What's new

Cryptopay for Unitec Wash Select

Etowah

mac

Reaction score
Little follow up. Replaced the swiper and the issue went away. Don’t know how much I lost in business, but it was a lot more than the swiper cost.

AutoSpaMobMO

Reaction score
Just got my two Cryptopay retro kits for my Wash Selects. Kinda pissed off that they don't provide the new lexan face like they had advertised. Went back and watched their video on their website today. The very first video goes through all the components that are included with the kit, specifically new Lexan faceplate which looks beautiful. Second video describes installation of the new Lexan faceplate....oh but wait...they added a slide in the middle of the installation that lets you know you'll now receive a decal instead. How informative. Decal seems less than impressive. Pretty flimsy, nothing heady duty or impressive about this thing. I'd pay extra for the Lexan.

Shame on me I guess for not reading all the fine print for changes since I last read it all.
How are you liking your Cryptopay retor kits. I am closing next week May 26th on my first wash and the current owner added cryptopay to his wash selects a year or two ago. I was curious if you are liking them or not and if you would do it again?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
How are you liking your Cryptopay retor kits. I am closing next week May 26th on my first wash and the current owner added cryptopay to his wash selects a year or two ago. I was curious if you are liking them or not and if you would do it again?
[/QUOTE

AutoSpa, I wish I could tell you. They haven't been installed yet for several reasons. First, Worldpay just got my account set up last week. Second, April was incredibly busy and I didn't want to get rushed trying to install and work out any bugs. In the meantime, I have purchased and am waiting on two used Wash Selects and am hoping to upgrade those doors for a quick, simple swap out. Once I get them installed, I will post my experiences and some pictures.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Finally got my WS doors swapped out with the two used ones I bought and changed to Cryptopay. I have to say, so far so good. I’m kinda shocked right out of the gate that the Tap’n Pay is running about 20% of card purchases.

The GoGreen receipts are a bit wanky. The website doesn’t work from your phone, at least mine. You can pull it up but you can’t input the needed data because I don’t believe it’s formatted properly. They work fine from my desktop although when I tried to get a receipt for my Apple Pay purchase its not possible.

Installing the decal is by far the hardest part. Fairly flimsy with lots of cut outs to try to line up if you want it to look good. Overall, for the cost and effort I’m happy. Hopefully they continue to operate just as they have been.

Attachments

quackers

Reaction score
Is anyone ever having an issue with their wash select II / cryptopay where customer selects wash/swipes card and it comes back with "Sale Approved" on the screen but doesn't start the wash? We've had cryptopay for about 7 years and we have a couple of pay stations out of 9 wash select II's with cryptopay on them that every once in a while this problem shows up. We've never been able to pinpoint the exact cause working with Unitec, Crytpopay or our local distributors yet. Sometimes it happens when a customer either doesn't fully get the wash package button pushed or doesn't push it at all or button is broken and that is a simple fix to replace the broken button or push a wash package and it'll start. This is a little different, sometimes the screen will say sale approved and then it might flicker "Add $1.00" or "Add $2.00". If you select a cheaper package than what the customer has selected it will usually start the wash. if we're standing there we usually will just issue the wash from the UCC and the pay station will be frozen still in that state. It usually remains that way for 15 minutes or so without a power cycle to reset it. But if you press a cheaper wash package button it'll usually start the wash so it has received some amount of $1 token coin pulses from the reader just not all of them to start the package selected by the customer. Essentially the swiper seems to think it has sent all pulses through but the pay station only is receiving 15 out of 16 or 17 out of 19 for example on a $16/$19 priced wash. We've tried replacing mother boards in wash select II's, replacing buttons, replacing memory chips, re-wiring card reader wires to make sure they aren't loose, unplugging and re-plugging ribbon cable from display board, swapping out with new ribbon cables, swapping out with new card reader swipers. We are in the KCMO region and have spoke to others locally who've experienced the same symptoms. Sometimes they show up and go away on own or usually through the various changes we've made they go away for a while. It doesn't seem like there is 1 rhythm or reason why this happens but starting to think it has something to do with connections of cryptopay wires to the paystation connector pins and cycles of hot cold where it goes from 90s to 50s and maybe expansion/contraction of the parts. Doesn anyone else have any experience with it?

mac

Reaction score
It sounds like you have done all the troubleshooting that I can think of. This is a real headschrater. Please let us know how it goes.

1carwash1

Reaction score
Just throwing out an idea. Is your pre authorization set higher than your most expensive wash?

APW

Reaction score
Just throwing out an idea. Is your pre authorization set higher than your most expensive wash?
Mine is set the same as the top wash ($20). It has been 2 weeks since it has done it. Weird that none of my other wash selects do it, just the one.

quackers

Reaction score

Yes, our pre-auth has been set to $20 for years now and we did not update this at all. We did recently make price changes to our packages.

Last edited:
Etowah

quackers

Reaction score
Unitec support saw this post and reached out to us (thanks Julie). They suggested we strip back / re-land all 6 wire connections to the J1 & J3 power and I/o display board green plastic phoenix connectors which is a new suggestion we have never tried. Theory is overtime some of them may have become loose from vibration of door open/closing, dirty etc causing inconsistent power between the main cpu mother board and display I/o board on the door especially with big temp swings. We have only done this with the pins on those connectors that the 3 Cryptopay wires land on previously. Cryptopay did say once a couple years back that it seemed like the reader was losing power briefly during pulse cycle. I guess if we have some power loss between cpu board and I/o board that could make sense. Maybe it’s so slight as just a screen flicker you may not notice. Unitec did say we’ve got to have good consistent power to the display I/o board on door and consequently the Cryptopay swiper which wires into j1/j3 connectors. We don’t have any of the Hamilton’s but I imagine it could be something to try on those as well. So we did this today and we’ll report back after letting it run a while. Pic attached to try and help illustrate.

Attachments

APW

Reaction score
Unitec support saw this post and reached out to us (thanks Julie). They suggested we strip back / re-land all 6 wire connections to the J1 & J3 power and I/o display board green plastic phoenix connectors which is a new suggestion we have never tried. Theory is overtime some of them may have become loose from vibration of door open/closing, dirty etc causing inconsistent power between the main cpu mother board and display I/o board on the door especially with big temp swings. We have only done this with the pins on those connectors that the 3 Cryptopay wires land on previously. Cryptopay did say once a couple years back that it seemed like the reader was losing power briefly during pulse cycle. I guess if we have some power loss between cpu board and I/o board that could make sense. Maybe it’s so slight as just a screen flicker you may not notice. Unitec did say we’ve got to have good consistent power to the display I/o board on door and consequently the Cryptopay swiper which wires into j1/j3 connectors. We don’t have any of the Hamilton’s but I imagine it could be something to try on those as well. So we did this today and we’ll report back after letting it run a while. Pic attached to try and help illustrate.
Thanks for the update. I will try this as well.

chrisg

Reaction score
Quackers, curious to know if this helped? I’m having similar issues.

Watchout1976

Reaction score
Quackers, curious to know if this helped? I’m having similar issues.
This is such bs! I've done everything except rip it out. Any luck on your end??

chrisg

Reaction score
This is such bs! I've done everything except rip it out. Any luck on your end??
I had a couple of calls with DRB so far and it has not resulted in a solution as of yet. What I do know so far is if I pull the J13 or J14 connectors out of the I/O board then I can reproduce the problem. But they don’t know why that is.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Have you checked all voltages on that connector? One should be 12VDC, One 5VDC,and one 24VAC. I was having intermittent problems (different than described here, the display screen would go blank and the unit lock up) and it turned out to be my 5VDC was apparently too low at around 4.2 if I recall. When I disconnected the display board LEDs the voltage increased to almost 5VDC and the problem went away.

Watchout1976

Reaction score
Does your pay station stay idle in this "the wash is now ready" mode for
I had a couple of calls with DRB so far and it has not resulted in a solution as of yet. What I do know so far is if I pull the J13 or J14 connectors out of the I/O board then I can reproduce the problem. But they don’t know why that is.
Does your cashier stay idle in the "the wash is now ready" mode for the same duration every time? What is boggling my mind is that my cashier
Have you checked all voltages on that connector? One should be 12VDC, One 5VDC,and one 24VAC. I was having intermittent problems (different than described here, the display screen would go blank and the unit lock up) and it turned out to be my 5VDC was apparently too low at around 4.2 if I recall. When I disconnected the display board LEDs the voltage increased to almost 5VDC and the problem went away.
Interesting Greg. Ty for chiming in. I would have to say my screen is posing a similar issue as it flickers but any flickering tells me a voltage loss somehwhere and what you have provided is helpful.
Well so far the offering of this information seems to make the most sense as I to seem to have flickering issue before it happens and yes locking up. Sounds like this info could be helpful. I will def give a whirl and report back. I recognize your contributions to the group on other matters from time to time. So ty for being transparent on your findings from past situations.

chrisg

Reaction score
Hi Greg, interesting you should ask and yes my paystation is exhibiting the same as you describe. DRB had me test those pins with a voltmeter. My voltmeter may not be the best and it’s digital so the read on the 5VDC came out to 4 and the read on the 12VDC came out to 11. The 24VAC was reading at 27. DRB was suspecting the power supply but they were not certain so they wanted to test for another hour by having me unplug and plug back in different connectors. Sometimes the screen goes blank and just start making a clicking sound. Other times the paystation will accept payment and then say proceed but the wash doesn’t start. I’ve restripped several wires, I’ve remove the cryptopay swiper thinking that might have something to do with it, and I’ve checked for moisture in the box.