What's new

Does adding additional bays make sense?

Cool Wash

Reaction score
Hello Experts,

I have been following this forum for quite some time and I am amazed to find so much valuable information. Your willingness to share is incredible.
I am in a dilemma to figure out the best option. I have a 8 bays self service and it is performing very well. During weekend peak hours, I have observed around 5 customers turn back every hour because all bays are occupied. No such issues during weekday. I do have open space to add 3 bays. What I do not understand is that % of these customers (ones who turn back) actually go to other places vs. % return at a later time. I do have 2 Express wash within 2 miles and one run-down (rarely any one washes there. It is behind an oil change store). My big question is that will it make sense to add 3 bays?

I appreciate your comments. Thank you in advance!!!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
If that is your local situation & you are located in not as a "rough & tumble" severe wintertime area like us ... I would say at least get some bids from a few contractors to see how costly it would be to add the 3 extra bays. Pumping stands have become more compact in recent years ... so ER space might be less of an issue than many might think. The position of the ER to the new bays because of distance might be a little factor too.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Why not? There's a car wash in San Antonio with 15 bays, and they have people waiting all day Saturday and Sunday.
Just to add a thought ... bids from contractors & cost of ER add'l equipment might be proportionally less costly than "just adding 1 bay". I visited a car wash when I was in Houston, TX that was like that ... even on a rainy day they were packed. They probably wished they had the room to expand. BTW the "person in charge" was super nice to me ... that I will always appreciate. I remember the very innovative car wash was not too far from Rice University.

chaz

Reaction score
Maybe staff wash on busy days to help increase bay turnover.... ie: at my wash we have a policy and simple signage... “ please exit bay when timer is not running if others are waiting”. On busy days we politely remind customers to exit the bay to complete drying etc....as you’d want if you were waiting. Just a thought but it may help increase biz.

Also...how are you priced? Perhaps raise prices (I’m $3/4 min and & $2/6 min on vac). You can likely make more money with fewer customers and no increased capital!!

Cool Wash

Reaction score
Thank you all For great comments. Thought about adding an IBA but I do not have staging area. My ER has enough room for additional SS equipment. Great idea about tweaking with pricing. Again, is it your experience that some customers return at a later time?

MEP001

Reaction score
Maybe staff wash on busy days to help increase bay turnover
I know it's not for everyone, but I try to be at the wash as much as I can when it's busy and get to know the customers. Being a nameless, faceless business, they don't care about making a mess or tying up a bay, but things have vastly improved at my wash in the 1½ years I've had it. The trash cans may get piled high, but at least they're piling it on the cans and not just scooping it out on the ground around the vac islands.

Last edited:

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Just raise your prices. That will probably increase the revenue similarly to what adding bays would, and you don't have to front the expense/headache of construction.

If you still have customers waiting, then add the bays. Or even better an IBA.

chaz

Reaction score
In my area...there’s one other s/s nearby and two within 3 miles. I’m the most expensive and that’s fine with me. My equipment runs well and we respond quickly to issues. I’d like to think (especially regulars) that leave when busy do comeback later....but I’ve really have monitored that. Again...maybe you are already priced right.....but I’d bet you could stand for an increase. When I doubled my vac start price (also went from 4 to 6 min) I had some complaints....and a few that drove off. Most appreciated more time (that I promoted with decals) 6 min allows for quality vac. I could’ve lost half my vac biz and still been ahead with less maintenance etc....my vac biz actually went up....and my mess down. Making more $ with no investment is certainly worth your thoughts. Let us know what u decide.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Why not? There's a car wash in San Antonio with 15 bays, and they have people waiting all day Saturday and Sunday.
Maybe because he doesn't have his wash in a city of 1 million?
Or maybe he wants to see how 1 bay goes, then add 2 more IF NEEDED?
Adding 1 bay is about $25k, 3 bays may be $60k.
His wash is only really busy 1 or 2 days/week, & he may wanna just raise prices to offset the potential loss of business.
Perhaps he may see added value in an IBA, & adding 3 bays may squash that future expansion.
Maybe, like most SS wash owners, he will soon tire of it, & having the extra space leaves ideas, & thus potential "meat on the bone" , which would entice more potential buyers....
Outside of that, Im in agreement with you.

STXCW

Reaction score
How much are you generating per bay monthly right now? Take that number and see how long it will take to get your money back.

Cool Wash

Reaction score
Great discussions gentlemen! My current per bay monthly wash only ave is 1900.

soonermajic

Reaction score
That's an INCREDIBLE per SS bay avg!!
I change my vote to build 3 more SS bays!😁🤑

Cool Wash

Reaction score
THANK YOU again. I have decided to raise prices first and wait 4-6 weeks to assess demand (after raising prices) and if demand still holds, I will add 3 more bays.

cooll903

Reaction score
what about adding two bays and the room you have for a third bay be used for dual dog wash stations?

chaz

Reaction score
Great discussions gentlemen! My current per bay monthly wash only ave is 1900.
what are your current charges for vac and wash? Like I said above....that’s likely an easy and free way to increase revenue per bay.....

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Great idea about tweaking with pricing. Again, is it your experience that some customers return at a later time?
One of the Benefits of the "Superbay" with a higher price is some may choose to use it for the Higher pressure. Some may use it because it is empty due to those wanting the less expensive one. So it's sort of Demand Pricing. As someone said above - try to mke certainpeople leave a bay when they are done washing and don't spend a lot of time i the bay to dry or whatever.

chaz

Reaction score
THANK YOU again. I have decided to raise prices first and wait 4-6 weeks to assess demand (after raising prices) and if demand still holds, I will add 3 more bays.
great idea. What are your current and new prices. Also.....FYI...when I made the change I just did it. I installed new pricing signs ( not just new stickers) and made the change. In the case of my vacs.....I added small starburst stickers proclaiming now more time. I downplayed the price change .... only a few customers said something....and they understood the need and appreciate good working well maintained wash.

plus....the new pricing will also help pay for any upgrades you end out making

Etowah