What's new

Customers can't see ACW menu

dogwasher

Reaction score
My customers are complaining that they can't see my digital menu board on my Hamilton ACW and my WashGear credit card reader. Both LED read outs are so small my attendant cant see them on a sunny day. Is there something I can do?

vinh

Reaction score
U can buy a retrofit red led display kit from Hamilton or one from Dixmoor. Hamilton is $235 and Dixmoor is $350 when I had mine done. You can also buy a new green orginal display from Hamilton for a lot cheaper but it will only last a few years.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ditto/red dixmor display upgrade= only way to go.

zepher

Reaction score
I got an LED replacement from Dixmor and it's amazingly bright! There is no problem seeing in direct sunlight hitting the ACW. The Dixmor display replaces the fluorescent display that's in your ACW. You may have to jumper your controller though.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
U can buy a retrofit red led display kit from Hamilton or one from Dixmoor. Hamilton is $235 and Dixmoor is $350 when I had mine done. You can also buy a new green orginal display from Hamilton for a lot cheaper but it will only last a few years.
I didn't know Hamilton made a retrofit display until your post. The price you posted made it a no-brainer to buy Hamilton's over Dixmors, however, I just called Hamilton and the price is actually $284. Thats still cheaper than Dixmors but not as dramatic. Can anyone with experience with both retrofits comment on the differences or lack of? Is one better than the other?

Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
I believe Hamilton's is an LCD and not as big or bright as the Dixmor.

Randy

Reaction score
The new Hamilton ACW-4/5 Red scrolling LED display replaces the VFD (vacuum fluorescent display), there is no retro fit Red LED scrolling display from Hamilton for Goldline ACW display, if you want a Red scrolling display for the Goldline you have to get those from Dixmor. The Red scrolling display from Hamilton for the ACW-4/5 is a plug and play unit. The Dixmor ACW-4/5 display requires a modification to the main board, remove the 12 volt DC regulator and solder in a jump. Which Red scrolling display is brighter, The Dixmor Display is brighter. The Hamilton Red scrolling display is a great improvement over the VFD display that's used on the ACW-4/5 controllers.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture? I'm confused, does the new items your talking about fit into the small little window of the existing read out or do I need to cut in a new hole in my Hamilton acw door?

washnvac

Reaction score
I got 2 red displays from Randy here on the forum. One for a goldline, and one for an acw-4. They fit into the same little window. But the display is bright red, and is easily visible and readable in direct, bright sunlight. They are the way to go. I think they were $350 each, or close to that.

I think Randy posted a pic on here somewhere. Do a thread search and maybe it will come up.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Guys, I just happened to stop at another wash the other night and they had this LED read your explaining to me...it was amazing how bright and easy to read it was! So you use this same screen to scroll threw and get all your counts? I see instead of two rows of letters its now only one row.

Also I have a WashGear CC reader cut into the ACW face that is even harder to see than the Hamilton read out we are talking about...what can I do with this?

Randy

Reaction score
The Red scrolling display really pops out at you doesn’t it. The Red scrolling display will only fit on the newer single line display controllers. It will not fit on the older 2 line display controllers, the display on those controllers is soldered onto the board. Yes you use the same screen to scroll through your counts and settings.

I don’t know what you can do about the Wash Gear Display

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
I had one Dixmor installed and installed a Hamilton myself at another wash. I took the Hamilton out and had Randy install the Dixmor. There is not a tremendous difference but in the sun I could see a difference.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dixmor one has a sensor and gets brighter in sunlight.

ICEMAN1

Reaction score
Washgear makes a sunlight readable display. It is a swipe version. I have two goldlines and they both have them. I also have hamilton's VGA LCD display in both. I had them customized with my graphic and they are by far the best display i have seen, granted they are a little pricey but you also get a new faceplate which my goldlines needed anyway.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I had one Dixmor installed and installed a Hamilton myself at another wash. I took the Hamilton out and had Randy install the Dixmor. There is not a tremendous difference but in the sun I could see a difference.
Bud, are you saying you installed the Hamilton red led replacement display and have already replaced that? Was is not an improvement? On a 1-10 scale, how would you rate one display over the other.

I guess I should also ask, will the Dixmor retrofit easily mount to the Etowah Valley display holder that comes with the mars conversion kit that I have installed?

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dixmor one has a sensor and gets brighter in sunlight.
There is no sun light sensor in the Dixmor Red scrolling display.

The Dixmor Red scrolling display operates at a higher voltage 18 volts and the Hamilton display operates at 12 volts. The Dixmor Red scrolling display for the ACW-4/5 requires a jumper to be installed on the main board and the voltage regulator removed. The Hamilton LED Red scrolling display is a plug and play unit, it is a great improvement over the VFD display that has been used forever.

Yes the Dixmor Red scrolling Display fits into the Mars validator retro-fit can nicely.