What's new

Fleck 9000 problem

RAATCB

Reaction score
I noticed my salt in my brine tank did not go down after 1 day. I noticed on the the front of the dial the little "notch" seems like it is stuck and not letting the dial turn to count the gallons being used "which I believe caused the unit not to regenerate. I lifted up a metal bracket on top and it released the notch. I did a manual regen. and it works fine. After the next regeneration started, the notch again went into the same position and looks stuck and popping out. Can anyone give any feedback on this problem?

I have pictures but do not know how to attach. Please advise.

Thank you,
Richard

MEP001

Reaction score
Put a piece of tape on the cable that comes out of the meter to make a flag and put a mark on the meter itself so you can tell if the meter is actually turning. They do go bad.

RAATCB

Reaction score
The meter does turn. When the unit starts regenerating, their is a notch on top of the black dial. When that moves into the 12 oclock position where the small white gear turns the black dial. It gets stuck. How can I attach a picture?

RAATCB

Reaction score
Can I email you the pictures? You will see the problem right away.

MEP001

Reaction score
Use an image hosting site like Photobucket or Imageshack, or create a shared album on Facebook, upload the images there and then paste a link to the image using the insert image button.

RAATCB

Reaction score
When the black notch on top reaches the 12 o'clock mark. It looks like it gets jammed or stuck and does not move until I manually lift up the metal bracket to release it. Then it starts normal counting gallons until it hits " 0 " so it can start the regeneration.

MEP001 do you know what's the problem? Is a screw loose that's causing the gear to move crooked when it reaches 12 o'clock mark?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Looks like something has come loose on the big dial/gear letting it drop down from the small gear...Here is a picture of my Fleck 9000...You can see the difference. The two gears have to mesh. The "Dog" on the black gear is supposed to stop on the metal bracket when it regins. This is how it resets the amount of usable gallons before next regin.

Last edited:

RAATCB

Reaction score
Looks like something has come loose on the big dial/gear letting it drop down from the small gear...Here is a picture of my Fleck 9000...You can see the difference. The two gears have to mesh. The "Dog" on the black gear is supposed to stop on the metal bracket when it regins. This is how it resets the amount of usable gallons before next regin.

I don't understand what you mean. The black gear with notch keeps moving until it hits 12 o'clock, once it reaches it gets stuck. I do not understand what you mean by both gears have to mesh. Can you explain again pleas?

RAATCB

Reaction score
The last pictures is when I Left up the bracket so the black gear with notch can move freely again. If I do not lift up bracket the black notch stays stuck at the 12 o'clock position. Once I release it from the jammed position. It starts moving again "counting the amount of water", until again it reaches the 12 o'clock position.

RAATCB

Reaction score
Can someone please help me figure out what's the cause of this problem?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
OK...I think I see whats happening. The black tooth should never get to the right side of the metal plate that houses the little white gear. The Clear Plastic "Dog" should trip the regin knob before that happens. If you look at my picture closely, my dial is set so it regin at 3000 gallons. The white dot is lined up with 30, (x100)...When the clear "Dog" hits the regin knob, the gear with the black "Dog" will rotate CW till it hits the metal housing which stops it from turning any further. The clear plastic disc rotates, setting your gallons. It simply pulls out an rotates. Do you know how many gallons your system is before it has to regin? You need to know this before you can set the clear plastic dial. Maybe this helps?

To answer your other question. .The two gears I was talking about is the big black gear and the little white gear. They have to mesh. For some reason, your control dial isn't returning to the start position which alllows the clear trip "Dog" to bypass the Control Dial (see the "L" shaped notch in the control dial on my picture). Yours is not in the correct position to start a regin cycle....Do you see what I mean?

Last edited:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Ok...Let me try this again. When you start a regin cycle manually by turning the manual control CW, does the big black gear rotate CW and reset? It will rotate CW till the black dog hits the metal plate, just to the left of the little white gear? If its not doing this, the problem could be a broken return spring just behind the big black gear. Look in your manual, its Item 9. When the control knob is tripped or turned manually, the spring rotates the black gear back to the start position...

RAATCB

Reaction score
Ok...Let me try this again. When you start a regin cycle manually by turning the manual control CW, does the big black gear rotate CW and reset? It will rotate CW till the black dog hits the metal plate, just to the left of the little white gear? If its not doing this, the problem could be a broken return spring just behind the big black gear. Look in your manual, its Item 9. When the control knob is tripped or turned manually, the spring rotates the black gear back to the start position...
The black gear does NOT rotate clockwise and reset. It continues to move counter clockwise until it reaches the top, then gets stuck and jam. I was talking to Andrew from Softenerparts.com, he said the same thing you did about the broken spring.

In addition, the unit is regenerating not at the correct gallon usage. Andrew mention I might have a continuous regen cycles. He mentioned to replace the whole timer assembly, which is supposable easy to do. Have you ever replaced spring or timer assbemly?

MEP001

Reaction score
This is how it should look:

The clear point the left arrow is pointing to is what actually pushes the dial to start the regeneration cycle. This is yours:

The point is quite clearly past the dial and it should never have gotten that far. Now look at this image again:

The metal plate is either loose or bent - it should always lay flat against the plastic.

First, see if you can lift the plate up and spin the meter dial counter-clockwise a few turns to get the spring pressure back on it. I'd suggest unplugging the softener and turning the regen dial to let the point clear. If the meter dial seems loose where you can pull it away from the back plate, take a pocket knife and lift off the metal disk in the center so you can tighten the screw in the center. Don't bear down on anything, it should just be easily snug. If that all goes well, tighten the screw that holds the metal plate down - it appears to be too loose. Tighten it just enough where the plate still moves up with no friction.

If none of that works like it should, the timer door is very easy to replace. Just remove the screw that the door hinges on that has the ground wire on it, tilt it out and unplug the harness.

As far as it not regenerating at the correct gallon uses, I can tell you what it should be set for if you measure the height and diameter of the tanks. It looks like you have it as high as it will go, and if that isn't high enough you'll need an extended range meter and dial.

RAATCB

Reaction score
Tank is a Clack Tank 12 X 52 with I believe 2 cubic ft. of resin.

MEP001, What's happening is when the clear arrow touches/trips the manual knob into regeneration, the black dial is suppose to spin back clockwise and reset itself into the 12 o'clock position. The white arrow pointing to where the white dot is at "21" so It can again start counting gallons being used. The black dial is NOT spinning/resetting itself and continues to rotate counter clockwise till it reaches the top of the metal bracket/plate, then gets jammed because the dial is still moving and tries to keep moving be gets jammed and stuck.

I ordered a new timer assembly, when I install new assembly:

1: turn power off
2: remove screws
3: unplug/replug harness
4: Meter cable? do I unplug from back of the timer and replug into new assembly?