What's new

EMV Credit Card compliance by April 2021

Zal

Reaction score
Anyone got advice on this? I was told EMV compliance by April or else your card reader will not work. Does anyone in the industry care to comment?
Thanks,
Mike

Roz

Reaction score
I do not believe anything is going to stop working in April as there are too many firms with old CC readers. You may find in 2021 that you are charged a fee for non-compliance with respect to CC processing - perhaps more than you want to pay.

MEP001

Reaction score
Anyone got advice on this? I was told EMV compliance by April or else your card reader will not work. Does anyone in the industry care to comment?
They've been saying that for 15 years. First everything was supposed to move to chip/PIN "by the end of the year" with swipe not being supported, and we're all still doing swipe. Who fed you this line of BS?

Zal

Reaction score
So what I was told - the gas station lobby got extensions every year. They are now compliant and will not lobby for more extensions. We don’t have the clout or numbers to be a concern. So yeh get compliant or what?

APW

Reaction score
The EMV deadline at the pump is April 2021. Fuel station operators have till then to comply with the EMV standard for paying at the pump or assume the liability for payment card fraud that happens at their facility.

I think everything will continue to work you will just assume the liability which I think we already have been.

OurTown

Reaction score
I think everything will continue to work you will just assume the liability which I think we already have been.

This is what I was thinking has been the case since 2015 when the other retailers were forced to.

slash007

Reaction score
We've already been assuming the liability. Any chargebacks for lost/stolen cards already say no remedy, no chip reader used.

Zal

Reaction score
Maybe Expat will view with a take from Hamilton. I just dont want any additional fees from the card companies

Expat

Reaction score
Maybe Expat will view with a take from Hamilton. I just dont want any additional fees from the card companies
Cards will still be processed via mag stripe readers beyond April, but the liability will be 100% on the merchant as it has been since 2015. This could involve:
  • Chargebacks initiated by customers (we've had a few merchants who said their customers know they can dispute charges when they use non-EMV readers, and have exploited this)
  • Bank fees/penalties to 'cover' their time for the chargeback request
  • Fees/charges from the banks that issue cards (I've read some cases where issuing banks have levied fees on a merchant for every transaction that was not processed via chip read)
We've never tried to fear-monger at Hamilton with EMV to encourage new hardware purchases, but in the past year EMV has surpassed mag as the credit card solution on all of our new kiosks. We've seen a fairly big uptick in retrofit kits for existing units too.

So much depends on the market a wash is in also. Higher-income areas tend to have less issues, whereas lower-income areas seem to be more susceptible to the customer-initiated chargebacks.

I'm not sure if processors will levy additional fees in April for non-EMV processing, I haven't heard anything but I would imagine they'd be notifying customers now if they were planning to.

Zal

Reaction score
If I update my Htk and goldline to EMV will it be one device for tap and chip?

Expat

Reaction score
Yep! We use the iUC285 by Ingenico, which is a 3-in-1 reader (chip, tap, swipe). It mounts directly into the existing bolt holes on the HTK and GL, so you don't need to do any quirky drilling or cutting. Processing is through Worldpay.

Right now, it can only process chip and mag but Worldpay is making a software update for us in January (I believe) to enable tap.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Yep! We use the iUC285 by Ingenico, which is a 3-in-1 reader (chip, tap, swipe). It mounts directly into the existing bolt holes on the HTK and GL, so you don't need to do any quirky drilling or cutting. Processing is through Worldpay.

Right now, it can only process chip and mag but Worldpay is making a software update for us in January (I believe) to enable tap.
Please let us know when that is available.

thanks

Reactions: Zal

mac

Reaction score
Anyone remember that we were to fully switch over to the metric system by the end of the decade?

Expat

Reaction score
Anyone remember that we were to fully switch over to the metric system by the end of the decade?
Don't say things like that! As a British expatriate who has lived in the US for 13 years, I still do most of my graphic design and measurements in metric :p

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
I concur with Carwashking, Wish there was an answer from Cryptopay. I just installed their swipers and am thinking of upgrading to the new Commander but would like to keep everything the same as opposed to getting another processor.

MEP001

Reaction score
I concur with Carwashking, Wish there was an answer from Cryptopay. I just installed their swipers and am thinking of upgrading to the new Commander but would like to keep everything the same as opposed to getting another processor.
You can use Worldpay with any equipment that doesn't lock you in to their merchant processor.

Roz

Reaction score
AS FYI, WorldPay has really upped their game with a new (ish) app that puts a lot of data and functions at your fingertips.

sparkey

Reaction score
You had me until you said worldpay. They are impossible to deal with. If you call them you better not plan on doing anything for the next hour or so. They have locked me out of my account so many times I have given up on ever logging on to it again. They lock your account if you don't log on for so many days and it takes an act of god to get it unlocked. They ask you so many security questions just to talk to someone and the questions are different every time. Of course the questions they ask you are not something you have immediate access to like a simple pin number, your ssn or stuff like that.