What's new

Cryptotap Plus

OurTown

Reaction score
What will we do about the Worldpay Store Cards program if going swiperless? Will they make the cards with the Tap to Pay built in?

What about the people that use credit cards that don't have the Tap to Pay built in? Force them to use a phone? (assuming it is capable) I have several cards from the largest credit union in Ohio that do not have the Tap to Pay built in. It is also headquartered near-ish to our wash and I see a lot of the cards. They are a unique green color.

If installing one of these and keeping the swiper can we use just the separate button for the stop button and make the one on the swiper be dormant? (or maybe use the buttonless swipers?)

OurTown

Reaction score
Cryptopay told me several years ago they tried several types of chip readers and they did not hold up in a self serve bay.

OurTown

Reaction score
I talked to Cryptopay on the phone the other day about the Cryptotap Plus. It is a setup that is used instead of the swiper and not meant to be used in conjunction. They are out there now in customer's hands so if you order some they won't take long to get. They just can't quite make them fast enough to keep ins stock. There are plans for a QR code generator but for now you have to get in touch with them for a custom one and get it activated. For example you can get one for using as an attendant card since the cards they have won't work with this tap reader. I asked why the button did not flash after activation in the video and he did not know why that was. Later we were talking about the button wiring and apparently there are only two wires. That may be why it did not flash because the LED halo ring must be wired in series with the switch and not separate like the swiper button wiring. (it has four wires) There are no plans to offer a system for tap-to-pay store cards so if you want to use those Worldpay store cards then you still need swipers. The new reader does still have the two coin counting wires so there are now 8 wires instead of the 6 on the swipers. They have no plans at this time to discontinue the swipers or original Cryptotap. We are closed down now for a very large remodel and was thinking of opening back up with the new Plus tap on all vacs and bays. After getting all the info we decided to just have the antiquated two piece swiper/tap for now. The Plus would have saved space though especially on the small vac meter box doors.

Randy

Reaction score
We are talking about removing all of our credit card readers and installing only the Cryptopay tap and pay readers. Thanks Shane for sharing all that information.

TMoliver

Reaction score
So you are not warred about the 40 /50% of your customers who whose credit cards are Chip and mag strip only. I do not have any phone pay setup and do not plain on it, too much security issue as I see it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
The tap process appears to a bit like the Sam's Club Gasoline fill up process that requires the use of a smart phone's camera on their displayed QR code that has been around for a few years & I have used many times from its beginning. When it worked 100% ... I did notice that it was a time saver over the card insert.

TMoliver

Reaction score
It may or may not be. As you very well know a lot of people do not own an I phone. So why miss out on the other revenue from customers who do not trust phone wallets.

OurTown

Reaction score
It may or may not be. As you very well know a lot of people do not own an I phone. So why miss out on the other revenue from customers who do not trust phone wallets.

Android phone have the same high security feature as an iPhone that only transmits a one time use token instead of the actual card number. That way if it was intercepted then the thief could not use it again. The RFID inside most credit cards work the same way.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Mobile phone theft tends to be very much on the increase ... so maybe that could be a consideration?

TMoliver

Reaction score
I know that NFC wallet is in most but not all Android phones. I do not want my cell phone to have my credit card information available, that is just me. As for Tap To Pay, I do use it from time to time but have found that several service stations, C-stores and grocery stores in this area still do not have it activated so I prefer to insert the chip myself.

Again, Why limit your credit card acceptance to only Phone pay or Tap To Pay. I know an operator in KC area that 30+% of his credit card use was mag stripe debit cards, no chip nor nfc. His customers base just does not do tap to pay transactions.

Just mt 2 tokens worth!

OurTown

Reaction score
Again, Why limit your credit card acceptance to only Phone pay or Tap To Pay. I know an operator in KC area that 30+% of his credit card use was mag stripe debit cards, no chip nor nfc. His customers base just does not do tap to pay transactions.

Just mt 2 tokens worth!

That is why we are going to stick with the two part swiper and tap for now. Not ready for tap only.

Blanco

Reaction score
Received my order of tap readers today. There was this note in each readers bag.

Attachments