Reaction score
Found it.

According to this site

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

You are correct.
It's a double-edge sword. People are shocked to learn that:
1. You taped their conversation. and;
2. You legally can.

But, if I were sitting on a jury I'd distrust anyone who taped a phone conversation unless there was a pretty good reason to do it.

I ALWAYS tape phone calls with insurance adjusters I'm working a disputed hail claim with - I've been lied to so many times by them that they are assumed to be a liar from the get go. It really is funny watching the gears in their head begin turning after you show them that you recorded a previous conversation and they're trying to remember whether or not they said something they shouldn't have. lol

jimbeaux

Reaction score
Damage Claims

I had a young lady run into my six month old Odyssey not too long ago. I drove up just as she was picking up her bumper & other pieces, including part of my machine. I identified myself as the owner as I asked her what happened. She starts apologizing saying it was her fault while trying to hold back her tears. I, like a fool, told her it was OK that I could probably repair the machine & she could fix her truck and we would call it even.
The next day she & her husband were there taking pictures to turn into the insurance company, MY INSURANCE! I told them it wasn't necessary as I had video of her running into my new carwash & HER INSURANCE CO. would get a copy of it. It did not deter them at all. After their insurance received the video the only thing they wanted to know was the amount of the damage to my machine & the downtime. Received a check from them within two weeks.
Just another lying stupid customer not wanting to take responsibility for their actions.

Chiefs

Reaction score
No, we didn't pay. Instead we had the customer go up to the police department armed with the video and the license plate # of the customer who caused the accident. They had to argue out between them. We only pay if our equipment malfunctions - not when the customer does.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Because his insurance company pays, does not mean you have to pay. They will have to take you to court and "prove" that you were at fault. Was there a police report made? How many other bumpers were 'taken off' before and after this BMW came through? Just as I thought NONE. We have won against the insurance company demands. It is best to ignore their demands, or inquires.
So you think I should just ignore it and wait and see if they force the issue and serve me papers for a lawsuit? I guess that couldn't hurt, as they'll have a hell of a time trying to find me.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I would wait and then give all the info to your insurance company, with all of the details. In WA both parties need to know that they are being recorded. A guy was being threatened by the union, so he recorded it and when it ended up in court, he won that issue but the union insisted that he be charged with a felony for recording.

I too have recorded conversations and used them to win, but you do have some risk.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
No, we didn't pay. Instead we had the customer go up to the police department armed with the video and the license plate # of the customer who caused the accident. They had to argue out between them. We only pay if our equipment malfunctions - not when the customer does.
Good for you Bill. I'm glad things worked out in your favor.:)