What's new

Foam brush acting-up

HCW

Reaction score
Any help in pinpointing the problem is appreciated in this.
For the last month the foam brushes will quit working, air comes out of the brush but no foam(all 4 SS bays).
When this happens, I turn the soap regulator clockwise to 120psi or so for couple of seconds then back to 40psi and usually takes care of the problem. Procon air pump operates the system.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Procon air pump...Never heard of one. You sure you didn't mean Flojet? If this is so, sounds like the shuttle valve is sticking on the flojet. Replace the pump and see if that fixes the problem. Its almost not worth fixing flojets. Their not that expensive...

Also when you refer to "Soap Regulator", are you referring to the regulator that controls the air to the Pump?

MEP001

Reaction score
If you do have a Procon pump, you probably have the air pressure too high and the pump is losing prime. Lower the air pressure to the bays to about 20 PSI.

Take some pictures of the system and post them here.

HCW

Reaction score
Sorry, the air pump is flojet and not procon. It was set at 40psi air and 45 psi product I lowered the air down to 20psi this morning. I'll keep an eye on it. It was working fine this morning and for some reason it quits every 5~6 days or so.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Do you have a spare flojet? Try replacing it. I still think you have a bad shuttle valve in the flojet. Or try to run a little higher pressure on the flojet. I run 60 psi on mine, about 35 on air to the foamers. Every system will be different depending on how its set up.

What do you mean you lowered the pressure to 20 psi?

One regulator controls air to the foamers or "TEE" in the attic. The other controls the flojet. Which one did you lower to 20 psi? Your flojet needs to be set higher than the air to the bays. If the air to the bays is higher PSI than the floject is set at, this could also be your problem. The air to the bays could be over-powering the flojet and not letting it cycle? Just a thought.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
That system is so simple that about all that can be wrong is the FloJet pump going bad.

HCW

Reaction score
I lowered the air to the tee in the attic to 20psi (it was set at 40psi) and left the flow jet psi at 40. Last winter I ran some soap mixed with ethanol through this flow jet. I just ordered new flowjet part # FP57212 from KR

MEP001

Reaction score
The Viton FloJet should be able to handle any chemical you have and costs less.

MichaelGlenn

Reaction score
I had a problem with my tire cleaner flojet where it would stop pumping every couple days... the problem was a bad check valve in one bay allowing high pressure to run back to the low pressure manifold and air lock the pump.

MEP001

Reaction score
I doubt there's a bad check valve in the foam brush system letting high pressure back to the pump.

When that does happen, it's not an air lock, it's pressure trapped between the pump and solenoids that's higher than the MOPD of the solenoid and preventing them from opening.

Randy

Reaction score
I had a problem with my tire cleaner flojet where it would stop pumping every couple days... the problem was a bad check valve in one bay allowing high pressure to run back to the low pressure manifold and air lock the pump.
Normally when a high pressure check valve fails and allows high pressure back to the Flo-Jet pump the pump is ruined. This is one of the reasons why we don’t use Flo-jet pumps anymore on any of the low pressure systems that are interfaced with the High pressure system.

soapy

Reaction score
I would also check the intake tube for algea build up. This time of year it is common for algea to grow in foam brush tank and clog the inlet to the pump.

HCW

Reaction score
I would also check the intake tube for algea build up. This time of year it is common for algea to grow in foam brush tank and clog the inlet to the pump.
It was plugged when I checked it a while back. I replaced the check valve but that didn't fix the problem.

MEP001

Reaction score
Viton is rated "excellent" with ethanol. If you had ruined it with ethanol, it would have quit then.

If the pump quits pumping, it's generally a mechanical issue and has nothing to do with the chemical anyway.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I run all florets for my air pumps. When one acts up, I usually just replace it. Troubleshooting it can be a headache, and you just end up replacing anyway. Especially is things are working fine sometimes, and not others. Sounds like something sticking.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I use santoprene flojets on both FB and PS. I also use methanol in the FB for about 5 months during the winter. I've had the CW for about 4 years and haven't had to replace either of the pumps. I really don't know how long they have been installed.

Do you have a water separator on your compressor. Water in the "Air" to a flojet will kill the shuttle valve faster than anything. Also, sometimes the filter will freeze up causing problems....The pump runs fine without the filter. I think its more for sound deadening than anything?

Twodose

Reaction score
Procon air pump...Never heard of one. You sure you didn't mean Flojet? If this is so, sounds like the shuttle valve is sticking on the flojet. Replace the pump and see if that fixes the problem. Its almost not worth fixing flojets. Their not that expensive...

Also when you refer to "Soap Regulator", are you referring to the regulator that controls the air to the Pump?
Never heard of a Procon pump? They were around long before diaphragm pumps. I still use one for SFR. Has been in service for 20 years. Watch it will die tomorrow LOL...

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Do you have a link to a Procon that is "Air" driven? I did a Google Search and couldn't come up with any....Yes I've heard of "Procon Pumps" but not an air operated one like a flojet. I Have 2 procon fluid pumps in my ER. Both are motor driven....

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Don't rule out the manufacturer's troubleshooting recommendations!

I lowered the air to the tee in the attic to 20psi (it was set at 40psi) and left the flow jet psi at 40. Last winter I ran some soap mixed with ethanol through this flow jet. I just ordered new flowjet part # FP57212 from KR
HCW,

Your setup resembles ours very much & based on this following "Honest to God" coincidence ....

This week we had the exact same issue... although it did not affect all of our 6 bays the same way. Being human we succumbed to not taking the time to calmly look carefully at the troubleshooting tips that Flojet had on their service manual found at https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/files/88a54c5c-c317-48ad-acdd-d598d5e4d4db.pdf . Maybe we were just too overconfident, cynical & had one of those "know it all even though we didn't" moments ... I am not sure ... but I think we were feeling a bit embarrassed :eek: & even scared ... especially since that glitzy looking brand new credit card card no dollar coins :confused: car wash located perilously close to us here in Bismarck is naturally looking to get as much of our business flow that we have worked so hard to build up over the years. We are trying very hard not to be jealous of their $$$ brand new ... less than a month old facility.

Long story short ... the following part has an o'ring on it: 20 - 3/8 STRAIGHT HOSE BARB (listed & shown on the above link). Upon close examination the o'ring looked "not as round" as it should have been. We had that specific spare part on hand. That solved the problem. Apparently, there was a slight leak at this liquid inlet port ... so the inlet for our liquid was not sealed good enough for the draw to occur properly.

So when you get your new Flojet you may want to verify that the very inexpensive o'ring is not the culprit ... which will be OK because you really should have at least one spare Flojet on hand anyway ... even though those pumps tend to be extremely trouble free.

Be sure & let us know what the final most practical solution is ... because I know that we all in our "hearts of hearts" want to be part of the solution & not part of the problem as pro business Ronald Reagon would reiterate many times much to the benefit of the American People ... despite those who made fun of him a bit too much:) or worse yet had unjustified personal anger towards him.

BTW, we have always set our inlet air at 90 PSI which is within the 100 PSI Flojet maximum spec ... for the simple reason if all six of our hogs hair bristle brushes are being used simultaneously ... the lathering foaming brush soap will always be enough GPM on the liquid part of the mixture. To verify, refer back to the pump diagram (on the above link) showing the GPM relationship between the inlet air PSI & the potential GPM needed.

I apologize if this post is too windy & "heaven forbid" over the head of some of you reading it ... hopefully HPW ... the original poster will understand & appreciate it ... My intent is to be thorough & not to be too cryptic ... which some of us more experienced operators sometimes are guilty of. Like one of my college professors used to also say ... "The rest is obvious" ... a bit too much!!! He was not the best ... in my humble opinion ... especially when he was referring to the latest "everybody's doing it" 10 year trend etc.

mike walsh http://www.kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html