What's new

garage door openers

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I installed them myself, but I do all my own wiring and plumbing, been doing that type of work for years.
Overall pretty straight forward mechanically, electrically you still need to know what you are doing to tie it into your automatic systems.
Simple to adjust springs need to be set correctly in my case so doors opened and closed at about the same rate.
xcite, I am kind of sold on the strapeze counterweights that we have used for over 20 years now. Do you think the Supralift II would be possibly a better fit with those vs your springs???

xcite

Reaction score
I plan on going to the counter weight system when i get new doors in few years. Just working with what I have for now.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Alberta, are there physical limits in the gearbox for open and closed? Is there a method to get out if the door fails? Like a pull chain to release the brake or similar? Thanks for posting. Did not know those existed.

Alberta north

Reaction score
Alberta, are there physical limits in the gearbox for open and closed? Is there a method to get out if the door fails? Like a pull chain to release the brake or similar? Thanks for posting. Did not know those existed.
It’s very easy to set the open and close limits.
This is setup on a 10x10 door with a wash world profile IBA.
We didn’t get the chain backup not sure how we would open the door if the power went out.

MGSMN

Reaction score
Limits are set by calibration, there is a encoder built into the motor. Simply enter calibration mode, run the door open to where you want it to stop and press enter. Then run the door closed to where you want it to stop and press enter. Then you cycle the door once to save the settings... Our openers have battery back up which can run the door for many cycles after power has been lost, however after that there would be no way to open the door manually. The battery in Alberta's picture maintains the program settings on power loss. Open/close speeds can be set independently of each other as can ramp up/down.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
That setup is what Ultimate Door was selling for a while before they tried coming out with their own and eventually going out of business. We still have 4 of them running and they are really good units with one caveat. There is a Chinese mechanical brake in that last section furthest from the shaft. If you don’t use the door for a length of time (like summer) that brake will seize up and your operator is inoperable. I recommend running the operator weekly, even in the summer to keep it moving. You can buy replacement brakes but they are very expensive, disproportionately expensive compared to the whole unit.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Even with that specific operator ... I would still feel a bit queasy about using it with self service customers - larger doors from a safety standpoint. Just letting the customers manually open & close with great counterweights-springs for our self service has proven the better choice for us since 1968. Simple pull down with ropes off to one side ... not dangling in the middle of the door. Proper balanced ... lift with one finger ... not that much different than touching a button by that same customer finger IMHO!

boylejake

Reaction score
If you're looking for some garage door opener then perhaps you can look out for https://www.garagedoornation.com . Btw before I bought my new house I never knew that doors were so... expensive lol.That's why I decided to buy different small door parts and assemble them together and make a door, haha. I mean, my house's pretty big so there're like at least 7 doors. I've wasted too much money on the wallpaper so I figured it would only be reasonable that I save up some money on doors

Last edited: