What's new

FRP panels without silicone?

JustClean

Reaction score
I have seen now many various posts about the danger of HF. How about if we all could get a list together of products that are safe to use AND do work?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In reality many of the products most washes use could be potentially dangerous if not handled or applied properly. My point hasn't been to raise doubts about all the various products in use or to start a crusade against car wash chemicals (with the possible exception of products containing the fluoride ion). The point is that operators need to know as much as possible about the proper handling and application of every product they are using and to limit access to them to employees that are fully aware of what they are dealing with including remedies if they experience a problem with them. This is not only good operating procedure but is part of what OSHA requires.

JustClean

Reaction score
In reality many of the products most washes use could be potentially dangerous if not handled or applied properly. My point hasn't been to raise doubts about all the various products in use or to start a crusade against car wash chemicals (with the possible exception of products containing the fluoride ion). The point is that operators need to know as much as possible about the proper handling and application of every product they are using and to limit access to them to employees that are fully aware of what they are dealing with including remedies if they experience a problem with them. This is not only good operating procedure but is part of what OSHA requires.
My point hasn't been to criticize any input. I am just after a safe, quality cleaner. That's all. If we can't get this list together it only means: Use whatever you like but be careful! But I think we can do better than this. So let me rephrase my last posting:

How about if we all get a list together of products that are RELATIVELY safe to use AND do work?

MEP001

Reaction score
As I indicated before, cleaning something depends on what you're trying to remove. I've noticed that with FRP it gets "dirty" in many little speckles. Soils may be leeching in around the exposed fiberglass fibers, and it will be all but impossible to clean that. Perhaps a company that refurbishes fiberglass tubs and showers could recoat the stained FRP, and their coatings may be impervious to future staining.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I had a bathtub, re-colored/finished and I would think that the product would not work in any hostile environment.

soapy

Reaction score
I have found Muratic acid from the paint store to work very well on polymax. I usually do 2 panels at a time. I pour it straight into a bucket and dilute with an equal part of water and use a brush to put it on the wall panels. After getting both panels covered with acid I go back to the start and gently scrub with a brush on a lang handle. 1 to 2 gallons will do a large automatic bay.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Ware protective clothing and goggles, that crap burns when you get in on your skin.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Here's what Ryko's "New" Wall and Equipment Cleaner did for me:

Before:

After:

I had the whole bay done in 2-3 hrs with "minimal" scrubing and this is 6 1/2yrs of grime on those walls and equipment, it was worse in our OHD bay and both bays came out like new and with no HF. Call Ryko and get a sample try it for yourself.

Last edited:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Do you have the MSDS Sheet for their wall cleaner? I looked on their site and they do not post it. I would bet that that there is some form of the fluoride ion in it. I am always suspicious when a manufacturer does not list the MSDS for a product on line. In my many years in the industry I have never seen a wall cleaner that works that well that does not contain the fluoride ion in some form.

I assume you wore protective gear when you cleaned the bay.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
It looks to me that you could use some more light in there. I had 3 400 watt MH in mine, and it was like daylight.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
It's just the camera I forgot to put the flash on but it is brightier then that, as for the MSDS sheet I am gettting that from Ryko's Chemical Engineer Monday and will post it here also yes I did suit up full face shield, resperator, better be safe then dead.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Ryko should have given you an MSDS sheet when they sold you the product. Any professional chemical supplier should always provide you an MSDS sheet for you for any product you are sold for the first time without you having to ask and provide updates for all others when necessary. I would have a talk with Ryko or my chemical supplier if I were you to make sure you have MSDS sheets on all the products they are supplying. You could have potentially injured yourself not knowing what protective measures you should have taken and the nature of the product you were using.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Besides that you have to have the MSDS sheets on your property for every chemical that you have or you can be fined.

Twodose

Reaction score
We've never used glue or silicone to fix the panels to the walls on our installations. We felt without glue the panels could expand and contract due to seasonal temperature changes. We haven't had any problems in six years time. We did use clear silicone to fix the vertical end J chanels to the FRP panels, not the walls. With a little practice, we learned to put a fine bead deep in the chanel to glue the chanel without a messy squese out. In all, we've installed nearly 100 4x10 ft. sheets and 44 14 ft. sheets without any real problems.

Did you seal around the bottom of the panels after they are all up ?

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
We didn't seal the bottoms or tops of the panels with silicone when they were up. Haven't had any problems with moisture build up after six years.

Red Baron

Reaction score
What is the per bay cost for FRP? What about Extrutech? I am not worried about specifics, but what is the roundabout out the door price?

We're in the middle of a 7 bay project using the 24" Extrutech panels. Material = $6,000, shipping was $1,000. It goes up nice and we've had numerous compliments after only 2 bays. Don't scrimp on the Liquid Nails - we're using a full tube per 24" x 72" panel. I figure a couple hundred dollars extra for LN will be a lot cheaper than repairing blown off panels next spring, as I've had to do before.

Btw, 6 self serve bays use 72" panels while the IBA uses 11' panels.

Last edited: