What's new

Fighting the Freeze During Winter

Randy

Reaction score
Can I order a weep mizer thru KR with the NC option? Do I just add a note in the order? Is there a special model number that I can't find?
Dixmor does not make a Weepmizer anymore that you can use a Normally closed solenoid valve. The internal board of of the new style Weepmizer with the yellow temperature cable has no provisions for a Normally closed solenoid valve. If you want to use a Normally closed valve your going to have to have the Weepmizer control a relay to open and close the Normally closed solenoid valve.

MEP001

Reaction score
Why do you want a NC weepmizer? Typically output 1 is energized when no weep is called for AND using a NO solenoid. The solenoid is powered closed when no weep is called for. That way if power goes out, the NO solenoid will keep things from freezing.
If you need a NC circuit, you can use a SPDT relay to reverse the switching. Or use a DPDT relay and you can have both NO and NC outputs in two different voltages if you ever need it.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Was you directing that comment to Nuphoenix or me? Surely you know by now I understand relay logic and how to apply it. ;) I was asking Nuphoenix Why he would want a weepmizer with a reversed current output 1....I can't think of anything you'd want to run off output 1 other than a weep solenoid? And using a NC weep solenoid would eventually bite you in the arse!

MEP001

Reaction score
Was you directing that comment to Nuphoenix or me?
I was expanding on your comment for his benefit. I don't know that he's using a NC solenoid, he may need a NC circuit for something else entirely. Figured it couldn't hurt to let him know there's an option.

Randy

Reaction score
The older Weepmizers with the gray temperature cable it was possible to install a jumper on the circuit board inside the Weepmizer so you could use a normally closed solenoid valve. The new Weepmizer with the yellow temperature cable, though they look the same don’t have the same circuit board on the inside that will allow you to use a jumper to make work with a normally closed solenoid valve. Like I said in my earlier post it can be done with a relay on output 1 if you want to use a normally closed solenoid valve.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
(y) I hope Nuphoenix comes back and explains what he want to hook up to output one if its something other than a weep solenoid...

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
Why do you want a NC weepmizer? Typically output 1 is energized when no weep is called for AND using a NO solenoid. The solenoid is powered closed when no weep is called for. That way if power goes out, the NO solenoid will keep things from freezing.

To answer your other question, along with what Randy said, put a relay between each connected device on output 2. Why chance running the weepmizer relay at max load when you can put the load on a $10 relay? I choose to protect my $350 weepmizer investment! I have output 2 run 3 different functions. Floor heat, trough heat tape, and a home brew PLC system that winterizes 8 LP hoses. All running off separate relays and powered by output 2.
My system is based on a well in the ER. I have a well pump that recirculates the water from the bays and the IBA. City water is added to the well as needed and used as backup if the power goes out. A NC valve is opened on one side of the tee when the temp drops while the NO valve is held shut till the power goes out.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
I guess I can get a NO valve and check valve a put it on the well side so when the power goes out city water wouldn't be wasted in the well overflow. That will allow me to use the NO Weep Mizer.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Since you have a recirculation system and well, why would you want to cycle your weep on and off? A weepmiser is designed to save water running down the drain like most of our systems do. How big is the pump? Voltage/Amps....Electricity to run a pump is cheap...If I had a recirculation system like that, I'd let it run 100% of the time below 36°....That could easily be controlled by any type of cheaper outdoor t-stat that powers on the output at 35-36°....Only issue I see with a well type system is if the power goes out, so does the pump! You have a battery backup or auto start Generator? Or I guess more solenoids and relays to use city water if the electric goes off. .Makes things complicated!

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
Since you have a recirculation system and well, why would you want to cycle your weep on and off? A weepmiser is designed to save water running down the drain like most of our systems do. How big is the pump? Voltage/Amps....Electricity to run a pump is cheap...If I had a recirculation system like that, I'd let it run 100% of the time below 36°....That could easily be controlled by any type of cheaper outdoor t-stat that powers on the output at 35-36°....Only issue I see with a well type system is if the power goes out, so does the pump! You have a battery backup or auto start Generator? Or I guess more solenoids and relays to use city water if the electric goes off. .Makes things complicated!
I wanted a central system to control the weep and IBA rail heater. I think my pump cycles too much and using the weep miser will cut that down. I have three t-stats that control three different systems and it would be nice to have one unit that did everything. Every night that it gets cold I have to plug all those units in and set the valves. With the weep mizer and don't have to do anything except plug the NO valve in. Would be nice if the weep mzer had the option of a third output.

MEP001

Reaction score
With the weep mizer and don't have to do anything except plug the NO valve in. Would be nice if the weep mzer had the option of a third output.
As I mentioned, if you use a single DPDT relay you will add four outputs, two NO and two NC, and each could run a different voltage. Output two is just on or off at set temperature.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Since you have a recirculation system and well, why would you want to cycle your weep on and off?
Because customers leave the wands on the bay floors, which effectively means he's weeping city water. At least that what happens at my wash.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Can I order a weep mizer thru KR with the NC option? Do I just add a note in the order? Is there a special model number that I can't find?
I think I tried that years ago and it was not available. Why do you want this?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
My system is based on a well in the ER. I have a well pump that recirculates the water...
I agree with everything 2biz said, but having been stung I take the precaution -

I have the same setup as nuphoenix, HUGE money saver to be weeping the same water over and over!
I have it set up with a weepmizer and NO solenoid.
However, yes, years ago the power went out and the entire wash froze. Of course it was a sunny january saturday, and I was out of town coaching a soccer tournament.
So I added a city water feed into the weep system thru a second NO solenoid, powered all the time to keep it closed, not thru the weep mizer. That way when the power is working I weep recycled water, when the power goes out I weep city water.

I added a third input for weeping hot water, I've chosen to do that on a few occasions.
To manage that "complexity" I built a small manifold. Gauges, ball valves, solenoids, etc. Sounds complex, but not really, I pretty much never have to touch it. I think I have a pic somewhere...

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Yep, there it is.
Kindly ignore the fact that the gauges blew out and needed to be replaced when I took this pic :)
The reason for the outputs being separated is because the furthest bays needed more flow to prevent freezing, so a second pressure regulator solved that quite easily.
And yes, I could just weep more water - but that leads to more weep washers. It always seems to be a balancing act. OK, or maybe I'm just... ;)

Attachments

John J Spokas

Reaction score
IMHO, a lot depends on the elevation-how far north combined factors ... which can mean longer longevity of even below 0° F temperatures. I am sure some like us here in ND the winter operators' focus tends to be be on the 2 overhead doors for each bay. Specific current local competition in those similar areas ... might also drive how often the operator's large bay doors are somewhat forced to be used. Like most operators at all weather regions ... we definitely hope for a mild winter. Also in an effort to keep our costs down... we do our own snow removal.

Not that we broadcast this ... but we kind of shout to ourselves "yea" "more" in favor ... when the city uses its sometimes controversial "beet juice" to help deal with icy slippery streets! Oops ... our dirty little secret wish made public???
what is "beet juice"

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Maybe referring to Liquid Calcium Chloride? That's what they use here now. Some nasty stuff. But profitable for a CW!

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
beet juice is literally the juice squeezed out of beets.
Low freezing point, used by many of us rural folks as ballast in tractor tires.
Also used by some municipalities as a road deicer.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Wow! I couldn't imagine that purple dye all over a white car! We also use calcium Chloride to load tractor tires. But have never heard of beet juice!