What's new

Custom Coin Boxes

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd certainly never go back to the Touchtron membrane switches. I remember the last time I replaced one, I came in the next day and someone had put a knife through one of the selections and ruined it. The newer buttons seem like they're pretty durable and I'd like to try them at some point.

DavidM

Reaction score
I prefer the buttons but I'm not sure I could make a strong argument to convince anyone that one is better than the other. I think buttons are more modern than that knobs and they have been almost trouble free. We have been using buttons since the 90s.

David

MEP001

Reaction score
Pgrzes, what timer are you using in the coinboxes? I wanted to get a new door with push buttons, but was told the LED7 couldn't handle it. I don't want to buy new timers...
I haven't looked into how to do it, but a bank of pushbuttons controlled by a PLC could be run by the timed load of a Dixmor. It wouldn't be too expensive.

slash007

Reaction score
Hmm. More than one vendor at the show told me that it wouldn't work. That includes Jim at EV. I wonder why? I would rather go to push buttons if I've changing the coin boxes as it would be a noticeable change.

What did you have before? I wonder if I can get a door like yours to replace my Coleman doors.

slash007

Reaction score
Will do. What did you end up paying for the setup? I would be reusing all of my current insides, so it shouldn't be too bad I hope.

MEP001

Reaction score
Hmm. More than one vendor at the show told me that it wouldn't work. That includes Jim at EV. I wonder why? I would rather go to push buttons if I've changing the coin boxes as it would be a noticeable change.
I've suggested several things to Jim at EV that he said wouldn't work that he ended up doing anyway and selling. There's no reason in the world that a LED7 wouldn't work to switch load to a PLC if all the PLC does is wait for a power input to control an output via the pushbuttons.

slash007

Reaction score
Sounds reasonable, not sure why they don't implement one. I also noticed different kinds of push buttons. Some where firmer than others and some claimed that their buttons had a higher water resistance rating. Any particular buttons that I should be looking for?

Brybrew

Reaction score
I would be interested in this as well. I have an Superior wash setup (auto replaced 5 years ago with a D&S) but my self serve is is an odd box size. would love to at least have a spare face-plate so I could change them out for service and updates like a cryptopay reader.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Give Doug a call at Ginsan. I put in all new hulls and doors.
At GinSan, Dan assisted me with adapting my odd sized Specialty Coin Boxes with one of GinSan's printed circuit boards. I already had the stainless steel buttons & improvised with our own in house fabricated faceplates. We gradually switched over to all our 6 bays & make sure we have spares etc. I believe it is more customer friendly to have buttons along with both providing dollar coins & making sure I don't have a sign stating "quarters only" on the coin part of the box.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score

What did you have before? I wonder if I can get a door like yours to replace my Coleman doors.
I know this is old.... but I never read this thread. I also talked to Pgrzes about Ginsan and why Ginsan was shipping Dixmor timers instead of their own timers.

But the main problem is really using Ginsan's button encoder board in your meter box.... if you check out Pgrzes FB page he has some crazy Ginsan decoder GS-65 for the signals (KR $260). The meter bay encoder board is only using 4 data wires to transmit all the functions to the equipment room.... up to 14 selections are available over just 4 wires.

So you need a GS-65 decoder and the button bay encoder board (KR $400 with no buttons) both are required. But the button system is independent of the timer.... the Ginsan timer whichever you use is really basically a standard timer.
http://www.ginsan.com/techspecs/tg-417 - Ultra Meter Box Wiring BA CCDC after 12-03.pdf

I also agree with Mep001.... you could build and purchase almost anything for <$600 to achieve just making the buttons work correctly. You could even pay Mep001 to program the plc for you. :)

slash007

Reaction score
True, but if you go with their 11 button door (10+stop) you don't need the decoder board. I verified that both the 11 and 13 button doors work with the Dixmor. The 13 just needs the extra decoder board which costs $221 or so direct from Ginsan. I still can't decide between rotary switch and buttons.... Rotary I would go with 12 position for sure, but with buttons I can't decide between 11 and 13. Buttons will also cost me at least double, maybe more regardless of which company I get the doors from.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I didnt have to get the decoder boards. Just reduces the amt. of wiring to the bay. On the timer, because I used Cryptopay and wanted count up with them. After more then a year having the new baydoors with the bill acceptors, Cryptopay w/ count up I feel that I have allready more than paid for everything. My coin sales were nearly the same as previous year. Add in Bills and Credit Card sales were way more than expected. Customers love the convenience and the new look of everything. Also adding a few new features!! The hand held blowers with count up on credit card are a home run!!!! You will see people try to get every drop off the card when they dont fight a buzzer!!

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
They do have 2 separate types on their website. (More on KR is seems?) The "GS-64 Touchtron Ultra" uses the 4 wire and the "Touchtron GS-60" uses multiple wires.

I would personally only consider purchasing the newest version (gs-64 according to their website). Even though the decoder cost $240 from KR.... I think it would save you time and money if you price out the wire you needed to make the runs.

The price per bay for the Ginsan equipment just adds up. But wiring is also expensive.

Overachiever

Reaction score
the newest version (gs-64 according to their website).
I received a quote after the expo for GS-65 so I would assume the website is out of date. I also had them price a 12 position rotary and buttons and the buttons were only about 100.00 more per meter box.

slash007

Reaction score
From what Doug told me, the decoder board is a must if using the 13 button system. That way you only use 8 wires to the bay. It is called "retrofit kit for Ultra system" on the quote, so not sure what model it is. Also, if I'm already running new wire to the bays, I wouldn't fee comfortable just running out 8 wires. You never know if you'll need the extra wires later for a different door or something else.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I received a quote after the expo for GS-65 so I would assume the website is out of date. I also had them price a 12 position rotary and buttons and the buttons were only about 100.00 more per meter box.
I am not sure what you are referring to when you say GS-65? But the decoder is a GS-65? I also believe Ginsan's website is out of date and I do not like the design.

From what Doug told me, the decoder board is a must if using the 13 button system. That way you only use 8 wires to the bay. It is called "retrofit kit for Ultra system" on the quote, so not sure what model it is. Also, if I'm already running new wire to the bays, I wouldn't feel comfortable just running out 8 wires. You never know if you'll need the extra wires later for a different door or something else.
Why not use the same wires?

I also believe the GS-65 is a no brainer.... It would cost about the same if you pulled that many wires (using an old ginsan encoder in the door). Plus ginsan probably does not support that old door controller anyway?

I believe I am missing something.... This should be easy and seems easy if you can get past the cost? It is a rotary button replacement and a new faceplate? If it is this complex that everyone has to call ginsan and get quotes.... maybe no one should purchase it? We are talking about 2 parts to the system.... an encoder and a decoder to send the selections to the equipment room.... just like a rotary switch. Just like Mep001 was talking about?

What is the quote from Ginsan for? We need to kickstart a new company instead.... first product. :)

slash007

Reaction score
View attachment 867 If I am going to replace my meter boxes, I figured that I would move them away from the middle of the bay and closer to one of the ends so that they don't keep getting in the way of the water:) If I do that, I would have to run new wires as what I have now wouldn't reach. Plus on a couple of bays I've had to use a different wire for some functions as they seem to have shorted somewhere along the way. So new wires would be safer. What I am looking at doing is buying the whole box with a built in vault and bolting it on the wall like I have now. I am using two boxes currently, but figured I'd do a all in one. For the box, decoder and door with 13 buttons it is around $2300. That is with nothing else included as I would reuse my timer and bill acceptor etc.

I have an 8 position rotary now and wanted to add more functions. So I was going to switch to a 10 position in my current boxes, but would rather have more, so I figured I would just get a new box and then move it to a better position and run new wires while I was at it.