What's new

HELP! newbie in Michigan

richardgpw2024

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!

I work for a commercial general contractor in Michigan (Metro-Detroit/S.E. Michigan) area and a client would like to have a drive through car wash built at their car dealership.

Just looking for any and all recommendations to considerations, etc.

We will be building the wash tunnel using 8" split-face CMU masonry blocks and there will be an equipment room adjacent to the tunnel. Building will be 45'L x 25'W x 14' H.

Insulation recommended on walls/footings?
Any suggestions for the depth and strength of concrete slab on grade in the tunnel...4", 5", 6"?
Any 'sealer' or epoxy on the concrete in wash tunnel?
Painting suggestions?
Does the equipment room need a unit heater or any heating at all?
Does a drive thru car wash tunnel require any HVAC equipment?
We are Not including any water reclaim system in our proposal(agree/disagree??)

ANYTHINIG else that anyone familiar with building a ground up car wash tunnel in Michigan or surrounding states can think of to help a newbie out will be greatly appreciated!!!! :)

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
First off, what type of car wash do you want? You say tunnel, but 45' length says in bay automatic. Usually tunnels are much longer and house a conveyor to move the car along, and the equipment is stationary. In an in bay automatic, the car is parked and the equipment moves over and around the car. Tunnel/conveyor washes are for maximum throughput, IBAs are slower and more compact, but can usually be operated without labor for the most part. When set up correctly, neither is better than the other, just which is better for the application.

HeyVern

Reaction score
Tell them to start with a contractor that knows how to build a car wash

Wash4Life

Reaction score
Bingo. I know a big full service chain in my area that opted to end a relationship with a contractor they used for building. They went with someone inexperienced, and it was a disaster for a good while. They started calling subcontractors of the contractor to redo and thus fix the problems.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
You're asking us how to build, but you are the contractor?

Yikes.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
100% Had an issue at a wash and the GC and Union Subs were clueless. Used Thinwall for electrical where it should have been heavy wall., put electricl disconnects where water was being dumped on them,, spec'd Drywall for the tunnel, (caught that one) didn't know spec's for a required Break tank, didn't know best supplier for Unit Heaters,, messed up with backflow preventers.

kentadel

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!

I work for a commercial general contractor in Michigan (Metro-Detroit/S.E. Michigan) area and a client would like to have a drive through car wash built at their car dealership.

Just looking for any and all recommendations to considerations, etc.

We will be building the wash tunnel using 8" split-face CMU masonry blocks and there will be an equipment room adjacent to the tunnel. Building will be 45'L x 25'W x 14' H.

Insulation recommended on walls/footings?
Any suggestions for the depth and strength of concrete slab on grade in the tunnel...4", 5", 6"?
Any 'sealer' or epoxy on the concrete in wash tunnel?
Painting suggestions?
Does the equipment room need a unit heater or any heating at all?
Does a drive thru car wash tunnel require any HVAC equipment?
We are Not including any water reclaim system in our proposal(agree/disagree??)

ANYTHINIG else that anyone familiar with building a ground up car wash tunnel in Michigan or surrounding states can think of to help a newbie out will be greatly appreciated!!!! :)
Richard, you ran into a hornet's nest with your 1st post.
The contractor you work for should know most of this, but here are my answers.
Spray foam insulation
6 inch
Yes to sealer
No paint, use poly like extrutech
Yes to heater
Needs to stay above 32 so yes
No opinion on reclaim
Good luck.

Blanco

Reaction score
Im in MI. I sent you a PM with my info. Im a car wash chain owner, distributor, and installer. I can help you out with the building process. I dont mind.