What's new

FRP panels without silicone?

vashick1

Reaction score
I recently rehabbed a 4 bay ss with 4x8 FRP panels. Per the directions, I used a bead of silicone when installing all moldings. I like everything about the FRP panels except the silicone oozing out of each molding and attracting dirt. I am thinking of rehabbing another ss with FRP but without the silicone at each molding. Anyone have any long term experience using FRP without silicone? Thanks.

Reaction score
I had done an 8bay self serve with fRP. I didnt use any silicone. looked fine been 4 years still looks great. and the last five years with the distributor I cant recall any of the contractors using silicone? and we used to leave a 1/4 inch gap top and bottom that stuff tends to swell. atleast out here in the NE hot humid summers vold cold winters. I dont think you would have an issue .IMHO

Doug P.

Reaction score
I have FRP that has been up for 14 years and no problems from not using silicone.

Doug P.

Installer

Reaction score
to add to what NHT said, when you drill the holes for the rivot pins, drill the ones through the FRP bigger than the 1/4" hole for the pin itself in the masonary. This will keep it from having the "wavey" look when it swells. And i would never use either silicone or liquid nails to secure it. I just found this new material from RBS that is very similar to FRP and installs very easy. It's tongue and groove and typical J channel trim. But man the stuff loks awsome and seems to be holdingup well in my self-serve bays. It's called Renew wall I believe? It's on their website. Royal Building Products. Won't yellow over time like FRP, but FRP is good stuff as well!

Twodose

Reaction score
Any Information about FRP Panels.

Where they can be purchased.

Brand Names.

Installation tips, recommendations.

Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
Extrutech isn't FRP, but it does look better.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Sorry. I knew that Extrutech is not FRP. Either one is better than painting. FRP is easier to install and work with but I think Extrutech looks better and lasts longer. I just thought I would give him something else to consider.

Parker

Reaction score
You can get FRP at home depot or any major building supply store. Home depot only carries the 8 foot sheets. Last I checked it was around 30 bucks a sheet here. I use the plastic rivets to install them along with plastic dividers and corners.... Just make sure you get FRP and not the flimsy plastic paneling the stiffer the panel the better, the other stuff bubbles as it expands and contracts with temperature changes

soapy

Reaction score
I have installed both FRP and a product called Polymax from a company called Farmtech. The poly max board is a little cheaper but you have to have it shipped in. It goes up the same as FRP. I think the polymax is easier to clean and looks better once it is up. Farm tech also sells a system similar to extrutech now with 3 different options for thickness of panels.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Is there a price differential between Extrutech and Polymax?

tn carwash

Reaction score
try a web search. purchased mind in ga. the fellow that went and got it called me to let me know they had seconds at half price. he said could not tell the difference. i can not either and they were in 12 sections

Gabriel

Reaction score
If you research Thomas Registry, you can find factory direct, cut sheets or rolls of FRP. I purchased at almost half price buying direct. Worth checking.

AdamA

Reaction score
Farmtek.com. I dealt with Tracy and he was knowledgable re car washes. Smooth FRP type product. Looks nice.

AdamA

Reaction score
Check Farmtek.com for install instructions for their FRP. Could use same plan for others. Basically what others are saying...no silicone, oversized holes to allow expansion/contraction.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What is the per bay cost for FRP? What about Extrutech? I am not worried about specifics, but what is the roundabout out the door price?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
No silicone, oversized holes to allow expansion/contraction. That's the way I've done it for 25 years. No problems.

Twodose

Reaction score
http://www.polyzone.com/asp/Product.asp?PG=2193

I looked all over the web and this is the only website that mentions there FRP for use in a Car Wash.

I talked to them yesterday, said he could do better on the price listed for quantity.

Thickness seems to be more than other brands. Plus you can buy up to 12'.

Years ago you used to see ads for them in the trade mag's, you also used to get samples and ads in the mail on a regular basis, no that I want to use it I am hard pressed to find information!:D

Twodose

Reaction score
I am going to install with no adhesive. Manufacture recommends using adhesive on the panels because of ice buildup, although you would have less with frp.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Put on FRP over 30 years ago at one location and other than a few damaged corners that were replaced it looks about like it did when we put it on. Put it in our Car Wash 10 years ago and have never replaced a panel. Installed with oversize holes, small spacing and clean it periodically. I think Farm Tec offers about the same paneling. I have heard good news about both.