What's new

High Pressure Hose Emergency Repair Methods?

dukeofsuds

Reaction score
My car wash is located in rural area, and I'm curious if anyone has found a solution for a problem I sometimes encounter. Random high pressure hoses go at the most unpractical times and the store that makes high pressure hose replacements aren't open 24/7. Is there any tape, trick, or kit that can take a partially burst hose and keep it going for a 1/2 day or a day to keep going rather than shutting down?

I've tried some various duct tapes, flex tapes, but to no avail. I read about an idea where to surround it with a bigger hose and put hose clamps on it. That might work, not sure.

But before I reinvent the wheel, does anyone have any go-to solutions that are battle tested?

Thanks!

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Go to Kleenrite and look up barb connectors and clamps.
Matter of the size of the hose buy the brass barbed fitting you need and 2 clamps.
I usually buy several different sizes of connectors and clamps to keep in stock just in case I might need them for other hoses.
Cut the hose cleanly at the break and push the connector into both ends of the hose. Then tighten clamps on both sides of the spliced hose.
The connector should fit tightly into both ends of the hose.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've also used barbs and double clamps for a high-pressure hose repair, but it's very iffy. Sometimes the pressure rips the repair apart to the point it rips the rubber out from inside the hose. There are reusable fittings that can make a permanent repair and are installed with hand tools.

If your lines are old and just bursting without rubbing through on anything, I'd suggest replacing them all. They may be failing from age and will all need to be replaced anyway. IMO there's no reason to wait for them to burst. I have a hand swage unit and sometimes fixing an old hose doesn't hold for more than a few months.

Last edited:

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Have you ever used a reusable style fittings if your hose is not old and dryrotten it will get you out of a jerk for sure. They can take some practice and patience to know how to install them correctly

Randy

Reaction score
Why "Jerry Rig" it, just keep spare hoses. We keep enough spare hose to re-hose 2 bays from the pump out to the gun. We keep spares of everything. Every 7 years we replace all the hoses from the pump to the boom swivel.

soapy

Reaction score
I use 2 of the manual replacement hose ends and join them together when I have a hose burst anywhere other than the drop line from the boom. I will post pictures later. IMG_2607.JPG

Last edited:

Overachiever

Reaction score
I read on here a while back about people wrapping a pop can around the hose and using hose clamps. Have never tried it myself though.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take a soda can and cut the ends off. Start at one end and tear the can in a spiral. Wrap the can around the break, overlapping it. Use several hose clamps along the repair area. Temporary fix. It will leak a bit but it will work.

FWIW: I keep every HP hose for my equipment as a spare in inventory.

soapy

Reaction score
I use 2 of these to repair a hose that has a leak somewhere in the middle of a long hose. Cut the leaking area out with a mini grinder with cutoff wheel. Thread the large fitting onto the outside of the hose then insert the end with the tapered nipple into the hose and you use a couple of wrenches and thread the two together. I then use a double tapered nipple fitting to join the two repairs together. You can get these with a swivel end or fixed but you must have at least one swivel end when join the two hoses together.

bigjws

Reaction score
I second the 'reusable' fittings .. that's pretty much all I use. I have reels of bulk hose (3/8, 1/2, and 3/4) from Kleen-rite, and can make up a new hose of any size within 10 minutes. The larger the hose, the harder it is to put the resuable end on though, but all 3 sizes are doable especially in a vice.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
This is the aluminum can trick post:https://www.carwashforum.com/thread...e-patch-in-ten-minutes-for-2.7772/#post-58283

I've done this in this past and as long as the hose is a straight run it works surprisingly well. I most often use it when I'm not at my main wash and don't have the correct hose or fittings. I can do it in a few minutes and it keeps me from having to stop and get a repair hose. I've used hose repaired like this for months before replacing it.

Randy

Reaction score
The problem with doing a temporary repair is it normally gets forgoten and ends up being a permanent repair.

dukeofsuds

Reaction score
Where are these hoses located? in the equipment room, in the bays?
in the automatic bay. This particular one was from rubbing, and wasn't caught. All the hoses are about a year old and were replaced. But it was more a general question, as I was curious what other people do. The hydraulic hoses need a hose guy to make one, and in our town, he's open 5 days a week. So the worse case happened where it burst on a Saturday, leaving us until Monday to replace it.

dukeofsuds

Reaction score
This is the aluminum can trick post:https://www.carwashforum.com/thread...e-patch-in-ten-minutes-for-2.7772/#post-58283

I've done this in this past and as long as the hose is a straight run it works surprisingly well. I most often use it when I'm not at my main wash and don't have the correct hose or fittings. I can do it in a few minutes and it keeps me from having to stop and get a repair hose. I've used hose repaired like this for months before replacing it.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're using the Attach files button, once the pictures are uploaded you have to select thumbnail or full image before it will insert in the post. It will appear wherever the cursor is when you select.

soapy

Reaction score
I have attached many photos in the past and I have tried on this thread a couple of more times but it is not going through. Oh well.