What's new

Headlight Restoration

wood

Reaction score
Express Headlight Restoration

Just wondering: Has anybody thought of trying express headlight restoration? Someone came to me with a product that is a wipe on and off. No buffer, or tape required. Takes 5 minutes. Seems to be something one can offer in express wax, shampoo,tire shine, vinyl protectant mold. Meaning, at the end of the line in the staging area, or flex serve building.

Any comments?

Wood

Last edited:

mjc3333

Reaction score
We use a product from Ardex in Philadelphia PA that does a great job. It comes in the form of spray can. You first have to wet sand the head light to prepare the surface for the spray application. Once you spray the lens, you hit it with an ultraviolet light for an hour to cure the product. The lens looks brand new and lasts quite a long time.

Before this spray product, we would wet sand the headlight with 1000 grit, then 1500grit, then 2000 grit sandpaper. Then we used a wheel cleaning product on it with a high speed buffer. This process took at least 1 hour per lens to do the right way. Over a period of time, however, the lens would start to haze over again from the suns uv rays. This was a cheap way of doing the cleaning compared to the spray system mentioned above.

Because the results took a long time to produce, and the job seemed not to last, we only use the spray system on our headlight restorations.

http://www.ardexwax.com/uploads/Accessory_Catalog_4.30.pdf
page 23

wood

Reaction score
thanks for the response. however, i am talking about an approximate price point of $19.95. your product and method i'm sure works well, but takes time and would cost more.

this is a two step wipe on wipe off product that takes 5 min and could be done in the full serve exit end staging area or flex serve building.

wood

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For $19.95 you could sand them with 1000 grit wetordry and buff them back up with a rotary buffer. Could be done in an express timeframe. I know because I do it all the time. I charge $39/per lens and get fabulous results.

Sanding, taping and buffing takes little effort. Less than a carpet express I'd say.

mikeycarwash

Reaction score
I'll try it.

Hey Wood, We charge $49.95 for both headlights. I'd love to try what you have. 5 minutes per light with lasting results would be great! I work for a chain of washes, if it works here , the rest would use it too. It's definatly a sellable service.
Mike

MikeV

Reaction score
BG Products make a headlight restorer that wroks very well and is easy. go to bgfindashop.com

wood

Reaction score
mike v, why would any of us need an outside shop for headlight restoration, or any detail services? we operate carwashes. i don't know why you offered a link to another business. if it is something we can't handle we either state such or recommend someone we already know in or around town.

this is a quick wipe on, wipe off. 5 min. no sandpaper (unless you have a lens severely pitted), and no buffer. the product works. naturally, just like an express detail can be improved with a $150 hi speed buff job, but that's not the potential market for this.

wood

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
mike v, why would any of us need an outside shop for headlight restoration, or any detail services? we operate carwashes. i don't know why you offered a link to another business. if it is something we can't handle we either state such or recommend someone we already know in or around town.

this is a quick wipe on, wipe off. 5 min. no sandpaper (unless you have a lens severely pitted), and no buffer. the product works. naturally, just like an express detail can be improved with a $150 hi speed buff job, but that's not the potential market for this.

wood
Perhaps you could share this no labor method with the rest of us?;)

wood

Reaction score
it's not no labor, but easy labor. any towel dry/wipe down employees can apply.

the process is:

1) wipe lens dry
2)apply step 1 moist towelette with product already in towel from factory
3) wipe lens again
4) apply step 2 moist towelette with product already in towel from factory
5) wipe lens dry
6) finished in 5 minutes

the yellow, cloudy look of the headlight is instantly gone. i have tried some samples, works great.
my thought is to use this as an express service offering. we are always looking for the next, new product offering, i think this is marketable.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
it's not no labor, but easy labor. any towel dry/wipe down employees can apply.

the process is:

1) wipe lens dry
2)apply step 1 moist towelette with product already in towel from factory
3) wipe lens again
4) apply step 2 moist towelette with product already in towel from factory
5) wipe lens dry
6) finished in 5 minutes

the yellow, cloudy look of the headlight is instantly gone. i have tried some samples, works great.
my thought is to use this as an express service offering. we are always looking for the next, new product offering, i think this is marketable.
Whats the name of the product?

MikeV

Reaction score
Wood, it is a place where you can buy the headlight restoration product. I did not suggest that you take your car there.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Really?

Wood,

Please feel free to share the name of the product and where we can get it. I've done headlight restoration and quite frankly I don't believe your claims. If it works the way you say it does I would be truly amazed.

John Moran

wood

Reaction score
i received product and instruction sheet. they were just labeled step 1 and step 2. i asked the rep, and i was informed it was going to be called restorem. names, logo, marketing info being finalized to launch april 1st.

wood

soapy

Reaction score
I found a product that Honda motorcycle dealers sell for plexiglass windsheilds on motorcycles that works very well on headlights. It is made by Glare polishes and can be purchased direct from Glare. Most head lights can be restored with a single application of this product. Heavily oxidized lights will still have to be sanded but most will come clear with just this product being applied with a small rotary polisher even an electric drill.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
i received product and instruction sheet. they were just labeled step 1 and step 2. i asked the rep, and i was informed it was going to be called restorem. names, logo, marketing info being finalized to launch april 1st.

wood
Here is some info I found with a google search.

http://www.meds-world.com/index.php?p=product&id=15&parent=1

Plastic headlights become cloudy and yellowed for a variety of reasons: environmental conditions, chemicals, acid rain or oxidization. Traditional restoration methods have included wet sanding and buffing using a variety of products. In some cases, the restoration process can take as long as an hour. Using a buffer increases the risk of burning the paint or plastic surrounding the headlight. Buffing causes the plastic lens to cloud within a short period. Buffing opens the pores in the plastic, exposing the lenses to increased contamination. Most processes will not protect the lens with a finishing coat. Operator error can provide inconsistent results. Typically, a vendor can repair two sets per hour with an average billing of $45 to $65 per set.

MEDS RESTOREM is only a two-step process and eliminates the need for buffing. Repair both headlights in 2 to 3 minutes! A vendor can easily do 10 sets of headlights per hour. The product requires no additional equipment. Repairs are performed where the vehicle sits. Step 1 cleans the lens and provides a preview to the finished product. Step 2 provides a lasting sealant protecting the headlights for up to a year. MEDS RESTOREM is a quick and consistent method of plastic lens restoration. It is an excellent revenue source for vendors. Dealers can perform this service ?¢‚ǨÀúin house?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢, saving an average of $35 to $55 per car!

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Continued...

1 Always do each step to both headlights at a time.
2 Open Step 1 and cover the entire surface of the plastic lens, using a side to side motion. Avoid drips and runs from painted surfaces, immediately wipe chemicals off with a paper towel in the event of a spill. Step 1 is a cleaner/conditioner that provides a temporary preview to what the headlight will look like when it is finished. Once satisfied with the results, move to the next headlight. If pitting or oxidation are visible, lightly wet-sand the damaged area of the lens. Begin with 1000 or 1500 grit and finish with 2000 grit sandpaper. Use minimal pressure while sanding to avoid scratching or scarring the plastic. Saturating the sandpaper in water and dishwashing liquid is recommended. A small Tupperware type container works well.
3 Clean area with a damp cloth and dry headlight. Repeat Step 1 until you are satisfied, and then move to the next headlight. Repeat the above operations for the second headlight. When satisfied with the look of both headlights using Step 1, clean both headlights with a damp towel and wipe dry with a lint-free cloth.
5 Open Step 2 and apply liberally to each headlight using a smooth, side to side and top to bottom method. Move quickly. Step 2 will self-level as it dries and cure rapidly, usually in 2 - 15 minutes, depending on sun, heat and humidity

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
This doesn't seem as easy as it is advertised. I would bet you would have to wet sand most of the lens anyway since most of the people that would want it done would be because the lenses are cloudy. I thought it was interesting that in the promo it said buffing is bad because it opens the pores in the plastic (from my experience this is not factual. There are no "pores" in plastic and wet saniding would be as aggressive as buffing.) but in the instructions it says wet sanding may be required. In reality although buffing would require more skill it should be less aggressive than sanding depending on what you use when you buff so I think this is a little misleading. In addition it sounds like a sealer product finishes the job which I would think would require some skill to apply correctly and without getting on any other surface.

It does sound interesting. Basically I think it would require some training and experience to do this procedure correctly. If you give it a try please let us know how it works.

MEP001

Reaction score
It also sounds like that instead of buffing or sanding it uses something strong enough to chemically melt the surface of the lens. A lot of lenses are clear-coated, and anything strong enough to remove yellowed or flaking clear coat will remove paint just as easily.

mjc's process sounds much more like something that I'd pay for. If I shelled out $20 bucks for someone to wipe my headlights with a couple of towelettes, I'd not be pleased.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I think that it's success will depend on how long the "cure" last. If in a few days/weeks it turns yellow or worse again, then you would have a problem.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was a product years ago that would 'renew' a dull and oxidized paint finish.

I had fits taking it off of cars that had tried it.

It did not deliver as promised.

Common sense will tell you that sanding and polishing oxidized plastic (whether with wetsand paper or a polishing wheel and polish) is the way to achieve acceptable, lasting results.