What's new

Cryptopay for vacs??

br549ms

Reaction score
Always drill stainless steel slow, if you are seeing long cuttings the speed is correct. Stainless is relatively soft.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I am considering adding swipers to 2 JE Adams vacs. I have a cobalt drill bit however I am not making progress on the holes. Anyone have some insight as to an easier way to drill the two holes? Cannot find a way to remove the door so I can use a drill press. Thank you.
Go to fastenal and get a few 1/8" drill bits, a good step drill and a can of tapping foam. DRILL SLOW.

MEP001

Reaction score
I always start a pilot hole for stainless with a 1/8" cobalt bit, Triumph brand from Fastenal are really good. I can drill hundreds of pilot holes with one bit. If you don't have a Fastenal, the Milwaukee bits available at Home Depot are excellent. I can go straight from 1/8" pilot hole to 3/8" bit in 1/4" thick stainless. I don't usually use oil but it doesn't hurt. With or without oil, it's imperative that you drill at the slowest speed you can control and use lots of pressure. Don't use a center-punch on stainless as it will create a hardened spot where you want to drill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roz

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Go to fastenal and get a few 1/8" drill bits, a good step drill and a can of tapping foam. DRILL SLOW.
Some body shop friends introduced us to 1/8" bits that are specifically designed for drilling out weld rivets. Small in length ... drill point on both sides ... we found them to be a good starting hole. Otherwise I agree with what the others said.

Being a higher denomination coin advocate ... I appreciate the honesty about "stating just the facts" ... & not pretending that whatever CC on Vacs is some kind of glowing panacea. Having said that ... I have told many customers that it seems like to CC correctly ... the entire facility should accept CC on every receptacle. From our experience of having had an affordable "pay for itself" ATM can be an option & even a solution to making sure there is cash for "no CC" vacs. No cash on them people ... can get just what they need at that point in time with very little hassle &/or time lost ... & also to give some banks & credit unions credit for paying any fees their customer incurs at all ATMs. I am thinking that it is a strategy for them to save on hiring more tellers expense ... not sure.

New Washdog

Reaction score
I worked in the aerospace machining industry for over 28 years. Stainless is a soft metal, that conducts heat very well and becomes gummy when drilling at to fast an RPM, thereby sticking to your drill creating even more heat. Heat is the enemy of your drill bits. Drilling at a slow speed creating a long stringy drill chip as mentioned above along with something to cool and lubricate is the only way to drill it. Getting good quality Cobalt drill bits are key , and ones with a TiN (Titainium Nitride) coating are even better!

Reactions: Roz