on a sheet of plywood in the attic some vac hose though the roof and have a nice system under $500 a bay. Has anyone done this?

Attachments

Reaction score
I also wonder about using 3 phase contactor/breaker and running a shared nutural circuit. Should save alot of wire running 12 or 14 4

water guy

Reaction score
I worked on a couple of Self serve Carwashs in Houston and the owner built all of his blowers actually he built all of his Self serve equipment.

Reaction score
I have a friend that had some old vacs lying around. He basically cut the tops off and used them as the dryer base.
I've heard that, even seen a video of some i think before vac hose blowers were available. Mounting vac motors in a conduit box to make them blow, the only issue I didn't like about that is it kind of mitigates the cooling of the motor. I figured thease blower motors are pretty cheap, even the manifold is cheaper than we can build them. Not sure why they cost over 1k. Is the paint that expensive?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Can't help but wonder if there is an issue with not just Volume but the amount of pressure certain motors can produce and force thru a pipe of certain size when all plumbed together. . IIRC there are some severe constraints of diminishing returns when you do this for Vacuums. so I would think the same would apply for Blowing.. The constraints may not have a material effect since you also want to limit the amount of power the customer has to handle.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Whats in the boxes?
Excellent thread with innovative idea's! Blanco, whats the round piece with holes attached to the exit end? Also if you mounted these in the attic, any trouble with heat causing premature failure in the summer? Possibly a powered attic ventilator might help?

Reaction score
Excellent thread with innovative idea's! Blanco, whats the round piece with holes attached to the exit end? Also if you mounted these in the attic, any trouble with heat causing premature failure in the summer? Possibly a powered attic ventilator might help?
I never thought of putting the contactor next to the motors. Whats the advantage. I have plenty of room now in my hydrospray box tho.

Blanco

Reaction score
Its a pressure relief valve. It opens when the trigger on the gun is not pulled. There really not needed though.

I have not had any issues with the attics. My first five blowers I ever made about 8 years ago are still in operation. Not a single motor has gone bad on any of them.