What's new

Grease fittings on Regulator

slash007

Reaction score
I took the below photo last week as I intended to post her and ask if I should be greasing the fittings on these regulators. There are at least 3 on my Razor pump stand. Well today I was searching for a leak and found that water was squirting out of one of the grease fittings. I tightened it with no luck, then for fun removed it and put some tape on the threads. When I put it back, water started squirting out of the other grease fitting instead. I did the same with that one, and the leak went back to the first grease fitting. Is the regulator bad, or is there something in there that I can repair? Also, should I be greasing them? 20220131_151057.jpg

slash007

Reaction score
I read that whole thread when it was posted, told myself you never know when it my affect me. A couple of weeks later and I already forgot about it! Thanks.

DPD36

Reaction score
Kleenrite has the rebuild kit (K316), but you have to call. It is not listed on the website.

slash007

Reaction score
Kleenrite has the rebuild kit (K316), but you have to call. It is not listed on the website.
It's $30 and takes 2 weeks plus, so just buying the o-rings is so much cheaper. Just need to decide if I need the Teflon rings before I order. I see that those are what seem to ruin the o-rings in the first place.

Beddattery

Reaction score
What you might try is using the attached exploded view to replace the orings (item #10 on subassembly B)

Oring source attached....

https://www.generalpump.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/CWR1003-Regulator.pdf

2.62mm X 13.1mm (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring [N2.62X013.1] : The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!
The O-Ring Store LLC 2.62mm X 13.1mm (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring [N2.62X013.1] - Cross Section "CS" X Inside Diameter "ID" Metric O-Rings Buna-N 70 Duro (NBR): The most commonly used elastomer for sealing products. Nitrile, also known as Buna-N or NBR, is a copolymer of Butadiene and...
www.theoringstore.com

water guy

Reaction score
I had a leaking regulator as well and received a rebuild kit and installed it worked for a month now it's peeing out of the grease fitting more.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I had a YBRV5325 on the shelf and took it apart to see what's inside- the kind that MEP says lasts for years. The main difference, and I think it's huge, is that the o-rings the YBRV5325 slide up and down against the stainless bullet whereas the CWR4525 (grease fitting version) the O-rings are mounted onto the stainless bullet and slide up and down against the brass housing. The last CWR4525 I had that was leaking couldn't be repaired with new 0-rings/backup rings because the walls of the brass housing were marred (yes I do grease the units). O-rings rubbing against stainless will last a lot longer than against brass.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I think the problem with the grease fitting version of these regulators is the silver bullet has the O-rings and they go up and down/vibrate against the brass housing causing the brass housing to mar/scratch/gouge. After that it's over. The other version of the regulator (without grease fittings) the O-rings are mounted on the brass housing and the silver bullet goes up and down/vibrates on/against the rings and doesn't scratch/mar the silver bullet. I've had this version in my pumps now for several months with no leaking- two automatics.

PEI

Reaction score
We grease ours monthly and are getting almost twice the life out of them.

copperglobe

Reaction score
IMG-0049.jpg

I just replaced another of the CWR4525 valves today. These are the ones where the O-rings rub against the brass housing. Zoom in you you can see the marring of the brass throat down in there. Rebuilding this brass part won't do anything about leaking of the grease fittings. When we use the YBRV5325 the O-rings are mounted to the brass and they slide up and down against the stainless bullet- lasting for years.