What's new

Foam brush acting-up

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
HCW,

BTW, we have always set our inlet air at 90 PSI which is within the 100 PSI Flojet maximum spec ... for the simple reason if all six of our hogs hair bristle brushes are being used simultaneously ... the lathering foaming brush soap will always be enough GPM on the liquid part of the mixture. To verify, refer back to the pump diagram (on the above link) showing the GPM relationship between the inlet air PSI & the potential GPM needed.
Mike,

Not to be critical in any way. But if you look at the above link, 90 psi on a flojet will pump nearly 5.5 gpm. I'm wondering if your not getting confused with the chart above the GPM? It gives SCFM of air at a specific pressure. At 40 psi to the flojet, you'll get over 4 gpm flow. I run about 25 oz's per minute of FB soap to each of my bays. Not even a gallon a minute if all 4 bays are using FB at the same time. IMHO, 90 psi is overkill and will likey shorten the life of a flojet. Are you running needle valves?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Mike,

Not to be critical in any way. But if you look at the above link, 90 psi on a flojet will pump nearly 5.5 gpm. I'm wondering if your not getting confused with the chart above the GPM? It gives SCFM of air at a specific pressure. At 40 psi to the flojet, you'll get over 4 gpm flow. I run about 25 oz's per minute of FB soap to each of my bays. Not even a gallon a minute if all 4 bays are using FB at the same time. IMHO, 90 psi is overkill and will likey shorten the life of a flojet. Are you running needle valves?
2Biz,

To me the bottom graph curve with its intercepting graph lines is pretty straightforward ... & I agree that there is only 1-2 GPM gain by running at 90 PSI over 40 PSI. Hopefully, I have not overlooked anything pertinent. I did not pay attention to the SCFM because I knew that either of our 2 air compressors (1 backup) had more than enough SCFM as long as the in line air regulator & Asco solenoid valve etc. did not lower the SCFM too much. The following link is interesting & somewhat related if SCFM was a concern: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/30062/Flow-coefficient-Cv-to-SCFM

Just to make it clear ... as far as I am concerned it is great to hear honest constructive criticism done in good faith. Your point about running with plenty of liquid pumped from your experience for your 4 bay based on your experience makes sense. Remember we have 6 bays. I wonder if anybody has tested a single Flojet with 8 bays or more. If I would have had significant problems in the over 10 years of using them ... I would be all over trying to tweak the pressure downward. The fact that we tweaked our adjustable volume solenoids on the manifolds probably took care of the possible excess. No needle valves are being used unless those adjustable screws on the banks of solenoids qualify.

I tend to go with the Flojet Factory's documentation of the need to keep the air dry &/or temperature of the liquid lower than 120° F &/or proven compatible liquid for the specific seals when it comes to longer pump life. Ideally, we would have kept a log of how much the Flojet was used & of every time a Flojet went down so we could compare in the event we ran with lower operating PSI. We were really thankful that the Flojets were light years ahead of the Aro Pumps we used previously. One thing that was just as reliable is when Dakotal Equipment set up a foam brush system (early 80s) a 430 Cat Pump at low pressure ... but that took up a lot more precious ER space then the Flojet. In fact we left that specific system in place even when we had Specialty Equipment of Mpls-St. Paul come in with their brand new equipment in Sept. of 1987 that included presoak & tire-motor. Because of space needs & the fact the Flojets take seconds to disconnect made a permanently mounted backup system less practical so we freed up the space.

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
This week we had the exact same issue... although it did not affect all of our 6 bays the same way.
Then it wasn't even remotely the "exact same issue."

HCW

Reaction score
We took couple days off and advised the person attending the wash to check FB constantly and what to do if it quits. We arrived back in town last night, I picked up kleen rite box that arrived in the mail and went straight to the car wash. FB wasn't workin, I switched flojet pumps quickly and it worked!
I have a feeling that this problem is solved. Thanks for all suggestions

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We took couple days off and advised the person attending the wash to check FB constantly and what to do if it quits. We arrived back in town last night, I picked up kleen rite box that arrived in the mail and went straight to the car wash. FB wasn't workin, I switched flojet pumps quickly and it worked!
I have a feeling that this problem is solved. Thanks for all suggestions
Maybe it is just me ... but I would still thoroughly test & verify the very low cost liquid inlet port o'ring located on the liquid inlet fitting ... that way you would know that you have the whole Flojet Pump that was replaced as a reliable spare. We have found that a silicone lubricant gel like Sil-Glyde or of similar quality also is pertinent for potential rubber o'ring sealing problems.